Heating Oil in TDI?

Old April 3rd 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
D&LBusch

Default Heating Oil in TDI?

Hi everyone,

Can I use #2 heating oil in my 04 TDI Passat? If so, are there any adverse
issues to deal with?

Thanks.

David

Old April 3rd 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SnoBrdr

"D&LBusch" > wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>Can I use #2 heating oil in my 04 TDI Passat? If so, are there any adverse
>issues to deal with?
>
>Thanks.
>
>David

You shouldn't.

No lube qualities in it for starters.
Old April 3rd 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

#2 heating oil is #2 diesel fuel without road tax paid. The only down
side is that if the authorities catch you, it is (technically) a $10K
fine.

If you are really worried about lubricity, then add some. There are
several good formulas out there.
Old April 4th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Apr 3, 3:42*pm, SnoBrdr > wrote:
> "D&LBusch" > wrote:
> >Hi everyone,

> >Can I use #2 heating oil in my 04 TDI Passat? *If so, are there any adverse
> >issues to deal with?

> >Thanks.

> >David

> You shouldn't.
>
> No lube qualities in it for starters.

Actually, quite the opposite. #2 heating oil, even #1 (Kerosene) is
typically higher in paraffin components (larger fractions and waxes)
than diesel fuel. This increases lubricity in actual practice.
However, such niceties as moisture content, solids (small particles of
carbon) and other contaminants are less stringent for heating oil.

So, #2 diesel is pretty much uniform, low paraffin cetane and smaller
fractions all indexed to Cetane in terms of ignition characteristics.
It starts to gel at ~10F, "winterized" diesel taking this to about
0F.

Home heating oil (#2 fuel oil) will gel near the freezing mark due to
the typically high paraffin content amongst other things.

Diesel fuel is now limited as to sulphur content to 0.05%. Home
heating oil is not, being from 0.5 - 1.5% (sometimes greater) sulphur
depending on location. Sulphur will destroy the catalysts in some
diesel engines as well as wreck the emissions controls. And add to
this the likely need to change the fuel filter every 100 gallons or so
- no kidding.

It ain't nohow lubricity but other characteristics that make burning
home heating oil in a modern diesel a bad idea. Additives will not
make it any better.

Consider the cost of the various taxes - maybe as much as $1/gallon.
Figure the cost of a new exhaust system and/or injection system and/or
both, not to mention the down-time.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old April 16th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

I don't agree with everything here. , I wouldn't do it on the new VW diesels
with the exhaust systems that will fail. And they will. But the new diesel
fuel is being sold contaminated beyond limits anyways. But heating oil will
run just fine on the older ones without the low sulphur catalytic
converters. The sulphur and lubrication , and contaminants doesn't matter.
That's what your fuel filter is for. It is Heating oil without road tax and
a useless amount of sulphur removed to appease the EPA. . And kero will
work too for a while.

Heating up too much YouGoFirst Jeep 29 July 25th 05 02:41 PM
Over heating 4.0L dcollivier Jeep 10 May 5th 05 03:00 PM
over heating longshanks Mazda 1 February 10th 05 02:02 AM
heating jex VW air cooled 7 January 5th 05 09:09 PM
heating help! jex VW air cooled 2 January 4th 05 04:51 PM