need hardware advice..

Old September 8th 05, 05:33 AM
Don \Gunner\ Hancock

Goy Larsen wrote:
> Shrapnel wrote:
>
>>I once put a hard disc from a P3-800Mhz into a Twin P4 Xeon with
>>different... Well... Everything.
>>
>>XP just plugged and played and did not ask for re-activation.
>>
>>tbh, I was not aware such a feature was in XP at all, and being in the
>>industry I might have heard.

> Like Andi said, it's there, my guess is that you're using a "volume
> license" and those doesn't require activation at all for very good
> reasons, but it's there in the OEM, Retail and Upgrade packages
>

> Beers and cheers
> (uncle) Goy
>
> "When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
> they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."
>
> --Our Lord John Cleese--

Actually it's NOT in the "retail" versions. The OEM versions allow
(supposedly) 6 "hardware changes." Now, these are typically sound card,
video card, hard drive, etc. changes, but can be anything that doesn't
checksum the same as it was when XP was installed. The Retail versions
(full and upgrade) don't have this limitation. Microsoft was ensuring
that their OEM's wouldn't install the same copy of XP on different
machines - since XP WILL activate more than once (I think 3 is the limit
before you have to phone MS).

Gunner
Old September 8th 05, 07:32 AM
Dave Henrie

"Don \"Gunner\" Hancock" > wrote in
:

> Actually it's NOT in the "retail" versions. The OEM versions allow
> (supposedly) 6 "hardware changes." Now, these are typically sound card,
> video card, hard drive, etc. changes, but can be anything that doesn't
> checksum the same as it was when XP was installed. The Retail versions
> (full and upgrade) don't have this limitation. Microsoft was ensuring
> that their OEM's wouldn't install the same copy of XP on different
> machines - since XP WILL activate more than once (I think 3 is the limit
> before you have to phone MS).
>
> Gunner

Well my retail install bitched when I replaced the motherboard and cpu.
I had to call up some hindu and explain that the harddrive was still there,
the ram was the same but the cpu, mb and ...oh yeah...the new video card
were the only changes. Got a new number. I'm leaning towards a ram
increase soon. Probably have to do it all over again.

dave henrie
Old September 8th 05, 02:55 PM
Goy Larsen

Don \"Gunner\" Hancock wrote:

> Actually it's NOT in the "retail" versions. <snip>

Hmm, I could have sworn it was in the retail versions as well, but since
I deal with OEM versions 99% of the time and seem to be developing an
"Alzheimer's Light" I'm not going to insist on it

Beers and cheers
(uncle) Goy

"The Pits" http://www.theuspits.com/

Old September 14th 05, 05:55 PM
PlowBoy

LOL no you wont... heheheh

Old September 14th 05, 05:57 PM
PlowBoy

If the 40 euros stops ya, I like my 6600gt enough. similiar speeds as my
older ti4600 ill admit, but with more turned on, and dx8&9, so it is not all
bad. If Id had the 400 bucks I would love to have bought the 6800gt, but my
god man, my motherboard-ram-cpu was only about 450...

Praxiteles Democritus enlightened us with:

Old September 15th 05, 08:10 PM
Larry

I just upgraded to 2GB. I really just wanted to get faster modules (showing
a 1000MB/Sec memory performance increase between the consumer-grade PNY I
had, and the Crucial Ballistix's I installed) so I decided to go from 1GB to
2GB in the process.

I can tell the difference, but it's not earth-shattering.

-Larry

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
> LOL no you wont... heheheh
>
>> I'm leaning towards a ram increase soon. Probably have to do it all
>> over again.
>>
>> dave henrie

'nother hardware question N8N Technology 0 July 10th 05 03:07 PM
REQ: Help and or advice brake lines - speficically front to rear line.... [email protected] Jeep 2 March 15th 05 03:19 PM
advice on plymouth horizon Dodge 0 February 10th 05 03:12 AM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM