Engine light on 1999 1.8 T

Old June 24th 07, 07:46 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
amado

Default Engine light on 1999 1.8 T

I have 1999 1.8 T and the engine light keeps coming on. I check it with my
own VAG and it came up with 17455. but i dont have it on my list. does any
know what it is?

Old June 24th 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:46:31 GMT, "amado" > wrote:

>I have 1999 1.8 T and the engine light keeps coming on. I check it with my
>own VAG and it came up with 17455. but i dont have it on my list. does any
>know what it is?

Interesting. That code doesn't exist in the ECU error code tables for that
engine/model year, at least according to the Audi repair manual. In fact there
are no codes listed that start with "174.."

Any chance you or your VAG are dyslexic and the code is really 17544
"Long Term Fuel Trim Add, Fuel, Bank 1 System too Lean"?

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old June 24th 07, 10:12 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
amado

sorry my dyslexic...you're right again as usual....17544

does this mean i need a tune up?

Old June 24th 07, 11:01 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:12:52 GMT, "amado" > wrote:
>"daytripper" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:46:31 GMT, "amado" > wrote:
>>
>>>I have 1999 1.8 T and the engine light keeps coming on. I check it with my
>>>own VAG and it came up with 17455. but i dont have it on my list. does any
>>>know what it is?

>> Interesting. That code doesn't exist in the ECU error code tables for that
>> engine/model year, at least according to the Audi repair manual. In fact
>> there are no codes listed that start with "174.."
>>
>> Any chance you or your VAG are dyslexic and the code is really 17544
>> "Long Term Fuel Trim Add, Fuel, Bank 1 System too Lean"?
>>
>> /daytripper
>> '00 s4 6spd

>sorry my dyslexic...you're right again as usual....17544
>does this mean i need a tune up?

I think this is asking for more than a "tune up". It looks like something's
either aged out of range or you have a leaky hose.

Here's what's listed in the repair manual DTC troubleshooting procedure for
ECO code 17544:

- Check intake air system for leaks ("false air")
- Check HO2S ("Heated Oxygen Sensor") and O2S control
- Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
- Check fuel pressure regulator and residual fuel pressure
- Check fuel injectors
- Output Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM) (aka "the last resort")

To be honest, unless you can find an induction system leak, without a service
manual you've got little chance of finding the root cause of the problem - and
even with one it's going to take some work.

On the up side, air leaks are not uncommon, but then again, so are MAFs that
have aged beyond usable condition...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old June 25th 07, 02:44 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

I vote the little hose from the intake manifold down to the turbo!
You might be able to hear the leak as a HISS!

I had looked for that DTC too! Thought it was a joke! lol
--
later,
dave

"daytripper" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:12:52 GMT, "amado" > wrote:
. ..

Old June 25th 07, 04:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
amado

thanks i will get it check..since im getting the timing belt replace so
might as well have them look at it