A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Jeep
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 22nd 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 128
Default cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

Hello,

I am working on my brakes and on the rear passenger side something is
just not right. I wonder if the previous owner (or so) used a driver
side parking/emergency brake lever instead of the passenger side one.

Does anyone have a pic of what the passenger side assembled rear drum
brake on a '79 CJ5 looks like?

thanks,

Ron
Ads
  #2  
Old March 22nd 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 128
Default cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

Hi Bill,

well I must have something screwed up really well when I replaced the
axle shafts. (else I would never take them both off at the same time).

Actually, the wheel will only turn backwards with force and forward
not at all. (They should put those brakes on a prius)

I am also wondering if I ever had the correct emergency brake lever in
there.

With the adjusting star you mean the star of the adjusting screw,
right?


Ron

On Mar 22, 5:40*pm, "L.W.\(Bill\) Hughes III"
> wrote:
> Hi Ron,
> * * What could make a difference is the longer shoe on the front or the
> adjusting star on the wrong side, see if the shoes spread while ratcheting.http://www.billhughes.com/temp/brakediagram.jpg
> * * * * God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> * * * *
>
> "csdude" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
> > Hello,

>
> > I am working on my brakes and on the rear passenger side something is
> > just not right. *I wonder if *the previous owner (or so) used a driver
> > side parking/emergency brake lever instead of the passenger side one.

>
> > Does anyone have a pic of what the passenger side assembled rear drum
> > brake on a '79 CJ5 looks like?

>
> > thanks,

>
> > Ron


  #3  
Old March 22nd 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 128
Default cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

oh btw; what confuses me in that drum brake is that the 'prongs' on
the emergency brake lever seem to be pointing forward. I'd expect
them to be pointing backwards so the prongs keep the cable from
sliding off.

Ron

  #4  
Old March 23rd 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Cujo DeSockpuppet[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 700
Default cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

"L.W.\(Bill\) Hughes III" > wrote in
:

> Hi Ron,
> What could make a difference is


Goat****er Bill croaking.

--
Cujo - The Official Overseer of Kooks and Trolls in dfw.*,
alt.paranormal, alt.astrology and alt.astrology.metapsych. Supreme Holy
Overlord of alt.****nozzles. Winner of the 8/2000, 2/2003 & 4/2007 HL&S
award. July 2005 Hammer of Thor. Winning Trainer - Barbara Woodhouse
Memorial Dog Whistle - 12/2005 & 4/2008. COOSN-266-06-01895.
"Bring it on spinics! Pray to whatever God you believe in that you
DON'T meet me in person for a debate -- I debate better than Kerry!"
- Edmo discusses a future lunch at PF Changs he'll never attend.
  #5  
Old March 23rd 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Square Wheels[_27_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 63
Default cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:40:39 -0800, L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

> Hi Ron,
> What could make a difference is the longer shoe on the front or the
> adjusting star on the wrong side, see if the shoes spread while ratcheting.
> http://www.billhughes.com/temp/brakediagram.jpg


csdude:

Follow Bill's advice at your own peril.

ANYONE else in this group (even me) is more knowledgeable and reliable.

Bill has not actually worked on ANY Jheap made within the last 20+ years,
if not longer, and all his 'info' comes from Google.

'Caveat Emptor' has never been more appropriate than when dealing with our
little Cooyon 'Delusions of Adequacy' Hughes.


SW


> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>
>
> "csdude" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on my brakes and on the rear passenger side something is
>> just not right. I wonder if the previous owner (or so) used a driver
>> side parking/emergency brake lever instead of the passenger side one.
>>
>> Does anyone have a pic of what the passenger side assembled rear drum
>> brake on a '79 CJ5 looks like?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Ron


--
This message brought to you by:

Cool Canadian Air®
Packed fresh every day in the Hudson Bay and shipped to your door.


  #6  
Old March 23rd 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 128
Default cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

On Mar 22, 10:19*pm, Square Wheels >
wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:40:39 -0800, L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:
> > Hi Ron,
> > * * What could make a difference is the longer shoe on the front or the
> > adjusting star on the wrong side, see if the shoes spread while ratcheting.
> >http://www.billhughes.com/temp/brakediagram.jpg

>
> csdude:
>
> Follow Bill's advice at your own peril.
>
> ANYONE else in this group (even me) is more knowledgeable and reliable.
>
> Bill has not actually worked on ANY Jheap made within the last 20+ years,
> if not longer, and all his 'info' comes from Google.
>
> 'Caveat Emptor' has never been more appropriate than when dealing with our
> little Cooyon 'Delusions of Adequacy' Hughes.
>
> SW
>
>
>
> > * * * * God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> > * * * *

>
> > "csdude" > wrote in message
> ...
> >> Hello,

>
> >> I am working on my brakes and on the rear passenger side something is
> >> just not right. *I wonder if *the previous owner (or so) used a driver
> >> side parking/emergency brake lever instead of the passenger side one.

>
> >> Does anyone have a pic of what the passenger side assembled rear drum
> >> brake on a '79 CJ5 looks like?

