'97 Expedition makes clunking/grinding sound when wheel is turned while moving

Old May 12th 05, 04:08 PM

Default '97 Expedition makes clunking/grinding sound when wheel is turned while moving

I have a '97 expedition with about 130k miles. Just replaced top and
botton ball joints
and idler-arm. Because the steering was loose and I was getting a
grinding / clunking noise while turning.

Replacing the ball joints fixed the loose steering, but the grinding /
clunking noise is still there. I can especially feel it when trying to
turn a corner from a stop. Kind of a thump thump thump noise. I've
also noticed that the general ride is rougher than it used to be as
well.

Anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

Old May 12th 05, 11:42 PM

On 12 May 2005 08:08:11 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I have a '97 expedition with about 130k miles. Just replaced top and
>botton ball joints
>and idler-arm. Because the steering was loose and I was getting a
>grinding / clunking noise while turning.
>
>Replacing the ball joints fixed the loose steering, but the grinding /
>clunking noise is still there. I can especially feel it when trying to
>turn a corner from a stop. Kind of a thump thump thump noise. I've
>also noticed that the general ride is rougher than it used to be as
>well.
>
>Anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

ya
your problem is in the diff
a little bit of axle wind up
are you in 4x4 on pavement i would call it normal
ya foctard
lmfao
hurc ast
Old May 17th 05, 12:36 AM

nope, not in 4x4. I'm finding the ride is getting more and more rough
as well. Wondering if it's time to replace the shocks. 140k miles or
so, and these are probably still the orig. ones. How do I tell if they
need to be replaced... also, what to look for in the diff? I'd prefer
to fix as much of it as possible myself, rather than pay a lot to a
garage.

Old May 17th 05, 06:39 PM
C. E. White

" wrote:

> nope, not in 4x4. I'm finding the ride is getting more and more rough
> as well. Wondering if it's time to replace the shocks. 140k miles or
> so, and these are probably still the orig. ones. How do I tell if they
> need to be replaced... also, what to look for in the diff? I'd prefer
> to fix as much of it as possible myself, rather than pay a lot to a
> garage.

Are you driving with the vehicle in the A4WD mode, or the
2WD mode? Is the noise different if you shift to the 4WD
High mode? Have you checked the front CV jonts? How about
the brake pads? Wheel bearings?

You might want to join the Expedition Owner's Mailing List
and ask your question to that group. See
http://xpog.com/mailman/listinfo/expedition_xpog.com

Regards,

Ed White
Old May 19th 05, 04:43 PM

I'm driving in 2wd mode. Haven't tried 4wd high yet. Brake pads are
fairly new. As I said
I just replaced upper/lower ball joints and tie rod ends. The mechanic
didn't say anything about CV joints... though that could have been my
fault as well. Is there an easy way I can check them myself? I have
no problem paying a garage to fix it if I cannot easily do it myself, I
just want to have a good idea of what needs to be done before I take it
in.

Old May 19th 05, 06:52 PM
Peter Freeman

I have a similar problem with my 94 Explorer. After I'm stopped and I turn
a corner I hear a rubbing/grinding noise and it feels like it is coming from
right under my seat.

Does anybody have any clues?

oups.com...

Old May 27th 05, 08:15 PM

Just bit the bullet and took my rig into the shop. They found a rear
axle seal that was leaking. They're scheduled to replace the seal,
bearings and maybe the axle shaft next week (won't know about the shaft
until they pull it and inspect it). Took them a while to find it ---
definately wasn't the CV joints though.

Old June 10th 05, 01:42 PM

Finally got it all fixed. I had 2 problems that were causing the
noise. One was a rear axle seal that was leaking, so they replaced the
bearings and the seal. The second was that the springs on either side
of the clutch pack in the differential were cracked all the way
through. Both have been replaced and no more grinding noise!!