G25. Opportunity? or just another headache?

Old June 23rd 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike Young

Default G25. Opportunity? or just another headache?

So the shifter paddle on my Momo wheel stopped working today. I think I can
fix it for a few dollars, but it's also a once in a decade chance (it's been
that long, I think, or at least darned close) to think about a G25. Any
strong opinions here?

Well, it's moot at this point. The decision was simple with that Amazon
"Two-Day 1 Click" Prime button in front of me. It'll be here Tuesday.

Just the same, is it worth it? Domestic relationships and all, in addition
to $170 more than the "plain" Momo? I dabble in rFactor and GTR2, always
wondering why I can't ever get the car to front rows in qualifying.

Old June 23rd 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

It's worth it - you won't be disappointed.
(shifter is a bit "weak" - but the wheel and pedals are great!)

Cheers

'
t...

Old June 23rd 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Mike Young" > wrote in message
t...
> So the shifter paddle on my Momo wheel stopped working today. I think I
> can fix it for a few dollars, but it's also a once in a decade chance
> (it's been that long, I think, or at least darned close) to think about a
> G25. Any strong opinions here?
>
> Well, it's moot at this point. The decision was simple with that Amazon
> "Two-Day 1 Click" Prime button in front of me. It'll be here Tuesday.
>
> Just the same, is it worth it? Domestic relationships and all, in addition
> to $170 more than the "plain" Momo? I dabble in rFactor and GTR2, always
> wondering why I can't ever get the car to front rows in qualifying.

Just my opinion but yes. It is well built and does not have the problems
that the Momo had. I had returned 5-6 Momos with the accelerator calibration
problem (never had one last long enough to get any other problems) before I
finally just broke down and got the G25. The shifter is ok for Nascar but
tough to use on road courses because the gate detenting is not what it could
be and is easy to miss gears. I use the paddle shifters for road courses
(GTR, GTL, Rfactor etc) and the shifter for the Nascar oval stuff. FFB can
be a little overwhealming and you will probably need to fine tune that to
the strength you want to have. The precision of the unit may help you a bit,
but in order to qualify better you still need to
practice-practice-practice...........:-)

Ed

Old June 23rd 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Michael Sisson

In article > , boat042-
says...
> So the shifter paddle on my Momo wheel stopped working today. I think I can
> fix it for a few dollars, but it's also a once in a decade chance (it's been
> that long, I think, or at least darned close) to think about a G25. Any
> strong opinions here?
>
> Well, it's moot at this point. The decision was simple with that Amazon
> "Two-Day 1 Click" Prime button in front of me. It'll be here Tuesday.
>
> Just the same, is it worth it? Domestic relationships and all, in addition
> to $170 more than the "plain" Momo? I dabble in rFactor and GTR2, always
> wondering why I can't ever get the car to front rows in qualifying.

I just got mine yesterday. I have had, for reference, an Original Red
Logi (cable driven), an Act Labs monstrosity (and later the Shifter),
and a black Logi MOMO.

Red Logi was my favorite (of those three), due to the sublime force
feedback.

I am *really* liking the dual motor FF in the G25. It is quieter and
smoother than either the A-L or the MOMO. There is some very subdued
'notchiness', but nothing like in the A-L. I guess after the cable drive
of the Red, anything now is going to feel notchy to some degree.

So far the small number (2) of buttons on the face of the wheel has not
been a problem for me.

I was worried about the shifter being too loose, but I personally like
the way it shifts. It is magnitudes quieter than the A-L shifter. The
clamping system makes it solid on my desk, whereas the A-L shifter
flexed all the time.

This is going to be the first Logi wheel that I haven't had the desire
to immediately throw out the ****ty pedals and wire my CH Pedals to.

The 'real leather' must have come off alien plastic cows. Or maybe it is
made from the hides of back alley rats.

Now, back to training my left foot that the clutch is not the brake.
Doh.

MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
READY.
RUN
Old June 24th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ricky

On Jun 23, 2:43 pm, "Mike Young" > wrote:
> So the shifter paddle on my Momo wheel stopped working today. I think I can
> fix it for a few dollars, but it's also a once in a decade chance (it's been
> that long, I think, or at least darned close) to think about a G25. Any
> strong opinions here?
>
> Well, it's moot at this point. The decision was simple with that Amazon
> "Two-Day 1 Click" Prime button in front of me. It'll be here Tuesday.
>
> Just the same, is it worth it? Domestic relationships and all, in addition
> to $170 more than the "plain" Momo? I dabble in rFactor and GTR2, always
> wondering why I can't ever get the car to front rows in qualifying.

