Pro-Rating Worn Tires For New Set ?

Old October 10th 10, 12:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Pro-Rating Worn Tires For New Set ?

Hi,

What a really grat Newsgroup, and folks.

As I wrote in a previous Post, I have a 2008 Buick LaCrosse with only
about 14K miles on it.
Tires are Goodyear Integrity, that came with the new car.

They are already worn out.

Two Tire places said that as they are OEM, I have no recourse as to
getting some kind of pro-rated $ for a new set.

Sure won't be Goodyear again !
Thinking of Michelin Harmony-thoughts on ?

Before I go back to Dealership to complain, what is my recourse
re this matter ? Are they right that I have none, or... ?

Would just like to learn a bit before seeing and discussing with them.

Thanks,
Bob
Old October 10th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/10/2010 07:47 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What a really grat Newsgroup, and folks.
>
> As I wrote in a previous Post, I have a 2008 Buick LaCrosse with only
> about 14K miles on it.
> Tires are Goodyear Integrity, that came with the new car.
>
> They are already worn out.
>
> Two Tire places said that as they are OEM, I have no recourse as to
> getting some kind of pro-rated $ for a new set.
>
> Sure won't be Goodyear again !
> Thinking of Michelin Harmony-thoughts on ?
>
> Before I go back to Dealership to complain, what is my recourse
> re this matter ? Are they right that I have none, or... ?
>
> Would just like to learn a bit before seeing and discussing with them.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Check the warranty information that came with your car in with the
owner's manual, service instructions, etc. You may or may not be able
to get any $$ for these tires depending on warranty. You may have to
buy tires at the dealership to get the pro-rating and/or have to buy new
Goodyear tires, which IMHO wouldn't be worth it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 10th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Portnoy

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What a really grat Newsgroup, and folks.
>
> As I wrote in a previous Post, I have a 2008 Buick LaCrosse with only
> about 14K miles on it.
> Tires are Goodyear Integrity, that came with the new car.
>
> They are already worn out.
>
> Two Tire places said that as they are OEM, I have no recourse as to
> getting some kind of pro-rated $ for a new set.
>
> Sure won't be Goodyear again !
> Thinking of Michelin Harmony-thoughts on ?
>
> Before I go back to Dealership to complain, what is my recourse
> re this matter ? Are they right that I have none, or... ?
>
> Would just like to learn a bit before seeing and discussing with them.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Unless you drive like a Sydney cab driver (either full throttle
or full brake at all times) something is desperately wrong
(wheel alignment, tire pressure, suspension, rear brake
issue ...) as 14K miles isn't anything close to acceptable tire
wear. The tread wear pattern can itself speak volumes to a
trained eye (speak to an eye?).

Old October 10th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/10/2010 11:25 AM, Portnoy wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> What a really grat Newsgroup, and folks.
>>
>> As I wrote in a previous Post, I have a 2008 Buick LaCrosse with only
>> about 14K miles on it.
>> Tires are Goodyear Integrity, that came with the new car.
>>
>> They are already worn out.
>>
>> Two Tire places said that as they are OEM, I have no recourse as to
>> getting some kind of pro-rated $ for a new set.
>>
>> Sure won't be Goodyear again !
>> Thinking of Michelin Harmony-thoughts on ?
>>
>> Before I go back to Dealership to complain, what is my recourse
>> re this matter ? Are they right that I have none, or... ?
>>
>> Would just like to learn a bit before seeing and discussing with them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> Unless you drive like a Sydney cab driver (either full throttle
> or full brake at all times) something is desperately wrong
> (wheel alignment, tire pressure, suspension, rear brake
> issue ...) as 14K miles isn't anything close to acceptable tire
> wear. The tread wear pattern can itself speak volumes to a
> trained eye (speak to an eye?).

