A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Technology
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Automatic vs. Manual transmission



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 12th 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
SBH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?


Ads
  #2  
Old April 12th 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

SBH wrote:
> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?
>
>


Yep, The computer know how to shift the trans for economy better than
you do. The only reason that older autos were worse than a stick was due
to the slippage of the converter and the lack of close gearing. New
trans have lock up, better gearing, better overall gear ratios and the
computer controls make them work much better than a stick.

--
Steve W.
  #3  
Old April 12th 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,204
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

On 04/11/2011 05:45 PM, SBH wrote:
> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?


lots of people know the answer to this. you could too if you could be
bothered to look up the numbers on the manufacturer's website.

you'd be better off asking the question "why" - if you don't want a
"rtfm" answer.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
  #4  
Old April 12th 11, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,430
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

On 2011-04-12, Steve W. > wrote:
> SBH wrote:
>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?
>>
>>

>
> Yep, The computer know how to shift the trans for economy better than
> you do. The only reason that older autos were worse than a stick was due
> to the slippage of the converter and the lack of close gearing. New
> trans have lock up, better gearing, better overall gear ratios and the
> computer controls make them work much better than a stick.


But for small cars with small engines an MT will probably still be more
responsive than an AT programmed for fuel economy.


  #5  
Old April 12th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,139
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission


"SBH" > wrote in message
...
> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage
> than an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and
> wants a manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the
> new transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and
> more fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?


In many cases, the automatic is at least as economical as, or sometimes
better than, the manual. The difference is not worth the worry. And
dats the truff, babe ruff.

  #6  
Old April 12th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,204
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

On 04/11/2011 06:23 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2011-04-12, Steve > wrote:
>> SBH wrote:
>>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
>>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
>>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
>>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Yep, The computer know how to shift the trans for economy better than
>> you do. The only reason that older autos were worse than a stick was due
>> to the slippage of the converter and the lack of close gearing. New
>> trans have lock up, better gearing, better overall gear ratios and the
>> computer controls make them work much better than a stick.

>
> But for small cars with small engines an MT will probably still be more
> responsive than an AT programmed for fuel economy.


"probably"?


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
  #7  
Old April 12th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,430
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

On 2011-04-12, jim beam > wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 06:23 PM, Brent wrote:
>> On 2011-04-12, Steve > wrote:
>>> SBH wrote:
>>>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
>>>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
>>>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>>>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
>>>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Yep, The computer know how to shift the trans for economy better than
>>> you do. The only reason that older autos were worse than a stick was due
>>> to the slippage of the converter and the lack of close gearing. New
>>> trans have lock up, better gearing, better overall gear ratios and the
>>> computer controls make them work much better than a stick.

>>
>> But for small cars with small engines an MT will probably still be more
>> responsive than an AT programmed for fuel economy.

>
> "probably"?


What you don't have a smart ass response about some special drag racing
automatic?


  #8  
Old April 12th 11, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
SBH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission


"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> On 04/11/2011 05:45 PM, SBH wrote:
>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage
>> than
>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants
>> a
>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and
>> more
>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

>
> lots of people know the answer to this. you could too if you could be
> bothered to look up the numbers on the manufacturer's website.
>
> you'd be better off asking the question "why" - if you don't want a "rtfm"
> answer.
>

Silly me, why didn't I think of that....? Oh wait, I did, but that doesn't
erase my skepticism about manufacture mileage posting. It's similar to the
little guy enhancing the size of his johnson because it really isn't.
Therefore, I thought I'd bother myself twice and ask in here as well. You
know what they say about assumptions.


  #9  
Old April 12th 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mr.E
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:33:09 -0500, "hls" > wrote:

>
>"SBH" > wrote in message
.. .
>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage
>> than an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and
>> wants a manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the
>> new transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and
>> more fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

>
>In many cases, the automatic is at least as economical as, or sometimes
>better than, the manual. The difference is not worth the worry. And
>dats the truff, babe ruff.

The new Ford 6 speed auto has no torque converter. It uses a computer
applied clutch to start and shifts between two clutch driven gear
trains that change the ratios- one for odd, one for even gears.
I wonder how the clutch life will be.
--
Mr.E
  #10  
Old April 12th 11, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 617
Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

According to www.fueleconomy.gov, the "regular" automatic Fiesta is rated 29
city / 38 highway. The "regular" manual Fiesta is rated 28 city, 37 highway.
The SFE Fiesta, which has the automatic, is rated 29 city, 40 highway.
Interestingly, both the regular Fiesta automatic and the SFE Fiesta
automatic have a combined rating of 33. The regular manual Fiesta has a
combined rating of 32.

So, at leat in the government mandated tests, the automatic does get better
fuel economy than the manual. The fueleconomy.gov website allows individuals
to post fuel economy estimates. The individual estimates for the manual
transmission model Fiestas are higher that for the regualr or SFE automatic
versions (36.7 for the manual, 34.7 for the regualr automatic, 32.5 for the
SFE automatic). These are "personal" estimates, so take them with a grain of
salt.

Consumer reports tested both manual and an automatic versions of the Fiesta.
In the CR testing the overall mileage for the manual was 32 vs 33 for the
automatic. The manual got 39 mpg on the CR 150 mile trip. The automatic got
41 on the 150 mile trip. For CR the manual averaged 23 city, 42 highway. The
automatic averaged 22 city and 45 highway.

Be aware that the Fiesta automatic is not a traditional automatic. It is a
sort of computer shifted manual transmission. It is a dual clutch
transmission and unlike traditional automatic transmissions, it does not
have a torque converter. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission.

I have a 2011 Fiesta with an automatic. So far in my normal sort of driving
I am averaging just short of 36 mpg. I don't get a lot better on a long trip
(maybe 38 or so) but then I don't get much worse around town. I bought a
regular automatic Fiesta (not the SFE). The SFE model costs about $600 more
and although it has a higher highway rating (40 vs 38), the in town and
combined ratings are the same as the regular Fiesta. According to the Ford
salesman (not exactly an expert in my opinion) the SFE has additional
areodynamic features that allow it to achieve the higher highway ratings. I
doubt this (I didn't see any dramatic differences). I think it had more to
do with the tires (the SFE has different tires) and possibly the
transmission shift programming. I drove both and didn't really see much
different in performance between the two.

Ed




"SBH" > wrote in message
...
> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage
> than an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and
> wants a manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the
> new transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and
> more fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?
>



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CJ-5 manual to automatic transmission questions. [email protected] Jeep 2 August 27th 07 07:28 PM
WHAT DO I NEED TO CHANGE MY AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION TO MANUAL IN A HONDA CIVIC 93? [email protected] Honda 0 May 28th 07 06:42 AM
Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic Jacqueline Passey Honda 9 November 15th 06 09:36 PM
Converting an automatic Transmission to a manual one David Craig VW water cooled 2 October 24th 05 09:26 PM
Transmission Cooler For Tacoma PreRunner 4 Cylinder 2.7 Automatic Transmission Tommy Taylor Technology 1 January 1st 05 11:26 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.