Analogies, trains and FIRST-Racing...

Old March 5th 05, 02:39 PM
Tony Rickard

Default Analogies, trains and FIRST-Racing...

My train analogy for FIRST Racing:

Back in 1990 a company made its first passenger train. It was the best
passenger train ever made and defined the design of trains for the future.
The engineers and designers were heralded as innovators.

A competitor surpassed it in 92 as new techniques and better tools were
available. Undaunted our heroes redefined the genre again in 93 and followed
it with their first goods train in 94. The goods train was bigger and
heavier than the passenger versions and even though many preferred passenger
trains the new technology in the new goods trains made many drivers make the
switch and whilst they waited for the new technology to be incorporated in
the passenger trains. This duly arrived a year later. Goods trains slowly
improved but the real innovation was the new passenger train of 98 which
again represented a major leap forward. Again the engineers and designers
were viewed as heroes.

Having created the greatest passenger train the company concentrated on
their goods trains. Other companies launched new passenger trains but
despite some successes the 98 passenger train was still regarded as the best
by many of the drivers. Whilst the goods trains have a large following many
drivers waited patiently for the next passenger train from the best
designers.

Years passed and it never arrived. The 98 trains were continually updated by
their owners such that it looked up to date, but it lacked the technology
being incorporated into the goods trains.

As more years passed greater modifications were made to the 98 train by the
customers to improve the technology rather than just the aesthetics.
Furthermore goods trains were being converted to passenger trains in an
effort to incorporate the new technology into passenger trains. Remarkably
the manufacturers made no updates to passenger trains, leaving the customer
base to modify the old trains and convert the goods trains as best they
could.

Fortunately for the manufacturers the continual improvements made by the
customers kept them as a household name, despite their lack of involvement
with passenger trains, such that when the company split up the key designers
were able to form a new company credible to the passenger train market.

The customers continue to modify and convert the old trains but are waiting
expectantly for the new generation passenger trains to fill the 7 year void.
At which point the old stock will finally head for the sheds.

Old March 5th 05, 02:59 PM
MrMox

Wake me up when its over. The sleeper car looks inviting.

Old March 5th 05, 03:40 PM
Tony Rickard

"MrMox" wrote:

> Wake me up when its over. The sleeper car looks inviting.

LOL. The sleeper car mod - I could use that in my next epistle. Then again
maybe not

Old March 6th 05, 12:55 AM
Malc

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
.uk...
> My train analogy for FIRST Racing:
>
> The customers continue to modify and convert the old trains but are

waiting
> expectantly for the new generation passenger trains to fill the 7 year

void.
> At which point the old stock will finally head for the sheds.

Nothing wrong with what you wrote but you appear to miss the point. Money
makes a company work, good PR is a nice thing to have, but it won't put
bread on the table for long if people don't keep buying new trains. Why buy
a second, new train if you can get a free second train by just modifying the
original train?

Don't forget a real train can only be changed, if you change it the original
train is gone unless you change it back. You still only have one train. Mod
a sim & you have the mod, plus the original sim is still there if you are
interested in it.

For example on my HD I have at least 5 mods for F12K2 plus the original sim
but I only paid for one CD.

Malc.

Old March 12th 05, 08:23 PM
Chris Bradley

Hey Tony
Where's your anorak, thermos & note book for the train numbers
Stick to GPL - BTW I'm still being thrashed at Combe by my son.
Chris

Old March 12th 05, 08:50 PM
Tony Rickard

"Chris Bradley" wrote:

> Hey Tony
> Where's your anorak, thermos & note book for the train numbers
> Stick to GPL - BTW I'm still being thrashed at Combe by my son.
> Chris

I just wanted to prove how nonsensical the analogies being used were. I
think I may have gone overboard this time even by my standards

Though in my (admittedly rather weak) defence I may have been indoctrinated
by my youngest playing Starlight Express repeatedly...

Kaemmer and I should clearly do our talking on the track and leave the
analogies to others.

BTW, Chris - have you tried the 65 mod yet?

Cheers
Tony

Old March 19th 05, 03:05 AM
Steve Smith

All you intellectual property buffs might wanna head on over to Catwoman:
Copycat, he

http://www.bluetights.net/copycat/

These guys are not merely ripping off somebody else's whole shtick, they're
bragging about it. Talk abt. hacking the executable....

Old March 19th 05, 04:12 AM
Dave Henrie

"Steve Smith" > wrote in
news
> These guys are not merely ripping off somebody else's whole shtick,
> they're bragging about it. Talk abt. hacking the executable....

I only remember that Papyrus was ENCOURAGING mod groups when the 1.201
patch was released. THey were almost begging for modders to help stave off
EA's juggernaut. Now I know FIRST is NOT PAPYRUS legally, but they are
close enough in my mind that it feels like FIRST is going back on Papyrus'
promise.

dave henrie

Old March 19th 05, 10:37 AM
Malc

"Steve Smith" > wrote in message
news
> All you intellectual property buffs might wanna head on over to Catwoman:
> Copycat, he
>
> http://www.bluetights.net/copycat/
>
> These guys are not merely ripping off somebody else's whole shtick,

they're
> bragging about it. Talk abt. hacking the executable....

Well I guess congratulations are in order Steve, you managed to find an
analogy even worse than Tonys.

Malc.

Old March 19th 05, 10:38 AM
Tony Rickard

"Malc" wrote:

> > The customers continue to modify and convert the old trains but
> > are waiting expectantly for the new generation passenger trains
> > to fill the 7 year void.
> > At which point the old stock will finally head for the sheds.

> Nothing wrong with what you wrote

Well even I was bored when I got to read it

> but you appear to miss the point. Money
> makes a company work, good PR is a nice thing to have, but it won't put
> bread on the table for long if people don't keep buying new trains. Why
> buy a second, new train if you can get a free second train by just
> modifying the original train?

If there are new and better ones to buy they will be bought.

People don't spend money changing cars just because they are getting worn
out but because they believe the newer ones are better.

The loyalty and good PR bit just comes for free by an interest being
maintained in their products by the modders. Probably doesn't make much
difference to sales but is still a nice to have in case decent competitive
products came on the market.

Cheers
Tony