E85 gasoline?

Old December 19th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_25_]

Default E85 gasoline?

Steve W. wrote:

> Take a look at the VIN number. If the 8th character in the VIN is E , G
> or 3 It has a flex fuel engine in it and can run E85, It should also
> have a gas cap labeled as E85/Gasoline.

The 8th character is a G. But the gas cap does NOT have E85 anywhere
on it that I can see?

> Oh and if you do run E85 expect to lose mileage and use more fuel.
>
> From an article called the Top ten facts about Flex Fuel vehicles.
> By Brian Chee
> http://snipurl.com/15apq
>
> Simply put, a flex-fuel vehicle using gasoline travels farther, at a
> clip of about 3 miles per gallon. That's what we discovered while
> driving a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with flex-fuel capability. We clocked
> an average fuel economy of 13.4 miles per gallon using regular grade
> unleaded - not so hot, but much better than E85. A tank of E85 gasoline
> registered just 10.4 miles per gallon under virtually identical driving
> conditions. This makes the use the E85 more expensive, by around $20
> more per tank. And while that may seem like chump change, it's exactly
> the opposite of what people are currently looking to accomplish.

Currently I get about 23 mpg on regular ethanol gas. Do you think I
would lose more than 3 mpg? I figured if E85 is about 30 cents a gal
less than regular and if I lost 3 mpg off of 23 mpg that I would do
just a couple dollars better than break even over 1000 miles of
driving. Probably not worth the worry of what it will do to my
engine............

Thanks!

Steve

Old December 19th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Steve wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>
>> Take a look at the VIN number. If the 8th character in the VIN is E , G
>> or 3 It has a flex fuel engine in it and can run E85, It should also
>> have a gas cap labeled as E85/Gasoline.

> The 8th character is a G. But the gas cap does NOT have E85 anywhere
> on it that I can see?

If the VIN is G your OK.

>> Oh and if you do run E85 expect to lose mileage and use more fuel.
>>
>> From an article called the Top ten facts about Flex Fuel vehicles.
>> By Brian Chee
>> http://snipurl.com/15apq
>>
>> Simply put, a flex-fuel vehicle using gasoline travels farther, at a
>> clip of about 3 miles per gallon. That's what we discovered while
>> driving a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with flex-fuel capability. We clocked
>> an average fuel economy of 13.4 miles per gallon using regular grade
>> unleaded - not so hot, but much better than E85. A tank of E85 gasoline
>> registered just 10.4 miles per gallon under virtually identical driving
>> conditions. This makes the use the E85 more expensive, by around $20
>> more per tank. And while that may seem like chump change, it's exactly
>> the opposite of what people are currently looking to accomplish.

> Currently I get about 23 mpg on regular ethanol gas. Do you think I
> would lose more than 3 mpg? I figured if E85 is about 30 cents a gal
> less than regular and if I lost 3 mpg off of 23 mpg that I would do
> just a couple dollars better than break even over 1000 miles of
> driving. Probably not worth the worry of what it will do to my
> engine............
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

The average losses I have heard about and seen have been between 10-20%
range. Oh and if the federal subsidies on E85 production get dropped
expect the price to jump at least 58 cents.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old December 19th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Steve wrote:

> Brent P wrote:
>
>>A crude google search does turn up flex fuel 2000 caravans, but only with
>>the 3.3L V6. quick and dirty, might not be right.

> Thank you! I mistakenly said 3.8 but it IS a 3.3L V6, it is stamped
> right on the engine.
>
> Anyway, I'm still not sure if I want to use E85 but what if I mix half
> a tank of regular Ethanol with half a tank of E85?

I think you are missing something here. There's no such thing as
"regular Ethanol," E85 *IS* the highest percentage of ethanol commonly
available. "Regular" fuel is gasoline with 0, 5, 15, or 20% ethanol
adulterat^H^H^H^H^H^ added to it :-)

Old December 19th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_25_]

Steve wrote:
> > Anyway, I'm still not sure if I want to use E85 but what if I mix half
> > a tank of regular Ethanol with half a tank of E85?

> I think you are missing something here. There's no such thing as
> "regular Ethanol," E85 *IS* the highest percentage of ethanol commonly
> available. "Regular" fuel is gasoline with 0, 5, 15, or 20% ethanol
> adulterat^H^H^H^H^H^ added to it :-)

Yes! I am used to being accused of "missing something" all right!
/:-D

But here in MN I think the regular gas has 10% ethanol?? But not
really sure.

Steve

Old December 19th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_25_]

Steve W. wrote:
> The average losses I have heard about and seen have been between 10-20%
> range. Oh and if the federal subsidies on E85 production get dropped
> expect the price to jump at least 58 cents.

If the price jumps that much, the gas stations will be tying up a tank
that will never get used....
But then who knows???

Steve

Old December 19th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Steve wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>> The average losses I have heard about and seen have been between 10-20%
>> range. Oh and if the federal subsidies on E85 production get dropped
>> expect the price to jump at least 58 cents.

> If the price jumps that much, the gas stations will be tying up a tank
> that will never get used....
> But then who knows???
>
> Steve

They won't have to worry. They can just blend it into the normal
gasoline. 99% of the regular sold in the US already is 10% Ethanol
anyway. If your in a state like NY or CA it is even higher% in the winter.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old December 20th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_27_]

"Steve" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Steve W. wrote:
>
> The 8th character is a G. But the gas cap does NOT have E85 anywhere
> on it that I can see?

It's not on the gas cap, its on the inside (or backside) of the gas filler
door. It's a decal that says use unleaded gasoline or E85 ethanol. Make sure
it's there before you try E85.

Old December 20th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Steve wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > We have a 1999 Plymouth Gr. Voyager with the flex-fuel engine and we had the
> > same hesitation about trying the E85 fuel. But you don't need to worry.
> > Other than some loss of mpg, you probably won't notice any difference. The
> > engine automatically senses the E85 and adjusts itself to the fuel. Our van
> > ran just fine on it.

> Hey thanks!
>
> This gives me alot better feeling to try it now.
>
> Steve

I rented one of the new Impalas a few months ago with a flex-fuel
engine. Besides the loss of gas mileage, I also noticed that there was
a loss of power. It ran fine, but crushing the gas pedal didn't have
nearly the same effect as it would have with the regular in the tank.
The other negative I remember that nobody has mentioned as that the E85
STINKS! It's more booze than gasoline and if you spill a drop on
yourself or the body of your car you will think your stuck in the 14th
inning of an August baseball game by the smell of spilled beer.

I was really disappointed with my experience. The stuff doesn't burn
as well, so you don't break even on the cost/mileage. It really is the
corn farmers boondoggle that some complain about. When they go to
switchgrass for feed stock let me know.

Matthew