sim racing is dead

Old December 24th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Default sim racing is dead

I think the only reason SIM racing may be slow right now (it sure isn't
dead) is there hasn't been a REAL Nascar Racing sim on the shelves for going
on 4 years now.

I honestly believe if they took NR2003, patched the known issues, updated
the cars and tracks, and maybe tweaked the physics a bit, it would sell like
gangbusters, especially if properly promoted.

No, it can never happen, but if it could...

I also think it's getting close to possible to have a proper SIM the caliber
of NR2003 on xBOX or PS3. I think the horsepower may be there now. There
would definitely need to be work done on controllers though. Using
thumsticks just would not cut it. In fact, if it ever gets done, I hope
there is a host option that says "Wheel Required".

Again, we'll never see it though. One can wish

-Larry

Old December 24th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Larry" > wrote in message
>I think the only reason SIM racing may be slow right now (it sure isn't
>dead) is there hasn't been a REAL Nascar Racing sim on the shelves for
>going on 4 years now.
>
> I honestly believe if they took NR2003, patched the known issues, updated
> the cars and tracks, and maybe tweaked the physics a bit, it would sell
> like gangbusters, especially if properly promoted.
>
> No, it can never happen, but if it could...
>
> I also think it's getting close to possible to have a proper SIM the
> caliber of NR2003 on xBOX or PS3. I think the horsepower may be there
> now. There would definitely need to be work done on controllers though.
> Using thumsticks just would not cut it. In fact, if it ever gets done, I
> hope there is a host option that says "Wheel Required".
>
> Again, we'll never see it though. One can wish
>
> -Larry

I think consoles are still a bit behind. It takes a ton of horsepower to
calculate all the physics of a true simulator. Today's sims, both racing and
flight simulations have very complex physics, and get more so with about
every release. The video rendering is about there though, but until the
processor power gets to where the PC is I don't think that a "true"
simulation is possible. 5yrs down the road it probably will happen.

Ed

Old December 24th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Gil

I remember Grand Prix by Activision for my Atari.

Hey, I still know of a Viper Racing group that runs most nights.

If they come up with the racing game, someone out here will drive it!

Merry Christmas!

Gil

Old December 25th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
L.K. Duh

On 24 Dec 2006 08:50:37 -0800, Gil
wrote:

> I remember Grand Prix by Activision for my Atari.
>
> Hey, I still know of a Viper Racing group that runs most nights.
>
> If they come up with the racing game, someone out here will drive it!
>

> Merry Christmas!
>
> Gil

unless its an eas nascrap game.

The Deadly World of Street Racing [email protected] Driving 6 July 18th 06 06:58 AM
BOOK - ROAD RACING [email protected] Technology 1 April 25th 06 03:56 PM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 05:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 06:39 PM
Tough to Enter the Racing Sim Scene Chuck Simulators 14 November 10th 04 06:27 AM