sermons and full-flow

Old February 24th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Chris Miller

Default sermons and full-flow

do let us know when the sermons are back online for download/purchase.
regarding full-flow oil filters...can anyone explain to me how this is set
up on an air-cooled vw? pictures, explaining it to me like i'm 5 years old,
etc. would all help.
-c

Old February 24th 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Chris Miller wrote:
> do let us know when the sermons are back online for download/purchase.
> regarding full-flow oil filters...can anyone explain to me how this is set
> up on an air-cooled vw? pictures, explaining it to me like i'm 5 years old,
> etc. would all help.
> -c

Here's a good page with pictures:

http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html

In short: You re-route oil flow from the pump into a modern car oil
filter, and then run a return line back into the main oil galley, via a
threaded hole you make yourself. To prevent any oil from trying to go
the old route, you plug the original oil pump outlet and take the oil
out through a special pump cover instead.

Everything else works the same. You just steal the oil out of the engine
to filter it remotely, and then return it.

Jan
Old February 24th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson wrote:
> Chris Miller wrote:
>> do let us know when the sermons are back online for download/purchase.
>> regarding full-flow oil filters...can anyone explain to me how this is
>> set up on an air-cooled vw? pictures, explaining it to me like i'm 5
>> years old, etc. would all help.
>> -c

> Here's a good page with pictures:
>
> http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html
>

> In short: You re-route oil flow from the pump into a modern car oil
> filter, and then run a return line back into the main oil galley, via a
> threaded hole you make yourself. To prevent any oil from trying to go
> the old route, you plug the original oil pump outlet and take the oil
> out through a special pump cover instead.
>
> Everything else works the same. You just steal the oil out of the engine
> to filter it remotely, and then return it.
>
> Jan

This page shows fittings that you would use with barbed hose fittings,
with very much like your garden hose type connectors with hose clamps
securing the hose. While it works reasonably well if you use good hoses
and VERY good quality clamps, I would recommend threaded fittings all
the way. You can buy the ff hose and filter kit ready made with threaded
fittings and compressed hose joints that won't leak or come undone
Old February 24th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson wrote:
> Chris Miller wrote:
>> do let us know when the sermons are back online for download/purchase.
>> regarding full-flow oil filters...can anyone explain to me how this is
>> set up on an air-cooled vw? pictures, explaining it to me like i'm 5
>> years old, etc. would all help.
>> -c

> Here's a good page with pictures:
>
> http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html
>

> In short: You re-route oil flow from the pump into a modern car oil
> filter, and then run a return line back into the main oil galley, via a
> threaded hole you make yourself. To prevent any oil from trying to go
> the old route, you plug the original oil pump outlet and take the oil
> out through a special pump cover instead.
>
> Everything else works the same. You just steal the oil out of the engine
> to filter it remotely, and then return it.
>
> Jan

Picture of Gene Berg full flow kit with the good hoses

http://www.aircooled.fi/shop/product...238_Normal.JPG
Old February 24th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 07:37:44 +0100, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

> Chris Miller wrote:
>> do let us know when the sermons are back online for download/purchase.
>> regarding full-flow oil filters...can anyone explain to me how this is
>> set up on an air-cooled vw? pictures, explaining it to me like i'm 5
>> years old, etc. would all help.
>> -c

> Here's a good page with pictures:
>
> http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html
>

> In short: You re-route oil flow from the pump into a modern car oil
> filter, and then run a return line back into the main oil galley, via a
> threaded hole you make yourself. To prevent any oil from trying to go
> the old route, you plug the original oil pump outlet and take the oil
> out through a special pump cover instead.
>
> Everything else works the same. You just steal the oil out of the engine
> to filter it remotely, and then return it.
>
> Jan

Jake Raby has made a new pumpcover with better flow than the others. He
has also come up with an intermediate plate out og toolsteel which
prevents wear on the cover.

J.

Old February 25th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

On Feb 24, 6:17*am, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
> Jan Andersson wrote:
> > Chris Miller wrote:
> >> do let us know when the sermons are back online for download/purchase.
> >> regarding full-flow oil filters...can anyone explain to me how this is
> >> set up on an air-cooled vw? pictures, explaining it to me like i'm 5
> >> years old, etc. would all help.
> >> -c

> > Here's a good page with pictures:

> >http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html

> > In short: You re-route oil flow from the pump into a modern car oil
> > filter, and then run a return line back into the main oil galley, via a
> > threaded hole you make yourself. To prevent any oil from trying to go
> > the old route, you plug the original oil pump outlet and take the oil
> > out through a special pump cover instead.

