OK to eliminate the PCV valve?

Old June 8th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default OK to eliminate the PCV valve?

I am not a mechanic, but this is in regards to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with
a 6 cylinder engine that has 138,000 miles on it, is still in very good
condition, and has always had Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

It is my contention that the PCV valve, on an engine this old, is likely to
decrease the engine life due to the fact that it is introducing contaminants
into the intake and cumbustion chamber.

In order to make my car last longer, I am thinking of permanently removing
the PCV valve and replacing it with a homemade filter, but leaving the hose
that the PCV valve is connected to unplugged all the time and hanging in the
air with the homemade filter attached. In other words, I will unplug the PCV
valve and throw it away, leave the hose hanging in the air, and where the
PCV valve had formerly been attached to the hose there will be a filter
(primarily to prevent bugs and dust from entering the engine).

Where the PCV valve had formerly been plugged into the valve cover, I will
place a homemade filter in the hole on the valve cover. This will allow to
crankcase to ventilate, but there will be no longer be any sucking action. I
remember as a child seeing "oil breather caps" on valve covers. I don't see
any reason why this technique shouldn't work on a modern engine.

However, not being a mechanic, I would rather have some qualified guidance
from this newsgroup prior to pursuing this idea any further than the thought
stage. I have already plugged my EGR valve port to prevent it from
introducing contaminants into the engine and the engine seems to be idling
smoother, so why not do the same with the PCV valve?

Old June 8th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default No.

j wrote:
> I am not a mechanic, but this is in regards to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with
> a 6 cylinder engine that has 138,000 miles on it, is still in very good
> condition, and has always had Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
>
> It is my contention that the PCV valve, on an engine this old, is likely to
> decrease the engine life due to the fact that it is introducing contaminants
> into the intake and cumbustion chamber.
>
> In order to make my car last longer, I am thinking of permanently removing
> the PCV valve and replacing it with a homemade filter, but leaving the hose
> that the PCV valve is connected to unplugged all the time and hanging in the
> air with the homemade filter attached. In other words, I will unplug the PCV
> valve and throw it away, leave the hose hanging in the air, and where the
> PCV valve had formerly been attached to the hose there will be a filter
> (primarily to prevent bugs and dust from entering the engine).
>
> Where the PCV valve had formerly been plugged into the valve cover, I will
> place a homemade filter in the hole on the valve cover. This will allow to
> crankcase to ventilate, but there will be no longer be any sucking action. I
> remember as a child seeing "oil breather caps" on valve covers. I don't see
> any reason why this technique shouldn't work on a modern engine.
>
> However, not being a mechanic, I would rather have some qualified guidance
> from this newsgroup prior to pursuing this idea any further than the thought
> stage. I have already plugged my EGR valve port to prevent it from
> introducing contaminants into the engine and the engine seems to be idling
> smoother, so why not do the same with the PCV valve?

Yeah! That'll work *GREAT*!!!! (wink)

Just let those blowby gases and combustion byproducts build up in the
crankcase, perhaps when enough pressure is developed, it will vent
through your "breather" and you will never even have to worry about the
corrosive gases that don't naturally vent. The PCV system was only
designed and put on your engine to prevent that buildup of blowby gases
and to flush HARD EARNED MONEY out of your pockets when you have to
maintain it every few tens of thousands of miles.

PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation

Your PCV valve is a controlled vacuum source that is pulling fresh,
filtered air through your engine, thereby removing combustion byproducts
and corrosive blowby gases, greatly EXTENDING your engine life. Removal
of the PCV system will cause your engine oil to become contaminated and
acidic rapidly, causing the formation of sludge and allowing the acidic
oil to attack your bearing surfaces.

Your engine will last damn near forever once it is nicely sludged up,
worn out prematurely and comfortably resting in the scrap yard.
Old June 9th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"j" > wrote in message
. com...
> I am not a mechanic, but this is in regards to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica

with
> a 6 cylinder engine that has 138,000 miles on it, is still in very good
> condition, and has always had Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
>
> It is my contention that the PCV valve, on an engine this old, is likely

> decrease the engine life due to the fact that it is introducing

contaminants
> into the intake and cumbustion chamber.
>
> In order to make my car last longer, I am thinking of permanently removing
> the PCV valve and replacing it with a homemade filter, but leaving the

hose
> that the PCV valve is connected to unplugged all the time and hanging in

the
> air with the homemade filter attached. In other words, I will unplug the

PCV
> valve and throw it away, leave the hose hanging in the air, and where the
> PCV valve had formerly been attached to the hose there will be a filter
> (primarily to prevent bugs and dust from entering the engine).
>
> Where the PCV valve had formerly been plugged into the valve cover, I will
> place a homemade filter in the hole on the valve cover. This will allow to
> crankcase to ventilate, but there will be no longer be any sucking action.

