Car repair newsgroup

Old June 23rd 20, 06:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder[_5_]

Default Car repair newsgroup

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 21:30:56 -0000 (UTC), Boris wrote:

> There are auto repair newsgroups, but I've never found them to be of any
> help.

Regarding this question today asking for "car repair" newsgroups on:
o <http://tinyurl.com/windowsxp-general>
o <http://microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.narkive.com>

Titled:
o Car repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/n8SsuPlri2o>
"I did a google search, but did not find a car repair newsgroup.
Surely, there is one?
I know newsgroups are added all the time,
but a listing of all groups would be nice too.
thanks, Andy"

The alt.home.repair ng also covers DIY auto repairs; but the trolls took over.
o <http://tinyurl.com/alt-home-repair>
o <http://alt.home.repair.narkive.com>

Here's a recent thread, by way of example, on a.h.r for auto DIY questions:
o Inspection and oil change
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/sChKzO3h5rg>

And another recent automotive (and home engine) related question:
o Pure gas vs E85
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/lEAIPQT6pXs>

But bear in mind, a.h.r. is almost unreadable due to the massive trolling.
o Far better, IMHO, is a.h.r, where the trolls haven't infested it yet.

The best, IMHO, is:
o <http://tinyurl.com/rec-autos-tech>
o <http://rec.autos.tech.narkive.com>

For example...

o Questions about mounting & balancing new LT tires on new steel rims at home (match mounting marks, red dots, yellow dots, & spacers)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/J5-7TxdDpBw>

o Ideas for a home alignment caster/camber wheel jig to lock to 14inch to 20 inch wheel rims
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/FemVU8OSrFw>

o Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/yjR2ClAaarw>

o What 3D CAD freeware might work well for this simple DXF style drawing?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/afboX5_96bQ>

o Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that just wouldn't seal after the final bead?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/n4bqsqo6ObY>

o How would you run a lateral acceleration test in a vehicle on twisty roads at no more than 40mph?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/x7pwhNCqlCo>

o Does the macadem road surface have a great effect on tire wear?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/SPr6zNEDYDs>

o Clare - are smaller car tires easier to balance than SUV tires?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/HyTVDmT1pfs>

o Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years - saving over $400
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/ameCXs0Smdw>

o Two simple questions that came up when mounting tires at home
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/kuQg2H5jbs8>

o What tools do I need? (P0420 Bank 1 catalytic inefficiency on a 15 year old dual-cat vehicle)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/KfwOR5pb3t4>

o Why can't people figure out warp versus runout versus disc thickness variation
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/F-ptM5J_huQ>
--
Every post to the Usenet public archives should help people find stuff.
Old June 23rd 20, 06:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder[_5_]

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 05:27:25 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> But bear in mind, a.h.r. is almost unreadable due to the massive trolling.
> o Far better, IMHO, is a.h.r, where the trolls haven't infested it yet.

Correction:

It's alt.home.repair that is utterly unreadable due to massive trolling.
o <http://tinyurl.com/alt-home-repair>

The rec.autos.tech is still reasonably free of the troll infestation.
o <http://tinyurl.com/rec.autos.tech>
--
Every thread to Usenet should help others, now, and in the future.
Old June 23rd 20, 07:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Xeno

On 23/6/20 3:33 pm, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 05:27:25 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:
>
>> But bear in mind, a.h.r. is almost unreadable due to the massive trolling.
>> o Far better, IMHO, is a.h.r, where the trolls haven't infested it yet.

> Correction:
>
> It's alt.home.repair that is utterly unreadable due to massive trolling.
> o <http://tinyurl.com/alt-home-repair>
>
> The rec.autos.tech is still reasonably free of the troll infestation.
> o <http://tinyurl.com/rec.autos.tech>

But, as is the case with much of usenet, rather sparse on *any* discussion.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old June 23rd 20, 01:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Frank

On 6/23/2020 2:42 AM, Xeno wrote:
> On 23/6/20 3:33 pm, Arlen Holder wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 05:27:25 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:
>>
>>> But bear in mind, a.h.r. is almost unreadable due to the massive
>>> trolling.
>>> o Far better, IMHO, is a.h.r, where the trolls haven't infested it yet.

>> Correction:
>>
>> It's alt.home.repair that is utterly unreadable due to massive trolling.
>> o <http://tinyurl.com/alt-home-repair>
>>
>> The rec.autos.tech is still reasonably free of the troll infestation.
>> o <http://tinyurl.com/rec.autos.tech>
>>

> But, as is the case with much of usenet, rather sparse on *any* discussion.

As a Subaru owner I go to alt.autos.subaru which is troll free. It is
true that usenet has gone downhill on rational discussions.