The whole combination is garbage. Garbage tires, garbage suspension
(it's a FWD GM) and it's probably out of alignment too (it's a FWD GM.)
Have seen similar issues on several Chevy Impalas (company vehicles)

I've found that the vehicle rides better when the tires are run a little
over the recommended pressure (I use 34-35 PSI rather than the
recommended 30 PSI) at factory settings it'll eat the outside edges of
the front tires and rides like a marshmallow.

nate

Old October 10th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:38:14 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>The whole combination is garbage. Garbage tires, garbage suspension
>(it's a FWD GM) and it's probably out of alignment too (it's a FWD GM.)
> Have seen similar issues on several Chevy Impalas (company vehicles)

Some Impalas wear rear tires badly, some don't.
If they do, there's a fix they used on the police cars but GM won't
commonly pay for civilians.
That's why people turn against GM. They stonewall paying for blatant
defects that are easily fixed.
You could do the fix yourself for maybe $300 in parts or have it done
for $4-500.
That's TSB CSP-08032
(http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/r...100757492&zip=)
The OP's Lacrosse might be subject to that (W-platform I think), but
he didn't mention back tires, so maybe he's "lucky.".
Fronts going that fast, even crap tires, might be bad front alignment.
The Impala front suspension should be solid if alignment is correctly
done. Haven't seen any issues with the design.
My guess is at least half of alignments aren't done by good alignment
guys.
I've never had alignment issues with my Luminas, Celebritys or
Cosicas. None.

>I've found that the vehicle rides better when the tires are run a little
>over the recommended pressure (I use 34-35 PSI rather than the
>recommended 30 PSI) at factory settings it'll eat the outside edges of
>the front tires and rides like a marshmallow.

Always good to check pressure against tire wear.
My Lumina rides the same and wears tires the same at 30 or 35 psi but
transmits much more highway crack noise more at 35 psi, where I
usually keep it.
I rented a Malibu once that had low profile tires.
It danced all over the highway at the beginning of a long trip and I
thought I'd have to take it back and lose a lot of vacation hours.
Tires all looked the same to me.
Pulled over and bought a tire gage and found the left front had 15
psi. Tracked perfectly after I put 30 in it like the other 3 had.
Sensitive. All other cars I've driven will just pull with a low tire.

I second whoever said look at Tirerack.com to select tires for your
car. Had good luck doing that.

--Vic

Old October 10th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/10/2010 01:56 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:38:14 -0400, Nate >
> wrote:
>

>> The whole combination is garbage. Garbage tires, garbage suspension
>> (it's a FWD GM) and it's probably out of alignment too (it's a FWD GM.)
>> Have seen similar issues on several Chevy Impalas (company vehicles)
>>

> Some Impalas wear rear tires badly, some don't.
> If they do, there's a fix they used on the police cars but GM won't
> commonly pay for civilians.
> That's why people turn against GM. They stonewall paying for blatant
> defects that are easily fixed.
> You could do the fix yourself for maybe $300 in parts or have it done
> for $4-500.
> That's TSB CSP-08032
> (http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/r...100757492&zip=)
> The OP's Lacrosse might be subject to that (W-platform I think), but
> he didn't mention back tires, so maybe he's "lucky.".
> Fronts going that fast, even crap tires, might be bad front alignment.
> The Impala front suspension should be solid if alignment is correctly
> done. Haven't seen any issues with the design.
> My guess is at least half of alignments aren't done by good alignment
> guys.
> I've never had alignment issues with my Luminas, Celebritys or
> Cosicas. None.
>
>> I've found that the vehicle rides better when the tires are run a little
>> over the recommended pressure (I use 34-35 PSI rather than the
>> recommended 30 PSI) at factory settings it'll eat the outside edges of
>> the front tires and rides like a marshmallow.
>>

> Always good to check pressure against tire wear.
> My Lumina rides the same and wears tires the same at 30 or 35 psi but
> transmits much more highway crack noise more at 35 psi, where I
> usually keep it.
> I rented a Malibu once that had low profile tires.
> It danced all over the highway at the beginning of a long trip and I
> thought I'd have to take it back and lose a lot of vacation hours.
> Tires all looked the same to me.
> Pulled over and bought a tire gage and found the left front had 15
> psi. Tracked perfectly after I put 30 in it like the other 3 had.
> Sensitive. All other cars I've driven will just pull with a low tire.
>
> I second whoever said look at Tirerack.com to select tires for your
> car. Had good luck doing that.
>
> --Vic

