$650 for a set of new tires

Old May 11th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Default $650 for a set of new tires

I work with a guy who has been in this country for about a year and a
half. He drives a '98 Sebring and thinks he has to go to the dealer for
everything.

Today he told me they quoted him $650 to get new tires.

Holy **** - $650 for 4 tires?

Amazing, isn't it? I told him to find a Discount Tires or a Big O or
something like that. How the **** do dealerships sell any tires at that
price?
Old May 11th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Fred G. Mackey wrote:
> I work with a guy who has been in this country for about a year and a
> half. He drives a '98 Sebring and thinks he has to go to the dealer for
> everything.
>
> Today he told me they quoted him $650 to get new tires.
>
> Holy **** - $650 for 4 tires?
>
> Amazing, isn't it? I told him to find a Discount Tires or a Big O or
> something like that. How the **** do dealerships sell any tires at that
> price?

Some tire shops aren't much better... tirerack.com I won't do it any
other way now. Sure I pay more for mounting and balancing, but that might
eat up the savings of 1 of the 4 tires. The shipping has gotten so good
over the years I get them in less than 24 hours now.

Old May 11th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Fred G. Mackey wrote:
> I work with a guy who has been in this country for about a year and a
> half. He drives a '98 Sebring and thinks he has to go to the dealer for
> everything.
>
> Today he told me they quoted him $650 to get new tires.
>
> Holy **** - $650 for 4 tires?
>
> Amazing, isn't it? I told him to find a Discount Tires or a Big O or
> something like that. How the **** do dealerships sell any tires at that
> price?

Lots of people are idiots who think price = quality. Me - i buy the
cheapest of everything cause i know price means nothing.
Old May 11th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On May 11, 1:58 am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article >, Fred G. Mackey wrote:
> > I work with a guy who has been in this country for about a year and a
> > half. He drives a '98 Sebring and thinks he has to go to the dealer for
> > everything.

> > Today he told me they quoted him $650 to get new tires.

> > Holy **** - $650 for 4 tires?

> > Amazing, isn't it? I told him to find a Discount Tires or a Big O or
> > something like that. How the **** do dealerships sell any tires at that
> > price?

> Some tire shops aren't much better... tirerack.com I won't do it any
> other way now. Sure I pay more for mounting and balancing, but that might
> eat up the savings of 1 of the 4 tires. The shipping has gotten so good
> over the years I get them in less than 24 hours now.

Eh, it's a wash for me - going rate for a mount and balance around
here is about $25 a wheel, although I do prefer to order from the Tire
Rack just for the selection.

I think the total bill was about $400 including mount/balance to get
snow tires for the Porsche, and that was a closeout from the Tire Rack
and not a particularly "high performance" size (195/65R15) - tires are
'spensive these days.

nate

Old May 11th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

On May 11, 10:29 am, N8N > wrote:
> On May 11, 1:58 am, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>

> > In article >, Fred G. Mackey wrote:
> > > I work with a guy who has been in this country for about a year and a
> > > half. He drives a '98 Sebring and thinks he has to go to the dealer for
> > > everything.

> > > Today he told me they quoted him $650 to get new tires.

> > > Holy **** - $650 for 4 tires?

> > > Amazing, isn't it? I told him to find a Discount Tires or a Big O or
> > > something like that. How the **** do dealerships sell any tires at that
> > > price?

> > Some tire shops aren't much better... tirerack.com I won't do it any
> > other way now. Sure I pay more for mounting and balancing, but that might
> > eat up the savings of 1 of the 4 tires. The shipping has gotten so good
> > over the years I get them in less than 24 hours now.

> Eh, it's a wash for me - going rate for a mount and balance around
> here is about $25 a wheel, although I do prefer to order from the Tire
> Rack just for the selection.

I've got a wheel alignment guy near me that is one of the few
mechanics that I trust... everything else I do myself. IME, most of
the big tire places do a really crappy job on balancing, and it's VERY
noticable in my Vette. So I buy the tires, and have them mounted
and balanced at the other shop. The last time, the guy had a hell of
a time balancing one tire. He worked on it for a HALF HOUR, (this is
with state of the art balancing equipment) until he got it withing 1/4
ounce. Was the smoothest ride I'd ever had.

Old May 11th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), in a sure sign
that the Apocalypse is upon us, someone calling themself Speeders &
Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS - the lover of all GAY KID PORN, spewed
forth this crapola all over the landscape in rec.autos.driving:

> Lots of people are idiots who think price = quality. Me - i buy the
> cheapest of everything cause i know price means nothing.

Liar. You buy cheap because that's all you can afford on your welfare
check.

--

"My dash lights burned out years ago. Just
keep a cheapie flashlight on the seat."
Old May 12th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> "Fred G. Mackey" > said in rec.autos.driving:
>

>>I work with a guy who has been in this country for about a year and a
>>half. He drives a '98 Sebring and thinks he has to go to the dealer for
>>everything.
>>
>>Today he told me they quoted him $650 to get new tires.
>>
>>Holy **** - $650 for 4 tires?
>>
>>Amazing, isn't it? I told him to find a Discount Tires or a Big O or
>>something like that.

> That's nothing.
>
> Corvette tires cost around $500 *each* - and that's mail-order from
> The Tire Rack!

But a Sebring is not a Corvette - $500 per a tire for a 'vette may be
reasonable - I don't know, but $650 for 4 tires on a Sebring is way too
****ing much.
Old May 12th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Old May 12th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Old May 12th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Tires tires tyres Theoldman Corvette 0 April 30th 06 03:35 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 06:27 PM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 12:36 AM
Quiet tires=soft tires? Frank Honda 8 March 16th 05 07:40 PM
Winter tires vs offroad tires. Goldhawk 4x4 5 January 5th 05 09:34 PM