New concept tires change color when it is time for a new set of tires.

Old January 12th 13, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

Default New concept tires change color when it is time for a new set of tires.

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 05:50:31 -0800 (PST), gpsman
> wrote:

>Why don't you delay contesting who is wrong by returning to
>substantiating your assertion that hydroplaning is more dangerous than
>a blowout due to probability of occurrence...?
> -----
>
>- gpsman

Haven't been following this, but I'm positive IME hydroplaning is more
common than blowouts, and more dangerous.
Though I haven't had a blowout for years, and none were particularly
dangerous in terms of safely getting to a shoulder, I've slid past a
stop sign and into the intersection a few times due to hydroplaning,
even with good rubber. Mostly due I think to poorly performing rear
drum brakes that hadn't self-adjusted. My fault in the end, and I've
discussed this before.
Not even sure if that's technically "hydroplaning" as I don't know the
details about how that works with front versus rear braking.
I slow down when the water starts piling up, and brake earlier too.
Old January 12th 13, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:15:37 AM UTC-6, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 05:50:31 -0800 (PST), gpsman
>
> > wrote:
>

> >Why don't you delay contesting who is wrong by returning to

> >substantiating your assertion that hydroplaning is more dangerous than

> >a blowout due to probability of occurrence...?

> > -----

> >- gpsman

> Haven't been following this, but I'm positive IME hydroplaning is more
>
> common than blowouts, and more dangerous.
>
> Though I haven't had a blowout for years, and none were particularly
>
> dangerous in terms of safely getting to a shoulder, I've slid past a
>
> stop sign and into the intersection a few times due to hydroplaning,
>
> even with good rubber. Mostly due I think to poorly performing rear
>
> drum brakes that hadn't self-adjusted. My fault in the end, and I've
>
> discussed this before.
>
> Not even sure if that's technically "hydroplaning" as I don't know the
>
> details about how that works with front versus rear braking.
>
> I slow down when the water starts piling up, and brake earlier too.

Some people have 'that kind of luck' they can ride a bicycle with a big old knot on the side wall of one of the tires and that tire will never pop.
Old January 13th 13, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/12/2013 05:52 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In >, jim > wrote:
>> but what would we expect from nate "it's raining but i'm not slowing
>> down on my kojak tires, i'm going to keep going and then blame the
>> weather" idiot nagel. just like when you blame us for pointing out when
>> you've said something even more really incredibly stoooooopid than normal.

> I hate to tell you this, Jim, but a lot of people actually do that.

i'm not denying that for a moment.

> co-worker of mine wrecked his jeep that way. I think you'd be shocked
> at how badly a vehicle can be handling before typical drivers notice.
> --scott

right. but the fact still remains, that it's the driver's
responsibility if they don't drive according to conditions, especially
if they know they have bald tires*. even though it's practically normal
for them not to. it is /not/ normal to drive under the assumption that
you're just about to get a blowout.

* i myself got caught out at the beginning of the rainy season here.
hit some standing water, aquaplaned, SLOWED DOWN, got home, put my deep
tread wet weather tires on. that was 100% my own responsibility and my
mistake.

--
fact check required
Old January 13th 13, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, jim beam > wrote:

>right. but the fact still remains, that it's the driver's
>responsibility if they don't drive according to conditions, especially
>if they know they have bald tires*. even though it's practically normal
>for them not to. it is /not/ normal to drive under the assumption that
>you're just about to get a blowout.

Well, yes, but I think you're expecting a degree of competence on the
part of the average driver that we just don't have in this country.
Five minutes on the highway should demonstrate that.

>* i myself got caught out at the beginning of the rainy season here.
>hit some standing water, aquaplaned, SLOWED DOWN, got home, put my deep
>tread wet weather tires on. that was 100% my own responsibility and my
>mistake.

Right, but the guy behind you probably didn't bother to do this when he
started to skid, he just drove on through hoping it would go away. The
problem for us is that we're all sharing the road with that guy and he
is probably going to be passing us the next time he loses control.
--scott

Old January 13th 13, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/13/2013 08:35 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >, jim beam > wrote:
>>
>> right. but the fact still remains, that it's the driver's
>> responsibility if they don't drive according to conditions, especially
>> if they know they have bald tires*. even though it's practically normal
>> for them not to. it is /not/ normal to drive under the assumption that
>> you're just about to get a blowout.