The problem that I have seen on two of my own company cars (also W-body
Impalas) as well as several of others (there's 5-6 people in my office
that have or had the same car) is not the premature wear of the *rear*
tires but the *front.* And my own car has <50K miles on it and has been
aligned twice. Coworker had to drive it last weekend for various
reasons, and when he returned it he said "I like your car, it's pretty
decent. Needs an alignment though."

yeah, I know. It *always* needs an alignment.

nate

Old October 11th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 10/10/2010 01:56 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>

> The problem that I have seen on two of my own company cars (also W-body
> Impalas) as well as several of others (there's 5-6 people in my office
> that have or had the same car) is not the premature wear of the *rear*
> tires but the *front.* And my own car has <50K miles on it and has been
> aligned twice. Coworker had to drive it last weekend for various
> reasons, and when he returned it he said "I like your car, it's pretty
> decent. Needs an alignment though."
>
> yeah, I know. It *always* needs an alignment.
>
> nate

Who is doing the current alignments? I know the company vehicles I drove
had restriction on where we could take them for work. They wanted CHEAP,
EASY, Reliable and good work were WAY down on the list.

The Caravans we had were good vehicles as long as these places didn't
touch them. I finally got PO'd and pulled the one I had into my shop and
went through the front end. Did a real alignment with it on my frame
table. Used corrected ride heights and the difference was dramatic. The
key to a good alignment is the person doing the job. Most of the
machines work OK but they cannot tell if there is a damaged part or
other problem.

--
Steve W.
Old October 11th 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What a really grat Newsgroup, and folks.
>
> As I wrote in a previous Post, I have a 2008 Buick LaCrosse with only
> about 14K miles on it.
> Tires are Goodyear Integrity, that came with the new car.
>
> They are already worn out.
>
> Two Tire places said that as they are OEM, I have no recourse as to
> getting some kind of pro-rated $ for a new set.
>
> Sure won't be Goodyear again !
> Thinking of Michelin Harmony-thoughts on ?

I dont think you will get much of a deal from the dealership.
I was told once that if I had some money in the bank and some ****to tires
on my car, I was a fool.

I dont buy anything but high quality rated tires. You are risking you life
on them.

Talk to the dealership, and see what they will do, but dont take worthless
****to tires just because you get a couple of dollars off the price.

Research them, as I posted previously.

Old October 11th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Airport Shuttle[_32_]

What do you mean by worn out? on the edge, high and low spots, low
tread, bald tread.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old October 11th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Oct 10, 7:15*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
> > On 10/10/2010 01:56 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

> > The problem that I have seen on two of my own company cars (also W-body
> > Impalas) as well as several of others (there's 5-6 people in my office
> > that have or had the same car) is not the premature wear of the *rear*
> > tires but the *front.* *And my own car has <50K miles on it and has been
> > aligned twice. *Coworker had to drive it last weekend for various
> > reasons, and when he returned it he said "I like your car, it's pretty
> > decent. *Needs an alignment though."

> > yeah, I know. *It *always* needs an alignment.

> > nate

> Who is doing the current alignments? I know the company vehicles I drove
> had restriction on where we could take them for work. They wanted CHEAP,
> EASY, Reliable and good work were WAY down on the list.

Unfortunately I have the same situation and share your opinion of the
shop that I'm told I should use. I *would* consider paying for an
alignment myself, but it is difficult to arrange when I need to drive
the car every day.

Nevertheless, I don't believe that in absence of curb-surfing etc. any
factory-produced vehicle that was theoretically correctly aligned at
the factory should need alignment prior to 50K miles, but that is
demonstrably not the case with these cars. I can't remember ever
having another vehicle where I ever did an alignment more than once
after purchase, save for after strut replacements or other suspension
work. I would specifically request that the alignment be checked
whenever I had tires replaced, and all my worn tires looked fairly
flat and even, save for once when I drove too long between replacing
the struts on the front of an old Scirocco and getting it aligned, and
the inside edges of the front tires got chewed amazingly quickly.

nate