An Uncanny Coincidence?

Old December 12th 04, 07:05 PM
NoName

Default An Uncanny Coincidence?

Just recently had some repair work done on a 2000 Chrysler T&C minivan - 70K
miles
The oil pick-up tube was clogged with "debris", the shop guy hesitated to
say WHAT it was.
I have changed the oil every 3000 miles up to 50K miles and since then, I
have let it go to 4,000 miles maybe twice, and 4,500 once, using Castrol GTX
and always changing the oil filter.

After getting the vehicle back, my wife drove through some standing water
about five blocks from our house and immediately lost power steering
capability and the temperature gauge was overheated when she pulled into the
driveway.
Well, of course the serpentine belt came off the pulleys.

Can anyone tell me WHY and HOW such debris build up could happen, and does
the serpentine belt need to be removed/loosened to remove the oil pan and
reinstall it?

Thanks for any info.

Old December 12th 04, 07:49 PM
maxpower

I would guess this is the 3.3 engine, and no the belt does not have to be
removed to have the pan removed, pull on the tensioner and make sure it
springs back, if not replace it, also check for proper alignment

Old December 12th 04, 07:49 PM
maxpower

Old December 12th 04, 08:09 PM
peter denyer

I don't think any repair work had anything to do with the serpentine
belt coming off - I think, based on my own experience, that any
appreciable amount of water that gets splashed up into the engine
compartment can cause the belt to come off - had it happen to my 1995
T&C under the same circumstance as you mention. Hit a large area of
standing water in the dark during a particularly heavy rainstorm and off
came the belt - glad to have been only a few blocks from home!

Service manager at the local Chrysler dealer said that "well, thats a
known problem if you get too much snow up into the engine compartment
and there is a retro kit that supposed to protect the idler pulley (?)
from getting snow/ water over it and prevent the belt from throwing
off". Don't know if he was shining me on - 'cause I asked him to get
this kit, but nothing ever happened.

Peter

Old December 12th 04, 08:09 PM
peter denyer

Old December 12th 04, 08:54 PM
maxpower

NO: 07-02-94
SUBJECT: Serpentine Drive Belt Comes Off Pulleys
DATE: Dec. 23, 1994

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.3L OR 3.8L ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
If the vehicle is driven through deep or drifted snow the serpentine drive
belt may be forced off of its pulleys by snow coming in between the belt and
the pulleys.

DIAGNOSIS:
Determine the road conditions the driver of the vehicle was encountering at
the time the serpentine belt came off. Verify all of the pulleys are in
proper alignment and pulleys and accessories are properly attached. If the
driver of the vehicle indicates deep or drifted snow may have been a factor
in the serpentine belt coming off its pulleys and any pulley mis-alignment
and/or accessory/pulley attachment problem has been corrected, perform the
following repair procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Quantity
Part No.
Description

1

4773892
Shield

1

6501926
Nut/Washer

AR

4612411
Belt, Serpentine 1991 - 1992 With A/C

AR

4612460
Belt, Serpentine 1993 - 1995 With A/C

AR

4612418
Belt, Serpentine 1991 - 1995 Without A/C

Old December 12th 04, 08:54 PM
maxpower

Old December 12th 04, 11:31 PM
frank-in-toronto

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:05:38 GMT, "NoName" > wrote:

>Just recently had some repair work done on a 2000 Chrysler T&C minivan - 70K
>miles
>The oil pick-up tube was clogged with "debris", the shop guy hesitated to
>say WHAT it was.
>I have changed the oil every 3000 miles up to 50K miles and since then, I
>have let it go to 4,000 miles maybe twice, and 4,500 once, using Castrol GTX
>and always changing the oil filter.
>
>After getting the vehicle back, my wife drove through some standing water
>about five blocks from our house and immediately lost power steering
>capability and the temperature gauge was overheated when she pulled into the
>driveway.
>Well, of course the serpentine belt came off the pulleys.

think back. every time you get work done there, does
something else break or fail right away? happened to me
at a local midas. i stopped going even tho i have free
lifetime oil changes cause every time i went, i would
have a surpentine belt problem. i think he was squirting
some oil onto it. on purpose.
....thehick
Old December 12th 04, 11:31 PM
frank-in-toronto

Old December 12th 04, 11:38 PM
ytertwr

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:31:33 -0500, frank-in-toronto
> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:05:38 GMT, "NoName" > wrote:
>
>>Just recently had some repair work done on a 2000 Chrysler T&C minivan - 70K
>>miles
>>The oil pick-up tube was clogged with "debris", the shop guy hesitated to
>>say WHAT it was.
>>I have changed the oil every 3000 miles up to 50K miles and since then, I
>>have let it go to 4,000 miles maybe twice, and 4,500 once, using Castrol GTX
>>and always changing the oil filter.
>>
>>After getting the vehicle back, my wife drove through some standing water
>>about five blocks from our house and immediately lost power steering
>>capability and the temperature gauge was overheated when she pulled into the
>>driveway.
>>Well, of course the serpentine belt came off the pulleys.

>think back. every time you get work done there, does
>something else break or fail right away? happened to me
>at a local midas. i stopped going even tho i have free
>lifetime oil changes cause every time i went, i would
>have a surpentine belt problem. i think he was squirting
>some oil onto it. on purpose.
>...thehick

I'm really tired of the "up-sell" every time I go to one of these car
places.

Seems like Jiffy lube is really in the air filter business and Midas
is really in the fan belt business. None of 'em will just do what
you came in for and send you on your way. The worst, by far, in my
experience is Firestone who tell you about your brakes when you came
in to see about the air conditioner. Firestone? Never again.