> Well, yes, but I think you're expecting a degree of competence on the
> part of the average driver that we just don't have in this country.
> Five minutes on the highway should demonstrate that.
>
>> * i myself got caught out at the beginning of the rainy season here.
>> hit some standing water, aquaplaned, SLOWED DOWN, got home, put my deep
>> tread wet weather tires on. that was 100% my own responsibility and my
>> mistake.

> Right, but the guy behind you probably didn't bother to do this when he
> started to skid, he just drove on through hoping it would go away. The
> problem for us is that we're all sharing the road with that guy and he
> is probably going to be passing us the next time he loses control.
> --scott

You're both forgetting that simply driving in the rain in "bald" tires
(Jim's word, not mine) is evidence in itself of incompetence and either
negligence or poor judgement. If the tires are "bald" enough - and I've
seen some in use that certainly would qualify - hydroplaning can occur
at little more than a brisk jog.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 13th 13, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gpsman

On Jan 12, 12:15*pm, Vic Smith >
wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 05:50:31 -0800 (PST), gpsman
> wrote:
>
> >Why don't you delay contesting who is wrong by returning to
> >substantiating your assertion that hydroplaning is more dangerous than
> >a blowout due to probability of occurrence...?

> Haven't been following this, but I'm positive IME hydroplaning is more
> common than blowouts, and more dangerous.
> Though I haven't had a blowout for years, and none were particularly
> dangerous in terms of safely getting to a shoulder, I've slid past a
> stop sign and into the intersection a few times due to hydroplaning,
> even with good rubber. *Mostly due I think to poorly performing rear
> drum brakes that hadn't self-adjusted.

Oil tends to accumulate at intersections, so more likely is that you
slid at stop sign approach speeds.

> Not even sure if that's technically "hydroplaning" as I don't know the
> details about how that works with front versus rear braking.

You're applying your anecdotal experience to conclude hydroplaning is
more dangerous than blowouts... and you're not sure if it includes
hydroplaning...?

While either condition can lead to loss of control, a hydroplaning
condition can be avoided (and corrected) by lessening speed.

> I slow down when the water starts piling up, and brake earlier too.

A better technique is to let off the throttle sooner, before braking
is required... if you're not among the motorists who believe either
throttle or brake must always be depressed.
-----

- gpsman
Old January 13th 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/13/2013 05:43 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 01/13/2013 08:35 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> In article >, jim beam > wrote:
>>>
>>> right. but the fact still remains, that it's the driver's
>>> responsibility if they don't drive according to conditions, especially
>>> if they know they have bald tires*. even though it's practically normal
>>> for them not to. it is /not/ normal to drive under the assumption that
>>> you're just about to get a blowout.

>> Well, yes, but I think you're expecting a degree of competence on the
>> part of the average driver that we just don't have in this country.
>> Five minutes on the highway should demonstrate that.
>>
>>> * i myself got caught out at the beginning of the rainy season here.
>>> hit some standing water, aquaplaned, SLOWED DOWN, got home, put my deep
>>> tread wet weather tires on. that was 100% my own responsibility and my
>>> mistake.

>> Right, but the guy behind you probably didn't bother to do this when he
>> started to skid, he just drove on through hoping it would go away. The
>> problem for us is that we're all sharing the road with that guy and he
>> is probably going to be passing us the next time he loses control.
>> --scott
>>

> You're both forgetting that simply driving in the rain in "bald" tires
> (Jim's word, not mine) is evidence in itself of incompetence and either
> negligence or poor judgement.

and that is precisely why /you/ are such a tool. you keep bleating
about hydroplaning - well, that happens when you have bald tires AND
DON'T PAY ATTENTION.

> If the tires are "bald" enough - and I've
> seen some in use that certainly would qualify

don't use the third person nate - what you meant to say was:

"and I'VE used some that qualified because I'M too stooopid to pay
attention"

> - hydroplaning can occur
> at little more than a brisk jog.

as you would know.

--
fact check required
Old January 13th 13, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/13/2013 05:35 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In >, jim > wrote:
>>
>> right. but the fact still remains, that it's the driver's
>> responsibility if they don't drive according to conditions, especially
>> if they know they have bald tires*. even though it's practically normal
>> for them not to. it is /not/ normal to drive under the assumption that
>> you're just about to get a blowout.

