Hosting an unattended GTR2 server (can it be done?)

Old April 29th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mcewena

Default Hosting an unattended GTR2 server (can it be done?)

Hi folks,

In Rfactor there's a parm in the multiplayer.ini file called "Pause
While Zero Players" which (when turned off) basically means that the
session clock starts counting down when it's started not when the
first human joins. Meaning if you set the server to start a 30min
practice session at noon you can be fairly certain that qualifying
will start at ~12:30.

With GTR2 I can't find an equivelent parameter and without it I'm
struggling to figure out how I would effectively automate the server
start process and have any certainty as to when qualifying or the race
would actually start. There is a GTR2 Server Manager utility that
will force qualifying to start at a specific time but that only works
for 1 heat per day....

Any solutions out there or must the server admin always be present to
fire things up in GTR2?

Thanks,

Art.
Old April 30th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
hoover

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:19:19 -0700 (PDT), mcewena wrote:

> Any solutions out there or must the server admin always be present to
> fire things up in GTR2?

Hello Art,

I'm no gtr2 hosting expert, but have you tried running gtr2 in an
vmware server 2 instance? This way, you could start the instance by a
cron script and be reasonably certain when the first session starts.

I don't know if gtr2 supports a dedicated server mode which runs
nicely in vmware 2 though, but we've been running rFactor on a vmware
server (CentOS 5.2) with good results for over half a year now, which
as many as 20 cars on the grid at times.

HTH,

Uwe

Old April 30th 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mcewena

On Apr 30, 2:32*am, hoover > wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:19:19 -0700 (PDT), mcewena wrote:
> > Any solutions out there or must the server admin always be present to
> > fire things up in GTR2?

> Hello Art,
>
> I'm no gtr2 hosting expert, but have you tried running gtr2 in an
> vmware server 2 instance? This way, you could start the instance by a
> cron script and be reasonably certain when the first session starts.

Hi Uwe,

I can start/stop the session with Windows Scheduler no problem, but
the session doesn't really "start" until the first person joins, so if
you have a 30 min practice that starts at noon and the first person
doesn't join until 12:15 then qualifying is delayed, (if he leaves I
think time stops). With RF that's also how it works by default but
you can change it so the session clock starts counting down from the
begining and therefore leads to predictable times.

Cheers,