Wal-Mart Auto Tire Scam

Old March 22nd 16, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

Default Wal-Mart Auto Tire Scam

On 2016-03-18, Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> Roger Blake > wrote:
>>On 2016-03-17, Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>>> _Everything_ at Wal-Mart is like this. They specialize in cheapened-down
>>> versions of legitimate products.

>>Other big-box stores do the same thing. That "John Deere" garden tractor
>>at Home Depot or Lowes is a "value-engineered" product actually built by
>>another company under license. (Usually MTD.) Likewise with things like
>>name-brand water heaters etc. at those stores. They are special cost-cut
>>versions that you'll be hard-pressed to get parts and service for later.

> Oh, absolutely. After all, they have to compete with Wal-Mart!

Except the big stores have been doing this for longer than walmart has
been around. It's just more obvious now because the level of cost
reduction has to be all that more severe.

Old March 22nd 16, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 8:41:35 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
> Except the big stores have been doing this for longer than walmart has
> been around. It's just more obvious now because the level of cost
> reduction has to be all that more severe.

Good point, most big stores have had a "store brand" for a long time. Sometimes just as good quality as national brands, sometimes not.

I was a little skeptical of even the Firestones I got, since I was getting them put on at a Firestone shop (we have one here that actually seems to be decent). But they seem to be fine so far. We'll see how the hold up after another 20,000 miles.
Old March 22nd 16, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Jc Maxwell wrote:
> On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 8:41:35 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>> Except the big stores have been doing this for longer than walmart
>> has been around. It's just more obvious now because the level of
>> cost reduction has to be all that more severe.

> Good point, most big stores have had a "store brand" for a long time.
> Sometimes just as good quality as national brands, sometimes not.
>
> I was a little skeptical of even the Firestones I got, since I was
> getting them put on at a Firestone shop (we have one here that
> actually seems to be decent). But they seem to be fine so far.
> We'll see how the hold up after another 20,000 miles.

Only tires I've ever had a real issue with have been made by Cooper
tire. I've run Hercules which were low profile for the stated size
(195-75/14 that looked like a 195-60/14). Remington's which wore out in
about 15,000 miles for a tire that was supposed to go 40,000. Had a set
of Coopers that had tread de-lamination in under 20K.

--
Steve W.
Old March 22nd 16, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
>>>Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 09:31:24 -0700 (PDT), Jc Maxwell
> wrote:

>On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 8:41:35 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>> Except the big stores have been doing this for longer than walmart has
>> been around. It's just more obvious now because the level of cost
>> reduction has to be all that more severe.

>Good point, most big stores have had a "store brand" for a long time. Sometimes just as good quality as national brands, sometimes not.
>
>I was a little skeptical of even the Firestones I got, since I was getting them put on at a Firestone shop (we have one here that actually seems to be decent). But they seem to be fine so far. We'll see how the hold up after another 20,000 miles.

I've had so many problems with firestones I would never buy them...
NEVER. Going all the way back to their original Radial 721's and
500's. Then had them on my 92 Explorer. Had some on a used car, when
I got rid of the firestones it was like a whole different car in how
it handled. The shop put a set on my work car and they felt like
every tire had multiple flat spots. We had some E-load rated ones on
a Van and with only 5000 miles on them they started blowing out.
Old March 22nd 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
>>>Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 14:33:23 -0700 (PDT), Jc Maxwell
> wrote:

>Can't say I'm terribly surprised to read this about cheap tires sold at Wally World.
>
>I had a similar feeling about Primewell, which apparently is a cheap Chinese brand made for Firestone shops. Maybe Primewells aren't as bad as Vivas, who knows.
>
>I almost bought a set of four Primewells due to the attractive price, but then had a sudden onset of good sense.
>
>Instead, I bought a set of four Firestone Affinity Tourings. They were a little less than what I paid for four Michelins at Costco almost 6 years ago. I doubt any Firestone tire is quite as good as a Michelin, but they seem OK so far. They're certainly a massive upgrade from those Primewells.

I've bought two sets of Hanouk (might have misspelled it) low budget
tires from Discount and both sets were great for the time I've had
them. I had/have them on cars that don't get driven much so can't say
for the long term but they handle decently and seem to be round and
don't make any funny noises. The last set I got for $50 each out the
door with various incentives.
Old March 23rd 16, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

>>>Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
>I've bought two sets of Hanouk (might have misspelled it) low budget
>tires from Discount and both sets were great for the time I've had
>them. I had/have them on cars that don't get driven much so can't say
>for the long term but they handle decently and seem to be round and
>don't make any funny noises. The last set I got for $50 each out the
>door with various incentives.

Hankook is a large well-known Korean tire manufacturer that has been making
tires since the fifties. Think of them as the Goodyear of Korea.

They make a wide range of tires from cheap stuff to high end stuff, but
they are in a totally different league from companies that just rebadge junk
and companies that specialize in selling cheapened-down versions of
conventional products.
--scott

Old March 23rd 16, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 8:16:36 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> >I've bought two sets of Hanouk (might have misspelled it) low budget
> >tires from Discount and both sets were great for the time I've had
> >them. I had/have them on cars that don't get driven much so can't say
> >for the long term but they handle decently and seem to be round and
> >don't make any funny noises. The last set I got for $50 each out the
> >door with various incentives.

