How long will my battery last?

Old November 23rd 04, 02:53 PM
Scott Streeter

Default How long will my battery last?

I have a 2000 with the original battery still (4 1/2 years). I drive
my car all year long so it's not sitting at all. Just wondering if I
should be pro-active and change it now so I can avoid getting stuck
becaues this would be the time period it would go considering the age
and heading into winter...

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old November 23rd 04, 03:15 PM
Chief_Wiggum

*shrug* I have a 97 with the original battery, and it starts up just fine!

I've never in my life had a car with a factory battery last more than 2 yrs.
These things are AMAZING!

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Old November 23rd 04, 03:33 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-11-23, Scott Streeter > wrote:

> I have a 2000 with the original battery still (4 1/2 years). I
> drive my car all year long so it's not sitting at all. Just
> wondering if I should be pro-active and change it now so I can
> avoid getting stuck becaues this would be the time period it
> would go considering the age and heading into winter...

It's not like it's going to fail suddenly without notice (at
least my car batteries never have). Pay attention on cold
mornings. If you notice it's starting to crank slower every
week, then get a new one.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are we on STRIKE yet?
at
Old November 23rd 04, 03:42 PM
KWS

I believe my first one crapped out after about five years. I changed the
second one out at about that time as my daughter was taking the car to
school and I didn't want this to be a problem. Third one is a Wesco and it's
been fine; first two were Panasonics. Amazing life for a battery!

Ken

Old November 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
Rod

I replaced the original battery in my '91 B a year ago. I bought the car
new in Sept. '91. Hmmm....
12 years and 2 months on the original battery!!!!!! I too had
considered a pro-active change, as recommended by Miata magazine, but never
having had any problems with it, I left it in there. Glad I did.

I've heard there are still some '90s out there running around with the
original battery. Mine was getting awfully slow turning over the starter
that last winter before I changed it, and I had put a 500 mah trickle
charger on it a few times overnite. I probably could have gotten another
winter out of it with the charger, but did not want to bother with that
again.

Mine was the Panasonic AGM battery. If yours is an AGM, I would say to
leave it as long as it will turn your starter over. -Rod

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Old November 23rd 04, 06:45 PM
Scott Streeter

Grant Edwards > writes:
> On 2004-11-23, Scott Streeter > wrote:
>
> > I have a 2000 with the original battery still (4 1/2 years). I
> > drive my car all year long so it's not sitting at all. Just
> > wondering if I should be pro-active and change it now so I can
> > avoid getting stuck becaues this would be the time period it
> > would go considering the age and heading into winter...

> It's not like it's going to fail suddenly without notice (at
> least my car batteries never have). Pay attention on cold
> mornings. If you notice it's starting to crank slower every
> week, then get a new one.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are we on STRIKE yet?
> at
> visi.com

I've had batteries work on the ride to work and then just be dead to
go home so it has happened suddenly. From what others have said here
though I don't think I'm going to worry about it. Thanks all.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old November 23rd 04, 07:08 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-11-23, Scott Streeter > wrote:

>> It's not like it's going to fail suddenly without notice (at
>> least my car batteries never have). Pay attention on cold
>> mornings. If you notice it's starting to crank slower every
>> week, then get a new one.

> I've had batteries work on the ride to work and then just be dead to
> go home so it has happened suddenly. From what others have said here
> though I don't think I'm going to worry about it. Thanks all.

Sudden failures are possible if something just plain
mechanically breaks. In my experience "wearing out" is usually
a pretty gradual process.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Thank god!!... It's
at HENNY YOUNGMAN!!
Old November 23rd 04, 07:20 PM
Scott Streeter

Grant Edwards > writes:

> On 2004-11-23, Scott Streeter > wrote:
>
> >> It's not like it's going to fail suddenly without notice (at
> >> least my car batteries never have). Pay attention on cold
> >> mornings. If you notice it's starting to crank slower every
> >> week, then get a new one.

> > I've had batteries work on the ride to work and then just be dead to
> > go home so it has happened suddenly. From what others have said here
> > though I don't think I'm going to worry about it. Thanks all.

> Sudden failures are possible if something just plain
> mechanically breaks. In my experience "wearing out" is usually
> a pretty gradual process.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards grante Yow! Thank god!!... It's
> at HENNY YOUNGMAN!!
> visi.com

Well I have had batties "suddenly die". Just becaues it's never
happened to you doesn't mean it never happens.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old November 23rd 04, 09:21 PM
Larry Hill

>Well I have had batties "suddenly die". Just becaues it's never
>happened to you doesn't mean it never happens.

ME TOO! Larry HIll
Old November 24th 04, 01:36 AM
Chief_Wiggum

"Scott Streeter" > wrote in message
> Grant Edwards > writes:

> > > I've had batteries work on the ride to work and then just be dead to
> > > go home so it has happened suddenly. From what others have said here
> > > though I don't think I'm going to worry about it. Thanks all.

> > Sudden failures are possible if something just plain
> > mechanically breaks. In my experience "wearing out" is usually
> > a pretty gradual process.
> >
> > --
> > Grant Edwards grante Yow! Thank god!!...

It's
> > at HENNY YOUNGMAN!!
> > visi.com

> Well I have had batties "suddenly die". Just becaues it's never
> happened to you doesn't mean it never happens.
>
> --
> Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

No doubt. I've had batteries die suddenly as well, BUT they were usually
traditional lead / acid batteries. If a cell (or 2) runs dry, or low, or
the battery gets a good jar, the plates can break / arc. The Panasonic is
an AGM battery, and I *believe* they are much more robust / predictable.

Using my jetskis as an example... I have an Odyssey AGM battery that I bough
in 1996 when the ski was new... Still works GREAT to this day. In contrast,
I cheaped out on my other ski, and I get about 2 seasons out of the lead
acid batteries. *shrug*

How long Do AutoZone Batteries last? [email protected] VW air cooled 5 November 22nd 04 09:25 PM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 06:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM