long block or short block?

Old May 16th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gump87

Default long block or short block?

hey guys i just bought a 2003 350z with auto trans and was looking into
doing a racing engine build. i heard sgp racing was good so i was
looking over there but they had long block and short block packages.
i'm new to this so bare with me, ne clue on which is the one that
matches my engine like i said i am new to this.

--
gump87
gump87's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=513802

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old May 17th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
DaddyMonkey

We will bear with you (somewhat) lol
long blocks have cylinder heads, short blocks do not...

You might want to look into some books first... Amazon.com might have
something for the "nissan street racer".

Good Luck,
Dave

Old May 17th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
James Drinkwater

Hmm. Not sure if there's more to what you mean when you say, "which one
fits my engine". Long block vs. short block is the engine but in two stages
of completion. If what you have is in good repair, I'd say to build it up
with performance externals (heads, intake, exhaust, cam, ignition, etc.).
If you want to start with a new/different engine, then give 'em a call and
tell 'em what you'd like to do and they can hook you up. Now, for
long/short block decision.
With the short block, you'll get your own cylinder heads. If the long
block (same as short block) has the cylinder heads you want (the only
difference) then get that and skip potential headaches of mismatched
components.
A competition engine is the deciding factor. If you build your own, do
the math and you'll probably get a faster/stronger engine. Get the math
wrong and you might pay a price in durability, longevity or performance
drawbacks.
Good luck,
Drink

Old May 18th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

gump87 wrote:

> hey guys i just bought a 2003 350z with auto trans and was looking into
> doing a racing engine build. i heard sgp racing was good so i was
> looking over there but they had long block and short block packages.
> i'm new to this so bare with me, ne clue on which is the one that
> matches my engine like i said i am new to this.

Friend, you need to do a LOT of learnin' before you start wasting lots
of money. "Long block" refers to a replacement engine complete with
cylinder heads, valve train, etc. A "short block" is just the engine
block with crankshaft, connecting rods, bearings, and pistons installed,
waiting for you to bolt on YOUR cylinder heads with timing system and
valve train.

Either will require you to install all your accessories (wiring
harnesses, alternator, starter, PS pump, belts, air conditioning, and in
some cases oil pan, valve covers, and other "tinwork") when you put it
into the car.

short block source peter Mazda 0 December 7th 06 03:34 PM
rebuild vs. long block JuneauBug VW air cooled 4 August 24th 06 04:27 AM
WTB 2.0 T4 long block [email protected] VW air cooled 0 July 10th 06 10:05 PM
Cost of a 1.6L long block BillBetts Mazda 7 January 21st 06 04:37 PM
Short block for a 92 16V Passat GL? Edvardo VW water cooled 3 July 30th 05 04:40 PM