New owner - past lurker - a couple of questions

Old June 3rd 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default New owner - past lurker - a couple of questions

"M. Cantera" > wrote in message
> It supposed to reach terminal velocity when the rpm hit the redline in
> sixth gear and the rev limiter cuts in.
>
> On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:43:34 -0400, "Steve Clark" >
> wrote:
>
>>To the best of my knowledge, there is no speed limiter. It's drag-limited
>>(wind-resistance).

Had a Nissan Altima messing with us on the interstate yesterday. I had
the cruise set at 80. He'd pass and slow up, pass and slow up.

Mine seems to have some kind of limiter at 130 or else it's limited by
wind resistance at exactly 130. The speed would slowly fluctuate between 130
and 128.

But, it will do 130 quite smartly. With the top down and a redhead in
the passengers seat with her feet up on the dash. (That's my wife).

No, I never saw the Altima again.

And for the self proclaimed newsgroup cops, yada, yada, yada.

Jim

Old June 3rd 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >, "George Jetson" > wrote:

> Had a Nissan Altima messing with us on the interstate yesterday. I had
>the cruise set at 80. He'd pass and slow up, pass and slow up.
>
> Mine seems to have some kind of limiter at 130 or else it's limited by
>wind resistance at exactly 130. The speed would slowly fluctuate between 130
>and 128.

I'm a little confused as to the conneciton between the two
paragraphs above. Did you just get tired of playing dueling
cruise controls and floor it to 130 mph??
Old June 3rd 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Dave" > wrote in message
> In article >, "George Jetson"
> > wrote:
>
>> Had a Nissan Altima messing with us on the interstate yesterday. I had
>>the cruise set at 80. He'd pass and slow up, pass and slow up.
>>
>> Mine seems to have some kind of limiter at 130 or else it's limited by
>>wind resistance at exactly 130. The speed would slowly fluctuate between
>>130
>>and 128.

> I'm a little confused as to the conneciton between the two
> paragraphs above. Did you just get tired of playing dueling
> cruise controls and floor it to 130 mph??

I'm always confused.

Not dueling cruise controls. He'd pull in front and then slow down a lot,
like to 65.

At my wife's suggestion, I downshifted to 5th gear and ran it up to
redline and then shifted to 6th.

Jim

Old June 3rd 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"George Jetson" > wrote in message

> Mine seems to have some kind of limiter at 130 or else it's limited by
> wind resistance at exactly 130. The speed would slowly fluctuate between
> 130 and 128.

Actually, it's based on tach, not speed. If you did that in a different
gear, you'd find that it is limited at a different speed that also
corresponds to ca. 7700 rpm in that gear (I recall that's where it was set
in my '91 and '01, don't know if it still is in the newer model).

When you're tooling along at 130, be extremely careful not to downshift--5th
to 4th, for example, when you mean to go 5th to 6th. While the rev limiter
prevents the engine from taking itself into dangerous rpm territory, there's
nothing to prevent the car from pulling the engine to redline and beyond
through injudicious shifting at high speed. Even if you don't let the
clutch out, I've heard that downshifting to too low a gear at a high speed
can be very bad for the transmission as well.

Eric Lucas

Old June 4th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"George Jetson" > wrote:

> At my wife's suggestion, I downshifted to 5th gear and ran it up to
> redline and then shifted to 6th.

I always do what my wife tells me, too. They're always right...and can't
complain afterward if they're not.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis