Fuel starvation

Old January 8th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Fuel starvation

I can't get fuel from the tank on 79 Scout II. Carb so it just has a
sock type filter in the tank, pump is on the engine. I know line is
clear after the tank and pump is OK because I hung gallon can from door
handle, put line between tank and pump into the can and moved it from
the driveway to work area. It has been sitting a lot, and may have been
tampered with by an unhappy neighbor. Could sugar in the tank do this?
Dropped tank and don't see and problems, will pull "sock" tomorrow. 80
psi of air into the line didn't open it into tank.
Old January 8th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Are the rubber lines that go between the sender and frame lines good? The
deteriorate and collapse in on themselves. Replace 'em if you haven't
already. While you have them off, disconnect the line to the pump and blow
air through then to either clear them or to see if one of the hard lines is
pinched.

. ..

Old January 8th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Did both of those already.

Old January 8th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

About the sugar ... I recently saw an episode of "myth busters" I
believe the show is called. They loaded up a supply pan with sugar (and
gas) to the point the sugar was basically sloshing around in the bottom
of the pan. The carburated V8 they were running just kept running. In
your case, could be kids put something in the tank (I hear it happens
now and then with the cold air intake to high efficiency gas furnaces
,,, sand, dirt) but you would think 80 psi would clear it. I suppose by
now though you know what the problem is (was).

Old January 8th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:56:15 -0800, Robert Ball >
wrote:

>I can't get fuel from the tank on 79 Scout II. Carb so it just has a
>sock type filter in the tank, pump is on the engine. I know line is
>clear after the tank and pump is OK because I hung gallon can from door
>handle, put line between tank and pump into the can and moved it from
>the driveway to work area. It has been sitting a lot, and may have been
>tampered with by an unhappy neighbor. Could sugar in the tank do this?
>Dropped tank and don't see and problems, will pull "sock" tomorrow. 80
>psi of air into the line didn't open it into tank.

You know, a pin hole in the suction line will do just this! Lot's of
rust? I'd check that possibility as well.

Sugar in a gas tank won't hurt the engine (sugar is not soluable in
gas, only water), but might clocg the sock filter, but I doubt it.

As to back pressure--Uh, check valve... (AKA anti-drainback valve,
prevents fuel from draining back to the tank while sitting...)
Old January 8th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I replaced the suction line up to where it connects to hard line.
Pulled 20" of water vacuum on the line at fuel pump inlet with no leak
down in about 1 minute including from the tank.

However, I will check the check valve, don't remember seeing one, that
may be what I overlooked. Carb cleaner in the tank may have attacked
it, carb cleaner ate thru a fiberglass tank in my hovercraft. Lesson to
that, don't leave carb cleaner sitting long term; burn up the gas once
carb cleaner is added to tank (the pour in tank type).

Old January 9th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

> Dropped tank and don't see and problems, will pull "sock" tomorrow. 80
> psi of air into the line didn't open it into tank.

Did you have the filler cap off when you tried this experiment?

80lbs is more than the fuel pump can pull so this isn't just some muck
that got pulled into the line by the pump. If it really is a neighbor
tampering then maybe he dumped some glue in the tank.

If you have the line detached from the tank and nothing is coming out,
I'd try probing gently into the tank through the gas line fitting with
a piece of stiff wire.

Old January 10th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

We went house hunting instead of dropping the gas tank. I'll post what I
find.

Old January 21st 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

i had carb cleaner pug my sock ...one time ...it looked like sugar
crystals...

Old January 21st 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

It did have carb cleaner that ended up sitting so maybe I won't blame
the a**hole down the street that has called the city on 4 occasions to
try and get this vehicle out of my driveway. I complied and now my boat
sits under a tarp in the driveway, a whole lot uglier than my Scout that
was painted about 5 years ago and it kept washed.