> Hankook is a large well-known Korean tire manufacturer that has been making
> tires since the fifties. Think of them as the Goodyear of Korea.
>
> They make a wide range of tires from cheap stuff to high end stuff, but
> they are in a totally different league from companies that just rebadge junk
> and companies that specialize in selling cheapened-down versions of
> conventional products.
> --scott

Hankook tires are what I bought about six years ago for my 1983 Dodge van. They seem to be doing real good.
Old July 4th 17, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Wal-Mart battery Scam

There was a man about79 to 82 year's old in a wheelchair that brought a battery at Wal-Mart in hugo Oklahoma and none of the codes match and the manger told this man to call this woman name misti and he did, and these to people would disappear from the store at the time he was told to call so he went to the other store in Texas and he got the corporate phone number and he called them and to this day he has not heard anything back from them and so him and his wife went back Wal-Mart in hugo Oklahoma and, the manager tried to tell them two old people they changed the bar code stickers on the battery and accused these old people of fraud.
But this time he got his money back and he told them people at Wal-Mart that he not know what kind of scam they are running, and he told them he wouldn't ever be back to shop in there store again..

Now these are not the only people they are doing this to..
Theirs another person that brought that same battery and they are doing the same thing to him and he went to the other Wal-Mart to get the corporate phone number and he called them and they told this man that they don't believe one of their store is doing this to people same as the other man , and now this man is out$114.84 for a 5 year battery that he can't use but he has stop them from doing this to other people for awhile or at least until Wal-Mart get another battery to continue their secret scamming on on people ....

But the worst thing is that, they are getting away with it ..
Old July 5th 17, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
> wrote:
>There was a man about79 to 82 year's old in a wheelchair that brought a bat=
>tery at Wal-Mart in hugo Oklahoma and none of the codes match and the mange=
>r told this man to call this woman name misti and he did, and these to peop=
>le would disappear from the store at the time he was told to call so he wen=
>t to the other store in Texas and he got the corporate phone number and he =
>called them and to this day he has not heard anything back from them and so=
> him and his wife went back Wal-Mart in hugo Oklahoma and, the manager trie=
>d to tell them two old people they changed the bar code stickers on the bat=
>tery and accused these old people of fraud.

Okay, I don't understand any of this. What does "none of the codes match?"
mean? Is this some guy who bought a battery from Wal-Mart that doesn't fit
his car and now can't get a refund?

>But this time he got his money back and he told them people at Wal-Mart th=
>at he not know what kind of scam they are running, and he told them he woul=
>dn't ever be back to shop in there store again..

This is Wal-Mart, it's not a high end battery wholesaler. They don't care
about customer service. They sell special batteries that are designed to be
as cheap as possible and look like standard commercial batteries but aren't.

>Theirs another person that brought that same battery and they are doing the=
> same thing to him and he went to the other Wal-Mart to get the corporate p=
>hone number and he called them and they told this man that they don't belie=
>ve one of their store is doing this to people same as the other man , and n=
>ow this man is out$114.84 for a 5 year battery that he can't use but he ha=
>s stop them from doing this to other people for awhile or at least until Wa=
>l-Mart get another battery to continue their secret scamming on on people .=
>..
>
>But the worst thing is that, they are getting away with it ..

I'm sorry, I don't understand what the scam here is.
--scott
Old July 5th 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on 5 Jul 2017 09:05:54 -0400, (Scott
Dorsey) wrote:

>>But this time he got his money back and he told them people at Wal-Mart th=
>>at he not know what kind of scam they are running, and he told them he woul=
>>dn't ever be back to shop in there store again..

>This is Wal-Mart, it's not a high end battery wholesaler. They don't care
>about customer service. They sell special batteries that are designed to be
>as cheap as possible and look like standard commercial batteries but aren't.

Another interesting thing.

I noticed a while back that a roll of Gorilla Tape was 50 cents cheaper
at Home Depot than at Walmart.

But today i was looking for Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid+4.** I
found few listings for it, but one was in West Chester Pa., not far from
me, for 7 dollars a quart. Walmart had a 3rd party vendor whose location
I could not determine for $12.17 a quart. !!

So my point is that like other stores that emphasize price, once they
convince people that they are cheaper than other places, they don't have
to be cheaper anymore, and sometimes are much more expensive.

Mopar® Part # at
Quadratic: 68218057AA at 7.00
Walmart: .68218057AB, at 12.17 so the B must cost $5.17!!
Amazon: 5013457AA at 11.64
OEM Part Number 05013457AA
Item model number 68218057AA
Manufacturer Part # 68218057AA so it's the same thing too.

I wonder what a Chrysler dealer would charge.

Neither Mopar ad at Quatdratic or Walmart says it's synthetic, like
Pennzoil and Castrol say on the bottle, though Amazon lets you enlarge
the picture of the bottle and see that it does say synthetic.

**Separate question: Is this any better for a Chrysler than Pennzoil or
Castrol, the only two brands other than house brands that I can walk in
and buy at the 3 stores just down the street from me?

Somehow I have the feeling that Castrol isn't really a top-notch brand,
but I can't remember why I think that.