Self-Driving Cars are Coming!

Old December 28th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

Default Self-Driving Cars are Coming!

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 08:39:55 -0800, Scott en Aztlán >
wrote:

>Pay close attention to the car commercials on TV these days. Already
>I've seen an Acura and an Audi commercial involving a bunch of cars
>that drive around all by themselves. In the Acura commercial, the cars
>drive around the showroom, but quickly return to their places when the
>sales manager comes back into the showroom to retreive something he
>forgot totake with him; in the Audi commercial, the cars leave their
>owners' driveways and "play" together all night long, returning home
>at sunrise just as their owners are stepping out of the house to go to
>work.
>
>Is this just a case of one advertising agency copy-catting another,
>kinda like how Hollywood somehow comes out with TWO
>asteroid-striked-the-earth movies ("Armageddon" and "Deep Impact") at
>about the same time? Or is there a concerted effort on the part of the
>automobile industry to get the public used to the idea of self-driving
>cars prior to their commercial introduction?

Self driving cars, if that were possible, would open some interesting
possibilities. No more traffic lights, for instance. All vehicles could
communicate with each other, and just take turns at intersections, possibly by
simply adjusting speed so that one passes thru the intersection a few 1/10ths
of a second after another one, even at high speed. It would likely scare the
occupants to death, tho.

Dave Head
Old December 28th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Dave Head wrote:

> No more traffic lights, for instance.

Zuricj Insurance tries that one on over here.

Just imagine the carnage if one mictochip as much as 'hiicups' ????

Humans - rather scarily - are actually much better drivers than machines are ever
likely to be. They do need proper tuition to perform adequately though and
'ordinary learner drivers' are quite hopeless after passing what's euphemistically
called a 'test'.

Graham

Old December 28th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:13:49 +0000, Eeyore
> wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>
>> No more traffic lights, for instance.

>Zuricj Insurance tries that one on over here.
>
>Just imagine the carnage if one mictochip as much as 'hiicups' ????
>
>Humans - rather scarily - are actually much better drivers than machines are ever
>likely to be. They do need proper tuition to perform adequately though and
>'ordinary learner drivers' are quite hopeless after passing what's euphemistically
>called a 'test'.
>
>Graham

Computer control of real-life road driving isn't going to happen until computer
pattern recognition is figured out. The car is going to have to be able to
"see" that the tumbleweed being blown across the road is not a reason for
violent collision avoidance maneuvers, while realizing that it is in the desert
southwest where there are commonly tumbleweeds. Likewise, the car must "see"
that the obstruction in the road ahead is a deer, and really needs to be
avoided if possible, and that deer can be standing still one second, and
rapidly acclerating in a completely unpredictable direction the next instant.
And, the car should know that the chances that this is really a deer is much
higher in Michigan than in Arizona (although I saw "elk crossing" signs in
Arizona if I remember right.)

Now, if they ever do figure that out, then you might see some really wild
stuff, like the car figuring out that there just really is no way to miss
whatever is in the road, so does a spin manuever at just the right time to hit
the obstruction with the rear of the car, forcing people into their seats
instead of forward toward the steering wheel and dashboard, and allowing much
less potential for injury as the seats absorb the sudden deceleration.

Dave Head
Old December 28th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

> Now, if they ever do figure that out, then you might see some really wild
> stuff, like the car figuring out that there just really is no way to miss
> whatever is in the road, so does a spin manuever at just the right time to
> hit
> the obstruction with the rear of the car, forcing people into their seats
> instead of forward toward the steering wheel and dashboard, and allowing
> much
> less potential for injury as the seats absorb the sudden deceleration.
>
> Dave Head

Yeah, that would be a neat trick. I can't think of too many sudden,
unanticipated obstructions that would be that large, though. If the
computer has time to spin the car around, the computer has time to find an
escape route. -Dave

Old December 28th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:52:12 -0500, "Mike T." > wrote:

>> Now, if they ever do figure that out, then you might see some really wild
>> stuff, like the car figuring out that there just really is no way to miss
>> whatever is in the road, so does a spin manuever at just the right time to
>> hit
>> the obstruction with the rear of the car, forcing people into their seats
>> instead of forward toward the steering wheel and dashboard, and allowing
>> much
>> less potential for injury as the seats absorb the sudden deceleration.
>>
>> Dave Head

>Yeah, that would be a neat trick. I can't think of too many sudden,
>unanticipated obstructions that would be that large, though.

It would be rare, but there is always the ding-dong that blows a stopsign at a
sideroad and comes to a halt in the middle of the road 100 feet in front of
you. You prolly ain't gonna miss him, other than going into the ditch which
might be even more dangerous at a road intersection where you're going to hit
the culvert that goes under the road he came out of.

>If the
>computer has time to spin the car around, the computer has time to find an
>escape route. -Dave

The maneuver might be executed by the application of the brakes at in a pattern
that would be impossible for a regular driver, spinning the car on its center
of gravity axis and very rapidly to boot. It'd be a rare thing, tho.

Dave Head

Old December 29th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Furious George

Dave Head wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:13:49 +0000, Eeyore
> > wrote:
>

> >Dave Head wrote:
> >
> >> No more traffic lights, for instance.

