Google keeps a log of all your electronic parts, brakes, tools, and automotive tires digital receipts emailed to your GMail account.

Old May 22nd 19, 07:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
Arlen G. Holder

Default Google keeps a log of all your electronic parts, brakes, tools, and automotive tires digital receipts emailed to your GMail account.

Thanks to purposefully helpful suggestions by rbowman & Clare Snyder in
this thread, we have five potential replacement free mail services to
consider.

Moving the on-topic potluck forward, I add value by reporting that I tested
for the team the following five mail services, all of which seem to be
potentially viable as Gmail replacements; however, my assessment is based
only on _preliminary_ tests over the past couple of days only (where time
will tell whether these five mail services are viable Google alternatives).
o GMX <https://www.gmx.com/mail/>
o Proton Mail <https://protonmail.com/>
o Tutanota <https://tutanota.com/>
o Yandex <https://mail.yandex.com/>
o Zoho <https://www.zoho.com/mail/>

GMX:
o Unknown storage limit
o Required Mr or Ms gender selection
o Required a first & last name
o Required a country, and, for the USA, a state
o Required a DOB
o Password must be at least 8 characters
o Required a password-recovery selection (SMS or email)
o Required a phone number for SMS verification (but didn't use it???)
o Required captcha (easy fire-hydrant single-pass stuff)
o Doesn't inform you the username is valid until late in the game

Proton:
o 500MB storage & 150 messages per day limit
o Allows choice of domain (protonmail.com, protonmail.ch)
o Recovery email is optional
o Doesn't require gender or name or DOB or location or phone, etc.
o Informs you in real time whether the username is taken or available
o Password must be at least 6 characters
o Choice of verification by captcha, email, sms, or donation
o Captcha is easy one-pass fire-hydrant stuff
o Asks to "show notifications" (which you can block or allow)

Tutanota:
o 1 GB limit
o Doesn't require gender or name or DOB or location or phone, etc.
o Requires a strong password of undetermined characters (at least 8)
o Tells you the password cannot be reset (so choose wisely, I guess)
o Informs you in real time whether the username is taken or available
o Asks you to write down 64 hex character "recovery code"

Yandex:
o Unknown storage limit
o Requires only first name & surname
o Informs you in real time whether the username is taken or available
o Requires a strong password of undetermined characters (at least 8)
o Asks for telephone number but lets you skip in favor of security question
o Allows you to write your own custom security question & custom answer
o Requires a simple Captcha-like typing of screenshot words

Zoho
o 5GB storage limit
o Requires only first name & last name
o Username must be more than 6 characters
o Password literally requires 8 letters even if it's much longer than that
o Requires mobile phone number to send SMS verification code
o Accepts free second-line mobile phone software SMS numbers though
o Asks to enable 2FA but you can skip it "for now"
o Save the numeric "user id" which shows up after you create the account

If you have data to share to improve the quick summary above, or, if you
know of _other_ free gmail service replacements, please let us know as
Usenet is a potluck where everyone is expected to bring something of value
to share.
Old May 22nd 19, 10:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
Arlen G. Holder

On Wed, 22 May 2019 06:49:26 -0000 (UTC), Arlen G. Holder wrote:

> If you have data to share to improve the quick summary above, or, if you
> know of _other_ free gmail service replacements, please let us know as
> Usenet is a potluck where everyone is expected to bring something of value
> to share.

Since I only tested the five suggested mail services using the web,
it's time to choose a cross platform free MUA out of this list of
common ones.
o Blue Mail (iOS) <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blue-mail-email-mailbox/id1063729305>
o Claws Mail (Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS) <https://www.claws-mail.org/>
o eMClient (Windows, Mac) <https://www.emclient.com/>
o Evolution (Linux) <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution>
o Geary (Linux) <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Geary>
o Hiri (Windows, Mac, Linux) <https://www.hiri.com/>
o Inky (Windows, Mac, Android) <https://inky.com/>
o K-9 Mail (Android) <https://k9mail.github.io/>
o Mailbird (Windows) <https://www.getmailbird.com/>
o Mailspring (fork of Nylas Mail) <https://getmailspring.com/>
o myMail (iOS) <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mymail-email-app/id722120997>
o Nylas Mail (Windows, IOS, Linux, Mac) <https://www.nylas.com/>
o Outlook (Windows) <https://outlook.live.com/owa/>
o Pegasus <http://www.pmail.com/downloads.htm>
o Spark (Android) <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.readdle.spark>
o Spike (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS) <https://www.spikenow.com/>
o Thunderbird (Windows, Mac, Linux) <https://www.thunderbird.net/>
o Windows Live Mail (Windows) <https://windows-live-mail.en.softonic.com/>
o Zimbra (Windows, Mac, Linux) <https://www.zimbra.com/>
etc.

