1 to 4 and shift light

Old October 13th 04, 09:39 PM
Jazz Mann

Default 1 to 4 and shift light

I own a 1992 lt1 vette.

I am new to vette ownership, so I am still learning alot of new
things.

I was driving around the other day and niticed a light on my car that
flashed like, just a SPLIT second. I would watch it as I drove
(glancing) and it was so fast I really couldnt read it.

I took a flashlight out a few days ago, and determinded that it is
either my "Shift" light, or my "1 to 4" light.

I have not seen either of these lights come on, except for the 4 or 5
times when I saw them flash very quickly.

Do I have a shirt in one of them? Did the former owner somehow disable
1 to 4 AND the shift light?

Thanks!
Jazz Mann
Old October 13th 04, 09:49 PM
Jack Conley

the 1 to 4 light will come on when it senses that there is very little load
on the engine. if you cruise a little slower, it will come on for about 3-4
seconds. i think it comes on between 13-19 mph with little load on the
engine. if you just accelerate normal or a little fast, it will not come on.
also, if you try to shift while the light is on, it will lock out 2nd and
3rd and force you to shift from 1st to 4th. this is normal in 6-speeds. you
can bypass it though with a skip shift module.

"Jazz Mann" > wrote in message
om...
>I own a 1992 lt1 vette.
>
> I am new to vette ownership, so I am still learning alot of new
> things.
>
> I was driving around the other day and niticed a light on my car that
> flashed like, just a SPLIT second. I would watch it as I drove
> (glancing) and it was so fast I really couldnt read it.
>
> I took a flashlight out a few days ago, and determinded that it is
> either my "Shift" light, or my "1 to 4" light.
>
> I have not seen either of these lights come on, except for the 4 or 5
> times when I saw them flash very quickly.
>
> Do I have a shirt in one of them? Did the former owner somehow disable
> 1 to 4 AND the shift light?
>
> Thanks!
> Jazz Mann

---

Old October 13th 04, 09:49 PM
Jack Conley

the 1 to 4 light will come on when it senses that there is very little load
on the engine. if you cruise a little slower, it will come on for about 3-4
seconds. i think it comes on between 13-19 mph with little load on the
engine. if you just accelerate normal or a little fast, it will not come on.
also, if you try to shift while the light is on, it will lock out 2nd and
3rd and force you to shift from 1st to 4th. this is normal in 6-speeds. you
can bypass it though with a skip shift module.

"Jazz Mann" > wrote in message
om...
>I own a 1992 lt1 vette.
>
> I am new to vette ownership, so I am still learning alot of new
> things.
>
> I was driving around the other day and niticed a light on my car that
> flashed like, just a SPLIT second. I would watch it as I drove
> (glancing) and it was so fast I really couldnt read it.
>
> I took a flashlight out a few days ago, and determinded that it is
> either my "Shift" light, or my "1 to 4" light.
>
> I have not seen either of these lights come on, except for the 4 or 5
> times when I saw them flash very quickly.
>
> Do I have a shirt in one of them? Did the former owner somehow disable
> 1 to 4 AND the shift light?
>
> Thanks!
> Jazz Mann

---

Old October 14th 04, 12:30 AM
Bob I

Ease it up to about 15 mph in 1st gear, after it warms up, the light
should come on, now try to shift to second. If it drops right into
second, the solenoid was disconnected. If second gear is blocked out and
diverting to 4th, it's still hooked up. Either way if it's just flashing
and you just noticed, it's not interfering with your fun! :-)

Old October 14th 04, 12:30 AM
Bob I

Old October 14th 04, 08:00 AM
Bob G.

>Do I have a shirt in one of them? Did the former owner somehow disable
>1 to 4 AND the shift light?
>
>Thanks!
>Jazz Mann

=============
I know their has to be an original owner or former owner of a Manuel
Trans equipted Corvette that DID NOT disable the 1st to 4th shift... I
jst never meet him or her personally....

if all you see is the damn light flashing for 1/2 second you got one
of the 99 percent of Corvettes with this feature disabled... LUCKY
YOU..

Look under the car at the transmission from the drivers side and see
if someone yanked the 2 cables loose and taped them closed or
installed a dummy connector ...

Now learn to punch the ABS off when you leave the garage and you will
get more enjoyment from the car...

Bob Griffiths
Old October 14th 04, 08:00 AM
Bob G.

=============

Old October 14th 04, 01:03 PM
Jazz Mann

What you are all saying is what I knew already thanks to researching
this group (and I thank you all!).
But this light does not "COME ON"; it flashes literally for about
1/10th of a second, one time... and 90% of the time, it ironically
happens when I am in 4th or 5th gear, normally when I am over 45 mph.

Sometimes it is the 1 to 4 light, other times it is the "shift" light
that does this. FWIW ive never seen the shift light come on as if to
indicate to me that the car would prefer that I shift at this point. I
used to own an S-10, and that light burnt a hole in my eye everytime
it wanted me to shift gears. This vette doesnt do that... thankfully I
guess, but still, the sudden flashes concern me that there may be a
shirt somewhere... hoping someone else here has had a similar
situation.
thanks in advance!

Old October 14th 04, 01:03 PM
Jazz Mann

Old October 14th 04, 01:04 PM
Jazz Mann

Oh, and Bob, thanks for the tips. Ill look under the hood today to
find out... id be interested in knowing more about this ABS "mod" you
speak of in the future...

Bob G. > wrote in message >. ..

> >Do I have a shirt in one of them? Did the former owner somehow disable
> >1 to 4 AND the shift light?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Jazz Mann

> =============
> I know their has to be an original owner or former owner of a Manuel
> Trans equipted Corvette that DID NOT disable the 1st to 4th shift... I
> jst never meet him or her personally....
>
> if all you see is the damn light flashing for 1/2 second you got one
> of the 99 percent of Corvettes with this feature disabled... LUCKY
> YOU..
>
> Look under the car at the transmission from the drivers side and see
> if someone yanked the 2 cables loose and taped them closed or
> installed a dummy connector ...
>
> Now learn to punch the ABS off when you leave the garage and you will
> get more enjoyment from the car...
>
> Bob Griffiths

156:Handbrake warning light comes on when I accelerate hard. Mincer Alfa Romeo 2 October 28th 04 07:46 AM
1st to 4th shift light? Fred Corvette 22 August 31st 04 01:29 AM
"1 to 4" shift light GAC25 Corvette 2 August 20th 04 02:58 AM
what is a shift kit Ralph Corvette 8 August 18th 04 12:34 AM