How to drive a race car without spinning out?

Old November 15th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
MikeWhy

Default How to drive a race car without spinning out?

"mcewena" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Oh yeah and 6) concentrate on one circuit at a time, no matter how
> tempting the next new track is, pick one track master it and the car
> then it will make the next track much easier to learn. I found
> joining a league with a fixed schedule really helped focus my practice
> efforts on the upcoming track in exclusion to all others.

But, don't get discouraged and stuck in a rut. Definitely give yourself a
break and head off to another track when your times get "stuck" at a
plateau.

Old November 15th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Troglodyte

mcewena wrote:

> Oh yeah and 6) concentrate on one circuit at a time, no matter how
> tempting the next new track is, pick one track master it and the car
> then it will make the next track much easier to learn. I found
> joining a league with a fixed schedule really helped focus my practice
> efforts on the upcoming track in exclusion to all others.

Yea, doing this helps a lot. In fact, the only track I ever mastered in
GPL was Monza.
Old November 15th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Remco Moedt

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:37:19 GMT, Troglodyte >
wrote:

>mcewena wrote:
>
>> Oh yeah and 6) concentrate on one circuit at a time, no matter how
>> tempting the next new track is, pick one track master it and the car
>> then it will make the next track much easier to learn. I found
>> joining a league with a fixed schedule really helped focus my practice
>> efforts on the upcoming track in exclusion to all others.
>>

>Yea, doing this helps a lot. In fact, the only track I ever mastered in
>GPL was Monza.

There were more tracks in GPL? <g>

Cheers!

Remco

Old November 15th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jan Verschueren

"mcewena" wrote...
>> <snip>

> I don't think you need to buy a book to drive these cars.
>
> 1) Start slow, don't jump in the GP cars right away,
> Trainers or advanced trainers are there for a reason.

True that... another possibility is to try the '65 mod. Those cars will
really teach you how to carry speed.

I don't think books really accellerated my learning curve (racing and
talking to better drivers did), but a lot of them are great reads anyway and
it does help to know what one should be doing. Don't get the Senna one,
though, as it's just a testament to the man's inability to explain how he
did what he did.

> 2) Pick a short relatively simple track (Monza or Lime
> Rock Park for GPL) where you can remember what
> you did wrong at an individual corner from one lap to
> another.

Indeed, pick somewhere where blowing a lap is no big deal. Brand Hatch Indy,
e.g.

Among the original tracks, I think Kyalami is a great learning tool.

> 3) Concentrate on your braking points and brake pedal
> forces, try to brake as hard as possible as straight as
> possible WITHOUT locking up the wheels. Learn to
> recognize what that sounds/feels like.
>
> 4) Concentrate on turn in and apexes. When you're
> satisfied you got a particular corner right try to repeat it
> exactly next time.
>
> 5) Ignore your lap times! Master the above and your
> lap times will drop away magicly.

This is the key... concentrate on technique and speed will come
automatically. Really, it will.

> Try to minimize your lap times without the above
> and you're doomed.

Very true, I see drivers who've been "trying to go quickly" for years still
fail every week. People have pointed out their errors a thousand times, but
they're simply not willing to accept one has to drive within one's means to
get better

Jan.
=---

Old November 16th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mcewena

> Very true, I see drivers who've been "trying to go quickly" for years still
> fail every week. People have pointed out their errors a thousand times, but
> they're simply not willing to accept one has to drive within one's means to
> get better

Of course there's another school of thought among some frequent ras
posters that if you're slow it's all Hillary Clinton's fault
Old November 16th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

Me thinks you all jumped to 2 conclusions, more than I am.

1st, does this guy have a wheel or driving by keyboard? that is the 1st
question, because if he's simming with keyboard or those silly controllers
like playstation/Xbox's have he's F'n crazy, and a lost cause on a SIM... &
I dont care what f'n book he reads, he's gonna be lucky to make a lap around
the car carriers that the Westbrother's drew..

2nd, what KIND of wheel, can we help him get it setup correctly? How many
simmers have we heard from {in the last 10 years (including me)} that
couldn't drive for "sheit" until finally someone shared the settings they
used for the wheels, be the wheel Thrust crappers, MicroSucks or LogiSacs,
Thomas or even Ecci's, if you don't set them up right in windows as well as
in games, you get screwed by how it relates input into the games.

3rd, this is all assuming he wasn't a troller..

So will the real Mr.T please answer up?