> > Everything else works the same. You just steal the oil out of the engine
> > to filter it remotely, and then return it.

> > Jan

> Picture of *Gene Berg full flow kit with the good hoses
>
> http://www.aircooled.fi/shop/product...238_Normal.JPG

I've used pushlok fittings and hoses. Those you can cut yourself and
push them on by hand. No special tools or clamps. You can also
disconnect them just like AN fittings.

Anton
Old February 26th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"anton" > wrote in message
>I've used pushlok fittings and hoses. Those you can cut yourself and
>push them on by hand. No special tools or clamps. You can also
>disconnect them just like AN fittings.

i used the pushloc fittings once too... i put clamps on those fittings after
a hose blew off... the hoses are real close to my header and the heat must
have made the hose soft.... i thought the hoses with no clamps was too good
to be true...turns out, it was...

Old February 26th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

On Feb 25, 4:48 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "anton" > wrote in message

> >I've used pushlok fittings and hoses. Those you can cut yourself and

> >push them on by hand. No special tools or clamps. You can also
> >disconnect them just like AN fittings.

> i used the pushloc fittings once too... i put clamps on those fittings after
> a hose blew off... the hoses are real close to my header and the heat must
> have made the hose soft.... i thought the hoses with no clamps was too good
> to be true...turns out, it was...

i guess it was really close then, cause mine have been fine so far,
they do run under heater box and the the header.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/...128fac59e8.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/...a2d0a5167f.jpg

I had to replace straight ends with 90 degrees to make lines shorter
and there was no way I could get hose off the barb end. Had to cut it
off.

Anton
Old February 27th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"anton" > wrote in message
> On Feb 25, 4:48 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>> "anton" > wrote in message

>> >I've used pushlok fittings and hoses. Those you can cut yourself and

>> >push them on by hand. No special tools or clamps. You can also
>> >disconnect them just like AN fittings.

>> i used the pushloc fittings once too... i put clamps on those fittings
>> after
>> a hose blew off... the hoses are real close to my header and the heat
>> must
>> have made the hose soft.... i thought the hoses with no clamps was too
>> good
>> to be true...turns out, it was...

> i guess it was really close then, cause mine have been fine so far,
> they do run under heater box and the the header.
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/...128fac59e8.jpg
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/...a2d0a5167f.jpg
>
> I had to replace straight ends with 90 degrees to make lines shorter
> and there was no way I could get hose off the barb end. Had to cut it
> off.

same route mine took and mine were no closer to the headers...you do have
the heat sheilding sleeves on yours, i did not... as i said, and it's just a
guess, it was probably the heat that made the hose soft and it blew off....i
was lucky it was in the driveway and not on the highway...could have been
engine damage at speed...sure did make a mess and alot of smoke...(i too,
had to shorten a hose after installing it and couldn't pull it loose...just
a friendly "heads up"...clamps are cheap....)

Old February 27th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "anton" > wrote in message

>>> i used the pushloc fittings once too... i put clamps on those fittings
>>> after
>>> a hose blew off... the hoses are real close to my header and the heat
>>> must
>>> have made the hose soft.... i thought the hoses with no clamps was too
>>> good
>>> to be true...turns out, it was...

>> i guess it was really close then, cause mine have been fine so far,
>> they do run under heater box and the the header.
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/...128fac59e8.jpg
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/...a2d0a5167f.jpg
>>
>> I had to replace straight ends with 90 degrees to make lines shorter
>> and there was no way I could get hose off the barb end. Had to cut it
>> off.
>>

> same route mine took and mine were no closer to the headers...you do have
> the heat sheilding sleeves on yours, i did not... as i said, and it's just a
> guess, it was probably the heat that made the hose soft and it blew off....i
> was lucky it was in the driveway and not on the highway...could have been
> engine damage at speed...sure did make a mess and alot of smoke...(i too,
> had to shorten a hose after installing it and couldn't pull it loose...just
> a friendly "heads up"...clamps are cheap....)

Pressed, threaded fittings. Find a hydraulic equipment store and ask
them if they know who would make these for you to your lenght.
Or buy a ready made kit for a VW.

hoseclamps are unreliable, many clamps are crappy quality wise, and
loosen up or do not squeeze the hose all the way around.

I do have double clamped "hose clamp" type fittings on my car though..
just a temporary solution before I could find/afford real hoses.

Jan