Long live usenet

Old December 12th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

Default Long live usenet

From RSC's page:

"Back Soon (with any luck)

Our server host replaced a forum server hard disk without making a
backup beforehand. We hope this isn't going to be a serious problem,
but stay tuned!"

Ouch. There still are upsides to USENET. Can anyone provide me with
details how to get in touch with rF Santa who did the BT52 mod? I need
to contact him about a skinset for his wonderful Brabham mod.

All the best & TIA,

Hoover
Old December 21st 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

Uwe > wrote in
:

> From RSC's page:
>
> "Back Soon (with any luck)
>
> Our server host replaced a forum server hard disk without making a
> backup beforehand. We hope this isn't going to be a serious problem,
> but stay tuned!"
>
> Ouch. There still are upsides to USENET. Can anyone provide me with
> details how to get in touch with rF Santa who did the BT52 mod? I need
> to contact him about a skinset for his wonderful Brabham mod.
>
> All the best & TIA,

Nice to know their IT department is up on all the details on how to run
and maintain a computer system - *not*.

Old December 21st 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DavErb[_2_]

APLer wrote:
> Uwe > wrote in
> :
>
>> From RSC's page:
>>
>> "Back Soon (with any luck)
>>
>> Our server host replaced a forum server hard disk without making a
>> backup beforehand. We hope this isn't going to be a serious problem,
>> but stay tuned!"
>>
>> Ouch. There still are upsides to USENET. Can anyone provide me with
>> details how to get in touch with rF Santa who did the BT52 mod? I need
>> to contact him about a skinset for his wonderful Brabham mod.
>>
>> All the best & TIA,
>>

> Nice to know their IT department is up on all the details on how to run
> and maintain a computer system - *not*.

So is RSC gone completly? All I get for the last few days is a 404. They
looked like they might be getting into tight financial circumstances.
Don't visit there much but it was nice to know it was there

DavErb
Old December 21st 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
chuckcar

DavErb > wrote in
:

> APLer wrote:
>> Uwe > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> From RSC's page:
>>>
>>> "Back Soon (with any luck)
>>>
>>> Our server host replaced a forum server hard disk without making a
>>> backup beforehand. We hope this isn't going to be a serious problem,
>>> but stay tuned!"
>>>
>>> Ouch. There still are upsides to USENET. Can anyone provide me with
>>> details how to get in touch with rF Santa who did the BT52 mod? I
>>> need to contact him about a skinset for his wonderful Brabham mod.
>>>
>>> All the best & TIA,
>>>

>> Nice to know their IT department is up on all the details on how to
>> run and maintain a computer system - *not*.
>>

> So is RSC gone completly? All I get for the last few days is a 404.
> They looked like they might be getting into tight financial
> circumstances. Don't visit there much but it was nice to know it was
> there

From a simple google search:

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/

Date and time log of how far they are from being up. A corrupted backup is
the latest news. No secondary backup apparently.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old December 21st 09, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

>> Our server host replaced a forum server hard disk without making a
>> backup beforehand. We hope this isn't going to be a serious problem,
>> but stay tuned!

Shouldn't servers like this be using raid 6 controllers that allow
drives to be hot swapped? The controllers are about $500 (USA), and
Sata hard drives are cheap.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lers,1199.html

Old December 22nd 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"rcgldr" > wrote in :

>>> Our server host replaced a forum server hard disk without making a
>>> backup beforehand. We hope this isn't going to be a serious problem,
>>> but stay tuned!

> Shouldn't servers like this be using raid 6 controllers that allow
> drives to be hot swapped? The controllers are about $500 (USA), and
> Sata hard drives are cheap.

And slow. Hard drives die, people get taxed after their death, your chosen
hourse never finishes first. That's life. It's done for free in effect. Do
*you* have a computer that you never use for yourself? he does. Not
trolling you understand, but explaining what may not appear obvious,

Old December 23rd 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Cronos

APLer wrote:

>Not trolling you understand, but explaining what may not appear obvious,

Not trolling? That's a first.
Old December 23rd 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

Cronos > wrote in
:

> APLer wrote:
>
>>Not trolling you understand, but explaining what may not appear
>>obvious,

> Not trolling? That's a first.

For *you* perhaps.

Hmm. 3 posts here this month and none in the previous 2 years. You have
a lot to base your opinions on don't you?

My posts here go back to August 2008.
Old December 23rd 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

>> Shouldn't servers like this be using raid 6 controllers that allow
>> drives to be hot swapped? The controllers are about $500 (USA), and
>> Sata hard drives are cheap.
>>

> And slow. Hard drives die, people get taxed after their death, your chosen
> hourse never finishes first. That's life. It's done for free in effect. Do
> *you* have a computer that you never use for yourself? he does. Not
> trolling you understand, but explaining what may not appear obvious,

I had assumed they were using one of those $30 / month dedicated server
web hosts, not providing their own server. I mis-understood their issue.

Old December 23rd 09, 09:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Cronos

APLer wrote:

> My posts here go back to August 2008.

Mine go back to 1993, under various names of course.