I have had a few goes on a g25. They are good wheels. The accelerator
calibration went on my momo this week. I will be getting a Xbox 360
Wireless PC Adaptor so I can use my xbox 360 wheel in till i save for
a g25 wheel. Go for it get 1.

Old June 24th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Simpson

Similar to me. I started out with the cheap Logi Force GP, then the
Act-Labs wheel, H-shifter and BRD pedals.

I just got the G25 a month ago and it's great. The light tough of the
shifter takes a little getting used to after the A-L shifter, but I
miss fewer shifts now.

Old June 24th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steve Blankenship

"Mike Young" > wrote in message
t...
> So the shifter paddle on my Momo wheel stopped working today. I think I
> can fix it for a few dollars, but it's also a once in a decade chance
> (it's been that long, I think, or at least darned close) to think about a
> G25. Any strong opinions here?
>
> Well, it's moot at this point. The decision was simple with that Amazon
> "Two-Day 1 Click" Prime button in front of me. It'll be here Tuesday.
>
> Just the same, is it worth it? Domestic relationships and all, in addition
> to $170 more than the "plain" Momo? I dabble in rFactor and GTR2, always
> wondering why I can't ever get the car to front rows in qualifying.

Probably won't make you any faster (practice!), but it will likely make you
more consistent, as well as give you more enjoyment from your racing sims.
I've never been as quick on a hotlap with any FF wheel as I was with my old
non-FF Wingman/CH pedal setup, but I drive with a much more realistic style
now and finally appreciate FF. I only converted to FF as of the DFP as I'd
never liked FF before, and the main thing about the DFP that did it for me
was the multi-turn aspect. I run my wheel at 540 degrees of rotation in
just about everything now, and apreciate being able to disable the low speed
lock override in all sims and run fully linear steering all the time. I
could never go back to a 240 +/- degree wheel!

But the biggest difference in driving between the G25 and the DFP is the
speed of response; it easily reacts twice as fast, allowing you to feel the
car's behavior much sooner and thus comfortably run looser (perhaps faster?)
setups. The clutch is nice to have for starts (it really works), and as for
the shifter, it's OK if you want to go retro but I honestly leave the
shifter pod on the floor all the time now and use the paddles only. More
buttons would be welcome, but it's manageable as is with a keyboard close at
hand and I haven't been tempted to pull the DFP out of the closet once since
I plugged this thing in. Well worth it!

SB

Old June 24th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike Young

Thanks, all, for the help and responses.

"Steve Blankenship" <steveNOSPAMblankenshipATcomcast.net> wrote in message
. ..
> never liked FF before, and the main thing about the DFP that did it for me
> was the multi-turn aspect. I run my wheel at 540 degrees of rotation in
> just about everything now, and apreciate being able to disable the low
> speed lock override in all sims and run fully linear steering all the
> time. I could never go back to a 240 +/- degree wheel!

That's surprising. I didn't consider that I might even try multi-turn.

> But the biggest difference in driving between the G25 and the DFP is the
> speed of response; it easily reacts twice as fast, allowing you to feel
> the car's behavior much sooner

On the PS2 or PC? Both? I'm strictly PC here.

> and thus comfortably run looser (perhaps faster?) setups.

Looser might be what I need to "fix" some trouble spots. My line, not the
car. I have to be way more conservative right now than I know I need to be.
That's compared to the AI lines. Hotlappers have nothing to fear from me.

> The clutch is nice to have for starts (it really works), and as for the
> shifter, it's OK if you want to go retro but I honestly leave the shifter
> pod on the floor all the time now and use the paddles only. More buttons
> would be welcome, but it's manageable as is with a keyboard close at hand
> and I haven't been tempted to pull the DFP out of the closet once since I
> plugged this thing in. Well worth it!

Great discussion. Thanks.

BTW. I noticed just now that Forza2 is out. When did that happen?

Old June 25th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mcewena

On Jun 22, 10:43 pm, "Mike Young" > wrote:

> Just the same, is it worth it? Domestic relationships and all, in addition
> to $170 more than the "plain" Momo? I dabble in rFactor and GTR2, always
> wondering why I can't ever get the car to front rows in qualifying.

Hang on to your shipping box and paperwork.

I love the feel of mine (once I get used to the buttons being off to
the right on the shifter), but from new the H pattern shifter can't
tell the difference between 6th and reverse (apparently it's a "known
problem") and now after less then 6 months of gentle use the upshift
paddle is starting to miss shifts.