engine oil supplement? is it good to use?

Old January 31st 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default engine oil supplement? is it good to use?

hello everyone, todays question is "what do u think about using engine oil
treatments like red line, royal purple, lucas, is it good to use in motors
with 200k+ miles."? the reason i ask is because my 93 xj has that many miles
and i'm changing my oil from 5w-30 synthetic to 10w-30 synthetic and was
thinking about adding the stuff. my buddy told me that lucas was great stuff
to use because i have a loud ticking noise at start up in the morning or when
my xj has been sitting for a long time but when it warms up it goes away.
need some info please and thanks again if it wasn't for this site and the
help from you people out there my jeep would be sitting and getting rusty.

Old January 31st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You are not going to cure "a loud ticking noise at start up in the morning"
with chemicals. Maybe if it is caused by too light a weight oil, then
putting the proper weight oil in the vehicle will do it. Maybe not.
Usually when it gets around to "a loud ticking noise at start up in the
morning" that is a sign of mechanical damage or advanced wear.

Instead of wasting your money on synthetic oil and snake oil additives, you
would be better off putting your pennies in a savings account, to prepare
for the eventuality of engine repairs.

Earle

Old January 31st 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Earle Horton wrote:
>You are not going to cure "a loud ticking noise at start up in the morning"
>with chemicals. Maybe if it is caused by too light a weight oil, then
>putting the proper weight oil in the vehicle will do it. Maybe not.
>Usually when it gets around to "a loud ticking noise at start up in the
>morning" that is a sign of mechanical damage or advanced wear.
>
>Instead of wasting your money on synthetic oil and snake oil additives, you
>would be better off putting your pennies in a savings account, to prepare
>for the eventuality of engine repairs.
>
>Earle
>
>> hello everyone, todays question is "what do u think about using engine oil
>> treatments like red line, royal purple, lucas, is it good to use in motors

>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>> need some info please and thanks again if it wasn't for this site and the
>> help from you people out there my jeep would be sitting and getting rusty.

thanks earle for the info my buddy just told me that 2 min ago

Old February 1st 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

There is no "snake oil" that's going to cure an aging motor with over 200K
miles. I would put regular 30W oil in and drive it, and feel lucky that it
has lasted that long.

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift
Warn X8000i

Old February 1st 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

JimG wrote:
> There is no "snake oil" that's going to cure an aging motor with over 200K
> miles. I would put regular 30W oil in and drive it, and feel lucky that it
> has lasted that long.

If economics force you to keep a heap going heavy oil can help for a
while, but eventually running it like that costs more because otherwise
parts you could reuse will be trashed. With most American pushrod
engines, it's cheaper just to summarily trash everything but the block,
head, crank and rods and so this is less a concern, but if you are
running a collector engine coming apart sooner instead of later is
always cheaper.

Old February 1st 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:47:30 GMT, "jeepney driver via CarKB.com"
<u17884@uwe> wrote:

>hello everyone, todays question is "what do u think about using engine oil
>treatments like red line, royal purple, lucas, is it good to use in motors
>with 200k+ miles."? the reason i ask is because my 93 xj has that many miles
>and i'm changing my oil from 5w-30 synthetic to 10w-30 synthetic and was
>thinking about adding the stuff. my buddy told me that lucas was great stuff
>to use because i have a loud ticking noise at start up in the morning or when
>my xj has been sitting for a long time but when it warms up it goes away.
>need some info please and thanks again if it wasn't for this site and the
>help from you people out there my jeep would be sitting and getting rusty.

Be sure that it isn't just an exhaust leak at the manifold or
doughnut. They often do just that.

Dan