> Well, yes, but I think you're expecting a degree of competence on the
> part of the average driver that we just don't have in this country.
> Five minutes on the highway should demonstrate that.

the only differences between here and the other countries is that we
drive in straight lines. that doesn't "discover" bad driving habits.
but that's where the differentiation ends - other than that, we're just
the same as everybody else.

as to competence, my grandmother, who has thankfully now handed in her
license, and who is the worst driver imaginable by any other measure,
would have her tires replaced every few years even though they weren't
more than about 30% worn, specifically because she didn't want any wet
weather driving problems. to reiterate, that's a spectacularly bad
driver, one who would drive over traffic islands, one who would
sometimes mistake the brake and throttle pedals, and who the highway
patrol would regularly ticket for things like driving too slow and
hogging two lanes, showing "competence".

i'm telling you, if she gets it, anyone can. i myself keep a spare set
of wheels with "new" tires on them specifically for wet weather.
[because when it does get around to raining here, it doesn't mess
about.] if you don't want to slow down and want to keep the rubber side
down, it's the price you pay.

>> * i myself got caught out at the beginning of the rainy season here.
>> hit some standing water, aquaplaned, SLOWED DOWN, got home, put my deep
>> tread wet weather tires on. that was 100% my own responsibility and my
>> mistake.

> Right, but the guy behind you probably didn't bother to do this when he
> started to skid, he just drove on through hoping it would go away. The
> problem for us is that we're all sharing the road with that guy and he
> is probably going to be passing us the next time he loses control.

maybe i'm a freak, but i keep my eyes glued to the mirror and if there's
a likely impactor back there, i'll change lanes or pull over to have
them pass. but i learned that the easy way - when i was a kid, i was
out with my dad and he said, "this guy behind's not paying attention -
he'll hit us in a minute". and he did. but maybe that's selfish and i
should take one for the team and not let the next guy get it, right?

--
fact check required
Old January 13th 13, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/13/2013 12:36 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 01/13/2013 05:43 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
>> On 01/13/2013 08:35 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>> Well, yes, but I think you're expecting a degree of competence on the
>>> part of the average driver that we just don't have in this country.
>>> Five minutes on the highway should demonstrate that.

>>> Right, but the guy behind you probably didn't bother to do this when he
>>> started to skid, he just drove on through hoping it would go away. The
>>> problem for us is that we're all sharing the road with that guy and he
>>> is probably going to be passing us the next time he loses control.
>>> --scott
>>>

>> You're both forgetting that simply driving in the rain in "bald" tires
>> (Jim's word, not mine) is evidence in itself of incompetence and either
>> negligence or poor judgement.

> and that is precisely why /you/ are such a tool. you keep bleating
> about hydroplaning - well, that happens when you have bald tires AND
> DON'T PAY ATTENTION.

You can be paying all the attention in the world and bald tires won't
save you.

>> If the tires are "bald" enough - and I've
>> seen some in use that certainly would qualify

> don't use the third person nate - what you meant to say was:
>
> "and I'VE used some that qualified because I'M too stooopid to pay
> attention"

To steal a phrase from your best and only friend, "unsupported
assertion." And a lie as well - I am not so irresponsible to put myself
and other road users at risk like that.

>> - hydroplaning can occur
>> at little more than a brisk jog.

> as you would know.

As anyone would know who understands the physics involved.

nate

Old January 13th 13, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/13/2013 09:40 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 01/13/2013 12:36 PM, jim beam wrote:

>>> You're both forgetting that simply driving in the rain in "bald" tires
>>> (Jim's word, not mine) is evidence in itself of incompetence and either
>>> negligence or poor judgement.

>> and that is precisely why /you/ are such a tool. you keep bleating
>> about hydroplaning - well, that happens when you have bald tires AND
>> DON'T PAY ATTENTION.

> You can be paying all the attention in the world and bald tires won't
> save you.

as spoken by the world's stoooopidest "engineer" with no connection
between [what he supposes is] brain and foot.

>>> If the tires are "bald" enough - and I've
>>> seen some in use that certainly would qualify

>> don't use the third person nate - what you meant to say was:
>>
>> "and I'VE used some that qualified because I'M too stooopid to pay
>> attention"
>>

> To steal a phrase from your best and only friend, "unsupported
> assertion." And a lie as well - I am not so irresponsible to put myself
> and other road users at risk like that.

and yet you claim that you can be surprised by what happens when driving
bald tires??? nate, you're just too ****ing stoooooooopid to understand
the hypocrisy and irony in what you've just said.

>>> - hydroplaning can occur
>>> at little more than a brisk jog.

>> as you would know.

> As anyone would know who understands the physics involved.

wow, irony/hypocrisy meter pegged!

--
fact check required