How many active players in iRacing now?

Old April 7th 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

Default How many active players in iRacing now?

>>> Open forums would at least make me feel like I'm not hibernating
>>> from the real world outside.

> I think you are fooling yourself that people "not involved in any way shape of form, should somehow have a voice?

Out of all the reasons people are not iRenters, the private forum would
be the bottom of that list.

> elitist

The only elitist part of iRacing is the rental fee. No talent required,
just drive safely and regardless of how pathetically slow you are, they'll
advance you to the next class. Like any sim-oriented racing game, about 10%
of the players are competive, and the rest are just there for fun runs,
sort of the equivalent of filler backmarkers at real races.

If there's any point to this thread, it's that iRacing over-estimated
the number of subscribers. How that affect the service in the long run,
and/or affects the release of a boxed game, remains to be seen. They've
already lowered prices and now offer hosted racing, a drastic change
from what appears to be the original plan.

Old April 7th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

I feel it is crazy that you think Saturday night at any F'ing race track is
different, plenty of back markers and wannabe's, driving ****, plenty of
rich dumbasses out there as well... plenty of people spending money faster
than they're gaining skillz, racing above their head.

I'm just thinking it models life well, sure, it is not the "nascar levels"
for everyone, but I'm not trying to keep up with million dollar teams
either, as I would be in real life... I race with people at my skill level,
and love it... some of you might say I'm good some wont, who gives a ****?
really? I'm having my $9.00 per month worth of fun, 3 or four nights a
week, **** I cant even enjoy that many hours worth of moves for that, even
if you watch old **** on Showtime it is 15 bucks a month, add to that beer
and cheezits, lol, iRacing, it is still ****ing cheap. Hell, go race a
"rental go-cart" track stuff, how much you think that is? it was 20 bucks
for F'ing 10 minutes. We have a generation of people that think anything
that is 'good' is going to be free? I don't get that attitude, nor can I
figure out where you guys got it, I mean ****, Cadillacs cost more than
Chevys and more than beetles (the old ones). Nicer houses cost more than
**** trap houses, go figure. where did you ever see it the other way
around?

Old April 7th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

> iRacing, it is still cheap.

Not compared to other racing games. Making an anlogy between iRacing
with other hobbies would be like claiming that some customized corolla
that cost $100,000 is cheap compared to an airplane. Even it it's the
best corolla ever made, most wouldn't want to spend $100,000 on it.

Sorry for the iRanting here, was just curious as to how iRacing was
going, and like many players hoping for a boxed version someday.

Old April 7th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

So iRacing should pay for all this ongoing conversion? And why stop at
Spanish - what about all the other languages?

My attitude on this is simple. If they (countries with different
languages) want to keep their own languages (and not have English as a
compulsory subject in their schools) then they can do the work for all that.

Screw 'em!

As an iRacing customer I'd be unhappy to see my money be spent on that
crap!

This was talked about at length on the iRacing forum and it is clear
that people can do this stuff themselves anyway. All they need is at leadt
one person in their group that speaks English so that ant anomilies can be
tidied up.

Again, not my, or the English speaking world's, problem!

Old April 7th 10, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"rcgldr" > wrote in message
>> iRacing, it is still cheap.

> Not compared to other racing games. Making an anlogy between iRacing
> with other hobbies would be like claiming that some customized corolla
> that cost $100,000 is cheap compared to an airplane. Even it it's the
> best corolla ever made, most wouldn't want to spend $100,000 on it.

A simple case of getting what you pay for.

iRacing is not perfect but it's a lot closer to being so than any other
offering.

Old April 7th 10, 09:39 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

> Don't they now have the NASCAR license?

EA got the license after NR2003. Then NR2003 was pulled from
the shelves of retail stores, but is/was still being sold from
online stores, which didn't quite make sense.

EA lost the exclusive license starting 2010. No one has an exclusive
license now, it's shared between EA (Days of Thunder), Sony PS3
(Grand Turismo 5), and iRacing, which has a Nascar based series.

Old April 7th 10, 09:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

> EA lost the exclusive license starting 2010. No one has an exclusive
> license now, it's shared between EA (Days of Thunder), Sony PS3
> (Grand Turismo 5), and iRacing, which has a Nascar based series.

Days of Thunder is to be an XBOX game, different than the EA game with
a similar name.

Old April 7th 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_3_]

You are F'ing kidding me right?

you don't think there are fair comparisons, I think there is when you are
realistic about it. the problem is I believe you or they have unrealistic
expectations, on all counts, be it iRacing vs real life, or modded corolla
vs airplane.

that is your personal preference kicking the corolla harder, I say
personally your right, and wrong...
If someone expects me to pay 100,000 for a plane that I cant drive door to
door from my house to work, to me the plane is worthless... now it might
become more "less worthless" as it can save me time or money, say my job
took me from NY to Florida everyday, then there would be a fair comparison.

I'm just tired of each post about iRacing is about elitism, or it "aint free
yet", when in reality it is just that they hate it and try to say they are
being fair about how they come to that conclusion, it is delusional.