Tire presssure comparison

Old December 30th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Default Tire presssure comparison

My car currently has P235/60 R14's. Hard to find.
What would be the closest equivalent size
on the door sticker; E78-14 or E70-14?

Thanks

Old December 31st 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:11:48 GMT, "goodnigh"
> wrote:

>My car currently has P235/60 R14's. Hard to find.
>What would be the closest equivalent size
>on the door sticker; E78-14 or E70-14?
>
>Thanks

Unless it's a really unusual car (you never said what it was) 32 psi
works well for just about any vehicle.
Old December 31st 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:11:48 GMT, "goodnigh"
> > wrote:
>
>>My car currently has P235/60 R14's. Hard to find.
>>What would be the closest equivalent size
>>on the door sticker; E78-14 or E70-14?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> Unless it's a really unusual car (you never said what it was) 32 psi
> works well for just about any vehicle.

'71 Grande with Cleveland 4V 9" 3.73 posi.
Also has some suspension mods like sway bars and
rear air shocks you need to pump up now and then.
At 32, she breaks traction too much. That
is where all tire people set the pressure as that is what
the tire manufacturer recommends for best wear.
I was told to use the door sticker ratings as that is how
the car's geometry is setup for best performance.
While researching an article suggested by Steve, about clocks,
I discovered the E70 is pretty close to my P235/60.
Have heard when converting tire pressure to P metric,
you add 3 pounds. So 28 PSI front rear.

Old December 31st 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RJ

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:11:48 GMT, "goodnigh"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>My car currently has P235/60 R14's. Hard to find.
>>>What would be the closest equivalent size
>>>on the door sticker; E78-14 or E70-14?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>> Unless it's a really unusual car (you never said what it was) 32 psi
>> works well for just about any vehicle.

> '71 Grande with Cleveland 4V 9" 3.73 posi.
> Also has some suspension mods like sway bars and
> rear air shocks you need to pump up now and then.
> At 32, she breaks traction too much. That
> is where all tire people set the pressure as that is what
> the tire manufacturer recommends for best wear.
> I was told to use the door sticker ratings as that is how
> the car's geometry is setup for best performance.
> While researching an article suggested by Steve, about clocks,
> I discovered the E70 is pretty close to my P235/60.
> Have heard when converting tire pressure to P metric,
> you add 3 pounds. So 28 PSI front rear.

Take a piece of chalk, draw a line across the tread of the tire. Drive a
few revolutions of the tire, inspect the line drawn. If it is disappearing
in the middle faster then the ouside, lower the air pressure. If wearing
faster on the outside edges, raise the air pressure. There should be even
wear left to right. Did this with the monsters I have on the back of my 72,
excellent results.

Old January 1st 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

> Take a piece of chalk, draw a line across the tread of the tire. Drive a
> few revolutions of the tire, inspect the line drawn. If it is
> disappearing in the middle faster then the ouside, lower the air pressure.
> If wearing faster on the outside edges, raise the air pressure. There
> should be even wear left to right. Did this with the monsters I have on
> the back of my 72, excellent results.

Recently read that exact info.
While doing some research, I stumbled into the tire section.
The recommendation was to draw a chalk line, as you said.

My question is, why does Firestone recommend 32 PSI
while Ford recommends 28 PSI for the same tire.

Old January 1st 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

higher tire pressure = better gas mileage and better wear while lower
pressure = softer ride and faster wear
ink.net...