Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

Old January 9th 18, 10:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On 9/01/2018 5:29 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 1:50:07 PM UTC-10, Mad Roger wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 16:31:04 -0500,
>> Tekkie wrote:
>>
>>> No mad man you have not researched anything, you ask everybody and argue and
>>> then criticize. If you HAD researched you would know all about the cables,
>>> shoes and adjusters. You are too busy taking pix and asking questions. 1)
>>> Take pix of brake assy after pulling drum.

>> Thanks for the advice, which is much appreciated.
>>
>> I don't think I said I was done with my homework - just that I was asking
>> out of due diligence - where I have plenty more homework to do, as you are
>> astutely noting.
>>
>> I haven't watched this whole video yet - it's an hour long - but it should
>> be able to give me all the physical steps necessary to replace the brakes.
>>
>> Drum Brake Shoe Replacement, Timmy The Toolman
>> <https://youtu.be/IJkVEBYSecs>
>>
>>> Go to NAPA and ask for a brake kit and linings and cylinders because
>>> yours will leak after you push the seals back or rebuild the cylinders.

>> The Toyota threads I've found insist on Toyota OEM shoes, but do say the
>> rest of the hardware can be gotten elsewhere.
>>
>> The cylinders don't appear to be shot, but 20 years is a long time so they
>> probably will fare with a rebuild.
>>
>> The Toyota folks say get the "u clip" which has to be bent, and which comes
>> standard with a factory OEM kit but might not come with the NAPA kit. We
>> don't have NAPA anywhere nearby, but we have other brands like Autozone,
>> and O'Reillys and Petboys.
>>
>>> Measure the drums as they may be shot after this debacle.

>> In the OP you see me measuring the internal diameter of the drums, which
>> have a limit of 297mm, but it's only 295 mm so we should be ok. Are you
>> intimating that the 2mm isn't enough of a safety zone?
>> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9335528drum_brakes_2.jpg>
>>
>> I think 2mm should be enough. It would be fine on a rotor.
>> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9428041drum_brakes_3.jpg>

> You got the tools but still have questions if your drum diameter is any good. Why the heck are you measuring the diameter? That info is mostly for the lathe operator if you need to have the drums resurfaced. I've never calipered a drum in my life. You get the new shoes and check the drum diameter by holding it against the drum surface. It'll be obvious if the diameter is too large. This ain't rocket science but you don't seem to be able to grasp the concepts of what's happening here. That's discouraging.

You get the feeling this fellow has been here before, in many guises?

--

Xeno
Old January 9th 18, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 11:16:50 PM UTC-10, Xeno wrote:
> You get the feeling this fellow has been here before, in many guises?
>
> --
>
> Xeno

To have an aptitude for mechanical work, you really have to start out young by taking stuff apart. That's how you get a feel for the task. I don't think that it's a job suitable for people that have mostly book learning. They don't have a feel for the task...
Old January 9th 18, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:38:57 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 11:16:50 PM UTC-10, Xeno wrote:
> > You get the feeling this fellow has been here before, in many guises?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Xeno

> To have an aptitude for mechanical work, you really have to start out young by taking stuff apart. That's how you get a feel for the task. I don't think that it's a job suitable for people that have mostly book learning. They don't have a feel for the task...

On Job Training works very good.
Old January 9th 18, 09:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 21:13:11 -0500,
Steve W. wrote:

> Wheel cylinder is bad as well. The rear shoe show virtually no wear,
> that indicates the wheel cylinder isn't doing it's job.

I'd agree with you given that the rear shoe, after 175K miles, still looks
perfect, while the front is worn - but all the Toyota threads seem to say
that is the way Toyota rear shoes wear.

They give this as the explanation:
https://s13.postimg.org/l3s1zwn93/diagram_1.jpg

> No, there is a leading shoe and a trailing shoe.

Thanks. That explains why I've never heard of "rotating" brake shoes!

>> But mainly I'm not sure what the procedure is for the parking brake cable.
>> Can you advise?

> On most you just make sure it is fully released. Then you install the
> new parts and adjust the base brakes so the drum just turns free. Then
> you adjust the E-Brake so it applies after the number of clicks or
> distance specified in the book.

Thanks. I found a good hour-long video specifically for the Toyota.
https://youtu.be/IJkVEBYSecs
Old January 9th 18, 09:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 21:56:58 -0500,
Clare Snyder wrote:

> Don't know about the USA but almost impossible to source the rubber
> parts kits here in Canada - and cyls are stupidly cheap compared to
> what they used to be. (labor to rebuild costs as much as a cyl if you
> are paying to have it done)

At a hundred bucks each, I wouldn't call cylinders "stupidly cheap".

Called the local Toyota dealer, who said the cylinders are $102 each, and
the brake shoes are $157 for a set of four, so that's about $400 with tax.

Toyota doesn't sell a rebuild/repair kit for the rear brake cylinders.

I'll look around for better parts although I need to know the friction
ratings to compare shoes apples to apples.
Old January 9th 18, 09:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie®

Mad Roger posted for all of us...

> In the OP you see me measuring the internal diameter of the drums, which
> have a limit of 297mm, but it's only 295 mm so we should be ok. Are you
> intimating that the 2mm isn't enough of a safety zone?

I didn't look at any of the pix. It should be ok if not scored or bell
mouthed or other problems.

--
Tekkie
Old January 9th 18, 10:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 15:51:35 -0500,
Tekkie+AK4- wrote:

> I didn't look at any of the pix. It should be ok if not scored or bell
> mouthed or other problems.

The drums are perfectly fine in that they have 2mm to spare even after 175K
miles on the original drums.

As you're probably aware, scoring has to be huge to fail a rotor or drum
(really huge when you look at the specs, it's amazing how huge).

The shoes are $157 for a set, and the cylinders are $102 each at Toyota.

I'm going to look for a rebuild kit because these cylinders are in great
shape from the looks of it (and I already rebuilt the brake master cylinder
which was also in great shape).
Old January 9th 18, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:38:03 AM UTC-10,

> On Job Training works very good.

One the job training is good. It is only on the job where one finds out if he can cut the mustard or the cheese.

Old January 9th 18, 11:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 01/09/2018 01:01 PM, Mad Roger wrote:

> Tekkie+AK4- wrote:
>
>> I didn't look at any of the pix. It should be ok if not scored or bell
>> mouthed or other problems.

> The drums are perfectly fine in that they have 2mm to spare even after 175K
> miles on the original drums.
>
> As you're probably aware, scoring has to be huge to fail a rotor or drum
> (really huge when you look at the specs, it's amazing how huge).

Several ~1/4" x 1/4" plus a number of smaller ones before I noticed any
problem except screeching. Ultimately I had to replace the rotors
($10/each) when the hogging-in started. It's interesting to know that
the pad backing plates are this sturdy!

> The shoes are $157 for a set, and the cylinders are $102 each at Toyota.

Jesus, that's kind of scary. For that big an investment you (or at
least *I*) might as well pay somebody else to do the work. FWIW I was
always happy with Pep Boys 'lifetime' parts. That was before most stuff
came from China, though.

If only there had been digital cameras to permanently record how those
nasty drum springs were arranged last time I did it -- I am guaranteed
to reassemble everything in every possible wrong way before finally
getting it right :-(

> I'm going to look for a rebuild kit because these cylinders are in great
> shape from the looks of it (and I already rebuilt the brake master cylinder
> which was also in great shape).

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you were trying to be offensive, you would have succeeded if I