>
> >> thanks,

>
> >> Ron

>
> --
> This message brought to you by:
>
> Cool Canadian Air®
> Packed fresh every day in the Hudson Bay and shipped to your door.


but than again you seemed to have not even once posted something on
topic according to google groups.
  #7  
Old March 23rd 10, 07:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Square Wheels[_27_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 63
Default cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:31:12 -0700, csdude wrote:

> On Mar 22, 10:19*pm, Square Wheels >
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:40:39 -0800, L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:
>> > Hi Ron,
>> > * * What could make a difference is the longer shoe on the front or the
>> > adjusting star on the wrong side, see if the shoes spread while ratcheting.
>> >http://www.billhughes.com/temp/brakediagram.jpg

>>
>> csdude:
>>
>> Follow Bill's advice at your own peril.
>>
>> ANYONE else in this group (even me) is more knowledgeable and reliable.
>>
>> Bill has not actually worked on ANY Jheap made within the last 20+ years,
>> if not longer, and all his 'info' comes from Google.
>>
>> 'Caveat Emptor' has never been more appropriate than when dealing with our
>> little Cooyon 'Delusions of Adequacy' Hughes.
>>
>> SW
>>
>>
>>
>> > * * * * God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>> > * * * *

>>
>> > "csdude" > wrote in message
>> ...
>> >> Hello,

>>
>> >> I am working on my brakes and on the rear passenger side something is
>> >> just not right. *I wonder if *the previous owner (or so) used a driver
>> >> side parking/emergency brake lever instead of the passenger side one.

>>
>> >> Does anyone have a pic of what the passenger side assembled rear drum
>> >> brake on a '79 CJ5 looks like?

>>
>> >> thanks,

>>
>> >> Ron

>>
>> --
>> This message brought to you by:
>>
>> Cool Canadian Air®
>> Packed fresh every day in the Hudson Bay and shipped to your door.

>
> but than again you seemed to have not even once posted something on
> topic according to google groups.


Then perhaps:

1) You missed something

2) Google Groups was incorrect

or most likely

3) When posting to this particular group, I often activate the
'No-Archive' feature newsposters have.

On any case, /having/ knowledge does not directly imply the sharing of it,
especially in a group in which virtually everyone except Bill Hughes has
Jheap-specific knowledge which far outstrips mine. But I have indeed
offered some Jheap-related info; it's doubtful if anyone except Bill ever
read it, but that's just fine by me.

I don't play with Jheaps, never have and never will. My forté is -- to
paraphrase Bill himself -- 'real cars', average daily-drivers, off-the
showroom-floor stocks, Hot Rods, street machines, Classics,, foreign,
imports, US domestics, i.e, the entire spectrum -- and has been since
early childhood.

Recreational vehicles, Winnebagos, Jheaps, dirt-bikes have little interest
other than the fact that they share a little in common with real cars.

And not to be rude, but I think your knowledge of the 'Google Groups'
function, functionality, parameters, weaknesses in basic programming, and
their long history of data-loss and data-corruption is slightly lacking.
Study up on it a bit and you may find yourself slightly amazed.

Two important things to always remember are that 'Google is NOT your
friend' and that their main purpose it to track you and gather all the
info they can on you. It's a major source of income for them.


SW


--
This message brought to you by:

Cool Canadian Air®
Packed fresh every day in the Hudson Bay and shipped to your door.


  #8  
Old March 23rd 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Square Wheels[_27_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 63
Default cj5 rear brake (drum) parking/emergency brake lever

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:03:27 -0800, L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

> Hi Ron,
> I think you'll have to give the emergency brake cables some slack


Uh, dimwit, what experience do you have in giving anyone or anything 'some
slack', eh?

> or the
> adjustment star. So you may get the drum off, then you can compare with this
> pictu
> http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axl...2/DSCN0913.jpg And see the
> shoes are seated and up against the anchor at the top.


> Good luck.


Yeah, he'll need it.

> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O



It's OK, I already did.


Yer bud,


St. Michael the Awesome



>
> http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm
>
> "csdude" > wrote in message
> ...
>> oh btw; what confuses me in that drum brake is that the 'prongs' on
>> the emergency brake lever seem to be pointing forward. I'd expect
>> them to be pointing backwards so the prongs keep the cable from
>> sliding off.
>>
>> Ron
>>


--
This message brought to you by:

Cool Canadian Air®
Packed fresh every day in the Hudson Bay and shipped to your door.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tech: C3 parking brake lever Robert in Ridgecrest, CA Corvette 0 October 12th 07 06:56 AM
Help Parking Brake cable emergency Caravan Vijay Kumar Chrysler 5 August 23rd 06 10:10 PM
93 Cherokee Emergency brake lever flydog Jeep 8 April 22nd 06 01:36 PM
Jeep Cherokee ('93) Emergency Brake Lever flydog 4x4 2 April 21st 06 04:51 PM
Parking brake/Rear drum sticking on Rabbit Bryan K. Walton VW water cooled 9 March 19th 06 12:44 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.