Old November 19th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr T

On Nov 17, 5:50 am, "PlowBoy," > wrote:
> Me thinks you all jumped to 2 conclusions, more than I am.
>
> 1st, does this guy have a wheel or driving by keyboard? that is the 1st
> question, because if he's simming with keyboard or those silly controllers
> like playstation/Xbox's have he's F'n crazy, and a lost cause on a SIM... &
> I dont care what f'n book he reads, he's gonna be lucky to make a lap around
> the car carriers that the Westbrother's drew..
>
> 2nd, what KIND of wheel, can we help him get it setup correctly? How many
> simmers have we heard from {in the last 10 years (including me)} that
> couldn't drive for "sheit" until finally someone shared the settings they
> used for the wheels, be the wheel Thrust crappers, MicroSucks or LogiSacs,
> Thomas or even Ecci's, if you don't set them up right in windows as well as
> in games, you get screwed by how it relates input into the games.
>
> 3rd, this is all assuming he wasn't a troller..
>
> So will the real Mr.T please answer up?"mcewena" > wrote in message

Before you throw stones at me I just have to make the point that I
don't have a lot of money to spend on expensive controls (like a G25).
Instead, I purchased a $30 usb connected analogue pad that seems to do
the trick. Of course, it's not as good as the expensive option but at
least it's direct and in my opinion better than a cheap unmanageable
wheel. I'm able to use analogue controls for steering and speed which
helps.

I've always liked GPL but haven't been good enough to get around the
track. I'd like to thank Peter for his article:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/21gpltip.htm
which has helped me drive without spinning or crashing (not the
quickest in the world, but it's a start). Kyalami and Monza are my
favourite tracks at the moment. A lot of the stuff in there is common
sense, but it helps to be reminded which things you should concentrate
on first.

Thankyou everyone for your helpful responses - I really do appreciate
it.

Mr T.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/21gpltip.htm

Old November 20th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rob Pollard

"Mr T" > wrote in message
> On Nov 17, 5:50 am, "PlowBoy," > wrote:

> Before you throw stones at me I just have to make the point that I
> don't have a lot of money to spend on expensive controls (like a G25).
> Instead, I purchased a $30 usb connected analogue pad that seems to do
> the trick. Of course, it's not as good as the expensive option but at
> least it's direct and in my opinion better than a cheap unmanageable
> wheel. I'm able to use analogue controls for steering and speed which
> helps.
>
> I've always liked GPL but haven't been good enough to get around the
> track. I'd like to thank Peter for his article:
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/21gpltip.htm
> which has helped me drive without spinning or crashing (not the
> quickest in the world, but it's a start). Kyalami and Monza are my
> favourite tracks at the moment. A lot of the stuff in there is common
> sense, but it helps to be reminded which things you should concentrate
> on first.
>
> Thankyou everyone for your helpful responses - I really do appreciate
> it.
>
> Mr T.

It's bizzarre, but I have a wheel and pedals but seem to consistently post
faster laptimes using my microsoft force feedback joystick! Very wierd. I
guess I feel like I have more direct control of the car with the joystick
and it seems to work well for me with GPL and GTR2.

RobP

Old November 20th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_2_]

(Plowboy from home)

least you weren't 2 of 3 guesses (trolling or keyboard racer) like I was
betting on, and yeah I wholly understand the money thing VS wheels. But the
pad, will be very hard to overcome, because I believe you don't actually
give gas or brake inputs in a "positional" relativity for the game, let
alone the improbability to being precise with a throttle button. IE in
real life how far the the brake/gas pedal moves, lest say "X" amount of
travel (albeit over simplified) means X amount of braking force was applied
to the car, The sim is written to try and be somewhat parallel to that
principle. But you have a button that is either fully depressed or not
pressed, where as the rest of us have somewhere between 0-255 or more
different places along an axis of travel to relate how much brake I wish to
have applied to the "sim" car.

As far I I have experimented, the same is not true with most of those gaming
pads, where if you don't have some precision in braking/throttle/steering,
then your movements of such a device is simply a crapshoot of whether it
works out in the sim or not..! where as a plain old game, like Need for
speeds, MX madness and the like, and the like, they code the game knowing
dang well that with the gamepad, you are instead of giving precise inputs,
you are essentially rolling the dice as you would in a turn based game like
D&D or some ****.

So it goes something like this... "Lets see here I'm headed for the
chicane, at 99.478 miles per hour, fifth gear nearly touching the left wall,
the run is uphill and sweeps out to a nice hairpin 100 yards down the track.
So I pick up my 2 eight sided, and with my experience points, and elf/magic
level (assuming I don't cast a spell for luck), I have to roll only a total
of 10 or better to make this corner..." Well, essentially, that is what
you're doing, and it just doesn't cut it in the sim world, really. But one
thing is sure, you will get to know the tracks pretty well at least, and
when you stumble across a deal on a wheel, if you aren't burnt out, you will
really appreciate it.

Good luck Mr. T.