2005 x3 Climate Control Issues

Old November 25th 06, 06:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
FB

Default 2005 x3 Climate Control Issues

I have a 2005 X3 with automatic climate control. I can't seem to get the
heat to work correctly. The A/C works fine but now that it's getting cold, I
need heat. (I bought it used and this is the first winter I've had it.)

If I leave the auto control on, and turn off the a/c button, all I get is
cold air coming out of the center section. I try raising the auto temp but
it does no good. If I switch to manual air flow, I can get warm air to come
out of the floor section and window section, but the center console still
blows cold air. I close the air recirculation so only the cabin air is being
heated. The A/C button is off.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or any suggestions on how to get it to
work correctly. And, if in the manual mode I switch on the front window
defroster, it shuts off all other air flow.

TIA

Old November 25th 06, 09:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article > ,
FB > wrote:
> I have a 2005 X3 with automatic climate control. I can't seem to get the
> heat to work correctly. The A/C works fine but now that it's getting
> cold, I need heat. (I bought it used and this is the first winter I've
> had it.)

> If I leave the auto control on, and turn off the a/c button, all I get
> is cold air coming out of the center section. I try raising the auto
> temp but it does no good. If I switch to manual air flow, I can get
> warm air to come out of the floor section and window section, but the
> center console still blows cold air. I close the air recirculation so
> only the cabin air is being heated. The A/C button is off.

It should give the cabin temperature that is set regardless of AC on or
off. Sounds like the unit is faulty. Does the outside air temperature
indicator read correctly? This has an effect on the interior heater.

> Is there anything I'm doing wrong or any suggestions on how to get it to
> work correctly. And, if in the manual mode I switch on the front window
> defroster, it shuts off all other air flow.

This is correct operation - the entire heater output on max is directed to
the screen to defrost it as quickly as possible.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 25th 06, 09:45 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:35:14 GMT, "FB" >
wrote:

>2005 X3 with automatic climate control.

>If I leave the auto control on, and turn off the a/c button, all I get is
>cold air coming out of the center section. I try raising the auto temp but
>it does no good. If I switch to manual air flow, I can get warm air to come
>out of the floor section and window section, but the center console still
>blows cold air.

I don't know if the X3 is the same, but on my 5 there's a thumbwheel
in between the two center vents that controls the air temperature from
those vents separately from the rest of the car. If that thumbwheel
was set all the way down to its coldest setting, I'd have exactly the
conditions you are describing.
--
Dan.
Old November 25th 06, 10:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom Scales

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:35:14 GMT, "FB" >
> wrote:
>
>>2005 X3 with automatic climate control.

>>If I leave the auto control on, and turn off the a/c button, all I get is
>>cold air coming out of the center section. I try raising the auto temp but
>>it does no good. If I switch to manual air flow, I can get warm air to
>>come
>>out of the floor section and window section, but the center console still
>>blows cold air.

> I don't know if the X3 is the same, but on my 5 there's a thumbwheel
> in between the two center vents that controls the air temperature from
> those vents separately from the rest of the car. If that thumbwheel
> was set all the way down to its coldest setting, I'd have exactly the
> conditions you are describing.
> --
> Dan.

That's what I thought too. It should be obvious, but blue is cold, red is
hot.

climate control Pedro BMW 0 August 28th 06 12:56 AM
Climate control 147 DrLargePants Alfa Romeo 0 July 5th 06 01:49 PM
147 climate control failure, but only when its cold xdeity Alfa Romeo 12 January 6th 06 03:38 PM
Electronic Stability Control, cross-referenced to NCAP safety ratings John Bartley Driving 0 January 2nd 06 08:09 PM
1999 Accord climate control question User Honda 4 November 5th 04 02:47 AM