Audi A6 (V6 2.6) 1995 - strange swishing sound after timing belt change

Old May 18th 07, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.audi
Hooch

Default Audi A6 (V6 2.6) 1995 - strange swishing sound after timing belt change

After a recent timing belt change, I'm getting a strange swishing
sound from the engine when the engine is cold - about once a second at
idle, increasing with engine speed. It disappears when the engine
warms up a bit. It's not the serpentine belt, as the noise is still
there when the belt's off. Nor is it the belt rubbing against the
timing belt covers, as I've tried taking those off too. Any
suggestions?

Old May 18th 07, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.audi
MrCheerful

"Hooch" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After a recent timing belt change, I'm getting a strange swishing
> sound from the engine when the engine is cold - about once a second at
> idle, increasing with engine speed. It disappears when the engine
> warms up a bit. It's not the serpentine belt, as the noise is still
> there when the belt's off. Nor is it the belt rubbing against the
> timing belt covers, as I've tried taking those off too. Any
> suggestions?

over tight in general? then any extra tight bits will make a noise

Old May 18th 07, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.audi
Guy King

The message >
from "MrCheerful" > contains these words:

> over tight in general?

Sounds like it - though some makes of belts are just noisy anyway. Try
dribbling a little water onto the back of the cambelt as it goes round
and see if it shuts up. In the past I've found a tiny squirt of WD40 or
silicone spray will shut up a belt with no adverse effects.

--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]
Old May 18th 07, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.audi
Pop Larkin

"Hooch" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After a recent timing belt change, I'm getting a strange swishing
> sound from the engine when the engine is cold - about once a second at
> idle, increasing with engine speed. It disappears when the engine
> warms up a bit. It's not the serpentine belt, as the noise is still
> there when the belt's off. Nor is it the belt rubbing against the
> timing belt covers, as I've tried taking those off too. Any
> suggestions?

does the new belt have a sticky patch on the back, where a manufacturers
sticker had been. could be when its warm the sticky reduces.

Old May 18th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.audi
Hooch

On May 18, 10:51 am, "MrCheerful" > wrote:
> "Hooch" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > After a recent timing belt change, I'm getting a strange swishing
> > sound from the engine when the engine is cold - about once a second at
> > idle, increasing with engine speed. It disappears when the engine
> > warms up a bit. It's not the serpentine belt, as the noise is still
> > there when the belt's off. Nor is it the belt rubbing against the
> > timing belt covers, as I've tried taking those off too. Any
> > suggestions?

> over tight in general? then any extra tight bits will make a noise

Don't think so. When installed it could be turned through 90 degrees
with two fingers, but I'll take the covers off and check again.

Old May 18th 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.audi
Hooch

On May 18, 12:19 pm, Guy King > wrote:
> The message >
> from "MrCheerful" > contains these words:
>
> > over tight in general?

> Sounds like it - though some makes of belts are just noisy anyway. Try
> dribbling a little water onto the back of the cambelt as it goes round
> and see if it shuts up. In the past I've found a tiny squirt of WD40 or
> silicone spray will shut up a belt with no adverse effects.

I'll certainly try that and report back with results!

Old May 18th 07, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.audi
Guy King

The message . com>
from Hooch > contains these words:

> Don't think so. When installed it could be turned through 90 degrees
> with two fingers, but I'll take the covers off and check again.

Ah - I've done that and had belts that turned out to be very much too
tight. Perhaps I just have very strong fingers.

Old June 14th 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.audi
Hooch

On May 18, 7:02 pm, Guy King > wrote:
> The message . com>
> from Hooch > contains these words:
>
> > Don't think so. When installed it could be turned through 90 degrees
> > with two fingers, but I'll take the covers off and check again.

> Ah - I've done that and had belts that turned out to be very much too
> tight. Perhaps I just have very strong fingers.

As it turned out, adjusting the tension on the belt just made things
worse - a whining noise from the (new) roller bearing. On
examination, both the (new) roller bearing and (new) tensioner
supplied by Euro C*r P*rts were leaking grease.
A whole new timing belt kit was fitted and the problem(s) vanished!

timing belt change newman Honda 11 June 2nd 07 07:40 AM
always change your timing belt before this happens rob Auto Photos 264 April 18th 07 02:25 PM
Timing belt - change or not Martik Technology 11 August 31st 05 12:28 AM
1995 Passport - Overheating after Timing belt tensioner change -- belts removal/installation ajpdla Honda 6 December 8th 04 07:26 AM
Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved? John Prendergast Audi 4 September 9th 04 04:23 PM