Choosing Clawmail (since it's on all five common consumer platforms),
the next step is to look up the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 server settings for
each of the five suggested mail services.

Here is a first pass at the POP3, IMAP4, & SMTP server & port settings.
o <https://emailconfiguration.com/>
o <https://www.arclab.com/en/kb/email/list-of-smtp-and-pop3-servers-mailserver-list.html>

GMX:
o POP3: pop.gmx.com:995 (SSL or encryption)(alternative: 110) TLS/SSL required: yes for port 995, no for port 110
o IMAP4: imap.gmx.com:993 (SSL/TLS)(alternative: 143) TLS/SSL required: yes for port 993, no for port 143
o SMTP: mail.gmx.com:587/465 (STARTTLS, TLS or encryption) smtp.gmx.com:587 TLS/SSL required: no
o Username:
o Password: fubar

Proton:
o POP3: web only?
o IMAP4: web only?
o SMTP: web only?
o Username:

o Password: fubar

Tutanota:
o POP3: web only?
o IMAP4: web only?
o SMTP: web only?
o Username:

o Password: fubar

Yandex:
o POP3: pop.yandex.com:995/SSL
o IMAP4: imap.yandex.com:993/SSL
o SMTP: smtp.yandex.com:465/SSL 587/SSL
o Username:

o Password: fubar

Zoho:
o POP3: pop.zoho.eu:995/SSL
o IMAP4: imap.zoho.eu:993 SSL
o SMTP: smtp.zoho.eu:587/TLS 465/SSL
o Username:

o Password: fubar

Here is where the information above came from in this first pass.

GMX:
o <https://emailconfiguration.com/gmx-com>
o <http://smtpimap.email/gmx.com-smtp-imap-email-settings.html>
o <https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/pop3/serverdata.html>
o <https://www.lifewire.com/what-are-the-gmx-mail-smtp-settings-1172152>
o <https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/pop3/index.html>
o <https://www.serversettings.email/gmx.at-email-server-settings-imap.php>
o <https://serversmtp.com/smtp-gmx/>

Proton:
o <http://prontomail.com/imap.html>
o No POP3 support
o <https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/imap-smtp-and-pop3-setup/>
o <http://smtpimap.email/protonmail.com-smtp-imap-email-settings.html>
o Proton Bridge only for payware users
o <https://protonmail.com/bridge/>

Tutanota: Apparently does not support IMAP or POP3
o <http://smtpimap.email/tutanota.com-smtp-imap-email-settings.html>
o <http://smtpimap.email/iphone/tutanota.com-email-setup.html>
o <https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/6895110-external-imap-pop3-connection>

Yandex:
o <https://emailconfiguration.com/yandex-com>
o <https://yandex.com/support/mail/mail-clients.html>
o <https://www.lifewire.com/yandex-mail-pop3-settings-1170797>
o <http://smtpimap.email/yandex.com-smtp-imap-email-settings.html>
o <http://smtpimap.email/iphone/yandex.com-email-setup.html>
o <https://imapsmtp.email/yandex.ru-smtp-imap-email-settings.html>
o <https://settings.email/yandex-com-tr-email-settings/>
o <https://www.serversettings.email/yandex.com-email-server-settings-imap.php>

Zoho:
o <https://emailconfiguration.com/zoho-com>
o <http://smtpimap.email/zoho.com-smtp-imap-email-settings.html>
o <https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/imap-access.html>
o <https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/zoho-smtp.html>
o <https://emailsettingsguide.com/zoho-imap-and-smtp-settings/>
o <https://brightwhiz.com/zoho-mail-server-settings/>
o <https://www.emailquestions.com/threads/what-are-the-zoho-mail-imap-and-smtp-mail-server-settings.9279/>
o <https://www.hupport.com/zoho-mail-zoho-mail-imap-smtp-configuration-details/>
o <https://www.techtolead.com/pop3-imap-access-configuration-zoho-mail/2171/>
o <https://www.emailquestions.com/threads/what-are-the-incoming-pop3-and-outgoing-smtp-mail-server-settings-for-zoho-mail.3960/>
Old May 22nd 19, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
rbowman