> >Zuricj Insurance tries that one on over here.
> >
> >Just imagine the carnage if one mictochip as much as 'hiicups' ????
> >
> >Humans - rather scarily - are actually much better drivers than machines are ever
> >likely to be. They do need proper tuition to perform adequately though and
> >'ordinary learner drivers' are quite hopeless after passing what's euphemistically
> >called a 'test'.
> >
> >Graham

> Computer control of real-life road driving isn't going to happen until computer
> pattern recognition is figured out. The car is going to have to be able to
> "see" that the tumbleweed being blown across the road is not a reason for
> violent collision avoidance maneuvers, while realizing that it is in the desert
> southwest where there are commonly tumbleweeds. Likewise, the car must "see"
> that the obstruction in the road ahead is a deer, and really needs to be
> avoided if possible, and that deer can be standing still one second, and
> rapidly acclerating in a completely unpredictable direction the next instant.
> And, the car should know that the chances that this is really a deer is much
> higher in Michigan than in Arizona (although I saw "elk crossing" signs in
> Arizona if I remember right.)
>
> Now, if they ever do figure that out, then you might see some really wild
> stuff, like the car figuring out that there just really is no way to miss
> whatever is in the road, so does a spin manuever at just the right time to hit
> the obstruction with the rear of the car, forcing people into their seats
> instead of forward toward the steering wheel and dashboard, and allowing much
> less potential for injury as the seats absorb the sudden deceleration.

That would be some feat of driving. However, if that were to ever
happen, it would indicate that the computer failed to make the proper
decision at some previous time.

Ideally, such a system would be very simple from the user perspective.
It would take the user from where he/she is to where he/she needs to go
with a minimum of discomfort. Such a manuever would be a massive
discomfort and simply unacceptable.

Old December 29th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Furious George

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Dave Head > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >>Yeah, that would be a neat trick. I can't think of too many sudden,
> >>unanticipated obstructions that would be that large, though.

> >It would be rare, but there is always the ding-dong that blows a stopsign at a
> >sideroad and comes to a halt in the middle of the road 100 feet in front of
> >you. You prolly ain't gonna miss him, other than going into the ditch

> Careful - you're starting to sound like Carl Troller!
>
> >>If the
> >>computer has time to spin the car around, the computer has time to find an
> >>escape route. -Dave

> >The maneuver might be executed by the application of the brakes at in a pattern
> >that would be impossible for a regular driver, spinning the car on its center
> >of gravity axis and very rapidly to boot. It'd be a rare thing, tho.

> If the computer senses that the collision is unavoidable and the car
> is going to become toast anyway (by doing a quick kinetic energy
> calculation and using that to predict the damage) it might as well
> fill the cockpit with that safety foam that you see in movies like "I,
> Robot."

F*ck that. If the computer senses an unavoidable collision, I want it
to open the ceiling roof and ignite the emergency eject rocket seat.
When I am in the air, it should deploy the emergency eject parachute
and guide me to a landing in a safe spot.

Old December 29th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Someone wrote:
>It would likely scare the
>occupants to death, tho.

Even more so if the controlling OS was Winblows.

---

Don't steal; the government hates competition!
Old December 29th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:54:34 -0800, Scott en Aztlán >
wrote:

>Dave Head > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>>Yeah, that would be a neat trick. I can't think of too many sudden,
>>>unanticipated obstructions that would be that large, though.

>>It would be rare, but there is always the ding-dong that blows a stopsign at a
>>sideroad and comes to a halt in the middle of the road 100 feet in front of
>>you. You prolly ain't gonna miss him, other than going into the ditch

>Careful - you're starting to sound like Carl Troller!

It _could_ happen... its just not worth going around your entire life waiting
for it and driving idiotically slow speed just in case it does. Been driving
43 years now, and it hasn't happened to me.

>>>If the
>>>computer has time to spin the car around, the computer has time to find an
>>>escape route. -Dave

>>The maneuver might be executed by the application of the brakes at in a pattern
>>that would be impossible for a regular driver, spinning the car on its center
>>of gravity axis and very rapidly to boot. It'd be a rare thing, tho.

>If the computer senses that the collision is unavoidable and the car
>is going to become toast anyway (by doing a quick kinetic energy
>calculation and using that to predict the damage) it might as well
>fill the cockpit with that safety foam that you see in movies like "I,
>Robot."

Which will probably catch fire and burn after the wreck, anyway... <G>

Dave Head
Old December 29th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On 28 Dec 2006 18:56:39 -0800, "Furious George" > wrote:

>Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>> >It would be rare, but there is always the ding-dong that blows a stopsign at a
>> >sideroad and comes to a halt in the middle of the road 100 feet in front of
>> >you. You prolly ain't gonna miss him, other than going into the ditch

>> Careful - you're starting to sound like Carl Troller!

>> >The maneuver might be executed by the application of the brakes at in a pattern
>> >that would be impossible for a regular driver, spinning the car on its center
>> >of gravity axis and very rapidly to boot. It'd be a rare thing, tho.

>> If the computer senses that the collision is unavoidable and the car
>> is going to become toast anyway (by doing a quick kinetic energy
>> calculation and using that to predict the damage) it might as well
>> fill the cockpit with that safety foam that you see in movies like "I,
>> Robot."

>F*ck that. If the computer senses an unavoidable collision, I want it
>to open the ceiling roof and ignite the emergency eject rocket seat.
>When I am in the air, it should deploy the emergency eject parachute
>and guide me to a landing in a safe spot.

Actually a good idea as long as:

1) The car is smart enough to know you aren't underneath a great big oak tree,
high tension wires or in a tunnel.

2) The other car's safety system doesn't do the exact same thing and
everybody's ejection seats collide in mid air and kills everyone anyway.

In reality, ejection seats are way to complicated, dangerous, and uncomfortable
to be practical. Pilots have to have cables attached to their legs to pull
them back in toward the seat so their feet don't catch on something and get
sheared off. Pilots don't have a steering wheel in front of them to sheer off
their legs, either.

But getting out of there before the impact is a great idea - just difficult to
implement.

Dave Head