On 05/22/2019 12:49 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> Yandex:
> o Unknown storage limit
> o Requires only first name & surname
> o Informs you in real time whether the username is taken or available
> o Requires a strong password of undetermined characters (at least 8)
> o Asks for telephone number but lets you skip in favor of security question
> o Allows you to write your own custom security question & custom answer
> o Requires a simple Captcha-like typing of screenshot words

Russian collusion! The Russians are coming! Oddly I'm at the point where
I trust the Russians more than our homegrown Stasi. I've been using
Kaspersky on my Windows boxes for a long time. If it's stealing my data
at least it doesn't let other people grab it.
Old May 22nd 19, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 9:25:34 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
> On 05/22/2019 12:49 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> > Yandex:
> > o Unknown storage limit
> > o Requires only first name & surname
> > o Informs you in real time whether the username is taken or available
> > o Requires a strong password of undetermined characters (at least 8)
> > o Asks for telephone number but lets you skip in favor of security question
> > o Allows you to write your own custom security question & custom answer
> > o Requires a simple Captcha-like typing of screenshot words

> Russian collusion! The Russians are coming! Oddly I'm at the point where
> I trust the Russians more than our homegrown Stasi. I've been using
> Kaspersky on my Windows boxes for a long time. If it's stealing my data
> at least it doesn't let other people grab it.

BRAVE browser is suppose to be good. There is an APP.
Old May 23rd 19, 03:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
bitrex

On 5/23/19 9:59 AM, bitrex wrote:

>> I think a lot of the Russian hype is a smokescreen. A lot of the
>> really evil stuff comes from a small middle eastern country Trump
>> seems to love.
>>

> Saudi Arabia? A lot of US presidents have seemed to love them which is
> surprising given just how horrible they are. Not exactly a role-model.

Imagine if after discovering the Japanese government was responsible for
Pearl Harbor instead of lighting them up the US government signed a
crude oil purchase agreement and sold them our latest aircraft <boggle>
Old May 23rd 19, 05:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
Rod Speed[_1_]

"bitrex" > wrote in message
> On 5/23/19 9:59 AM, bitrex wrote:
>
>>> I think a lot of the Russian hype is a smokescreen. A lot of the really
>>> evil stuff comes from a small middle eastern country Trump seems to
>>> love.
>>>

>> Saudi Arabia? A lot of US presidents have seemed to love them which is
>> surprising given just how horrible they are. Not exactly a role-model.
>>

> Imagine if after discovering the Japanese government was responsible for
> Pearl Harbor instead of lighting them up the US government signed a crude
> oil purchase agreement and sold them our latest aircraft <boggle>

Saudi has never done anything even remotely like Pearl Harbor.

Old May 23rd 19, 05:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
bitrex

On 5/23/19 12:03 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

>>> Saudi Arabia? A lot of US presidents have seemed to love them which
>>> is surprising given just how horrible they are. Not exactly a
>>> role-model.
>>>

>> Imagine if after discovering the Japanese government was responsible
>> for Pearl Harbor instead of lighting them up the US government signed
>> a crude oil purchase agreement and sold them our latest aircraft <boggle>

> Saudi has never done anything even remotely like Pearl Harbor.

Oh, honey.
Old May 23rd 19, 05:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
bitrex

On 5/23/19 12:01 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

>>> I think a lot of the Russian hype is a smokescreen. A lot of the
>>> really evil stuff comes from a small middle eastern country Trump
>>> seems to love.

>> Saudi Arabia? A lot of US presidents have seemed to love them

> Not love them so much as realise that they arent as bad as some of the
> others in the middle east.
>
> Same with Jordan.
>
> which is
>> surprising given just how horrible they are.

> Not really.

They only _occasionally_ decapitate and crucify prisoners

Old May 23rd 19, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
Rod Speed[_1_]

"bitrex" > wrote in message

>>> Saudi Arabia? A lot of US presidents have seemed to love them

>> Not love them so much as realise that they arent as bad as some of the
>> others in the middle east.
>>
>> Same with Jordan.
>>
>> which is
>>> surprising given just how horrible they are.

>> Not really.

> They only _occasionally_ decapitate and crucify prisoners

Sure, but the the USA still kills murderers.

Old May 23rd 19, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
bitrex

On 5/23/19 12:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

>>> Not love them so much as realise that they arent as bad as some of
>>> the others in the middle east.
>>>
>>> Same with Jordan.
>>>
>>> which is
>>>
>>> Not really.

>> They only _occasionally_ decapitate and crucify prisoners

> Sure, but the the USA still kills murderers.

If a Soviet-style "and you are still lynching Negroes" is the rebuttal
you're going to roll with I think we're done here, lol.