> remember as a child seeing "oil breather caps" on valve covers. I don't

see
> any reason why this technique shouldn't work on a modern engine.
>
> However, not being a mechanic, I would rather have some qualified guidance
> from this newsgroup prior to pursuing this idea any further than the

thought
> stage. I have already plugged my EGR valve port to prevent it from
> introducing contaminants into the engine and the engine seems to be idling
> smoother, so why not do the same with the PCV valve?

Bad idea. You need the pcv to pull fresh air through the crankcase to remove
the harmful vapors. Older models had a down draft tube that acted like a
venturi to suck the vapors out of the engine. Your engine is actually
designed and calibrated to depend on those recirculated vapors back into the
intake. What you are planning will ruin the engine.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old June 9th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

j wrote:
> I am not a mechanic, but this is in regards to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with
> a 6 cylinder engine that has 138,000 miles on it, is still in very good
> condition, and has always had Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

It is clear from the rest of this post that you are not a mechanic.

> It is my contention that the PCV valve, on an engine this old, is likely to
> decrease the engine life due to the fact that it is introducing contaminants
> into the intake and cumbustion chamber.

And on from which automotive expert are you getting this information.

> In order to make my car last longer, I am thinking of permanently removing
> the PCV valve and replacing it with a homemade filter, but leaving the hose
> that the PCV valve is connected to unplugged all the time and hanging in the
> air with the homemade filter attached. In other words, I will unplug the PCV
> valve and throw it away, leave the hose hanging in the air, and where the
> PCV valve had formerly been attached to the hose there will be a filter
> (primarily to prevent bugs and dust from entering the engine).
>
> Where the PCV valve had formerly been plugged into the valve cover, I will
> place a homemade filter in the hole on the valve cover. This will allow to
> crankcase to ventilate, but there will be no longer be any sucking action. I
> remember as a child seeing "oil breather caps" on valve covers. I don't see
> any reason why this technique shouldn't work on a modern engine.
>
> However, not being a mechanic, I would rather have some qualified guidance
> from this newsgroup prior to pursuing this idea any further than the thought
> stage. I have already plugged my EGR valve port to prevent it from
> introducing contaminants into the engine and the engine seems to be idling
> smoother, so why not do the same with the PCV valve?

The guidance is...NO!

Old June 9th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Err... Are you aware that the PCV valve (when properly functioning)
prevents backfiring from igniting crankcase fumes?

Not to mention that your whole logic on this is equally flawed. If
you're really concerned, simply run the PCV hose to the air filter
housing, and connect it via a filter like most older american V8
engines used. That way you retain the positive benefits of the PCV
valve, and filter out any of the airborne contaminants you are so
concerned about.

Read paragraph 6 he
http://autorepair.about.com/od/maint...maintain_2.htm

See second last item he
http://www.ramairbox.com/accessories.html

Old June 10th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Raymond J. Henry wrote:
> Err... Are you aware that the PCV valve (when properly functioning)
> prevents backfiring from igniting crankcase fumes?

A friend of mine failed emissions and "fixed" it by pulling out the PCV
valve and hose to lean the mixture, and he plugged the PCV hole with a
spark plug. His car passed, but when he later removed the valve covers
to fix a leaky gasket, the valve train and inside of the cover were
coated with very soft tar.

Old June 13th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:00:04 GMT, "j" > wrote:

>I am not a mechanic, but this is in regards to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with
>a 6 cylinder engine that has 138,000 miles on it, is still in very good
>condition, and has always had Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
>
>It is my contention that the PCV valve, on an engine this old, is likely to
>decrease the engine life due to the fact that it is introducing contaminants
>into the intake and cumbustion chamber.
>
>In order to make my car last longer, I am thinking of permanently removing
>the PCV valve and replacing it with a homemade filter, but leaving the hose
>that the PCV valve is connected to unplugged all the time and hanging in the
>air with the homemade filter attached. In other words, I will unplug the PCV
>valve and throw it away, leave the hose hanging in the air, and where the
>PCV valve had formerly been attached to the hose there will be a filter
>(primarily to prevent bugs and dust from entering the engine).
>
>Where the PCV valve had formerly been plugged into the valve cover, I will
>place a homemade filter in the hole on the valve cover. This will allow to
>crankcase to ventilate, but there will be no longer be any sucking action. I
>remember as a child seeing "oil breather caps" on valve covers. I don't see
>any reason why this technique shouldn't work on a modern engine.
>
>However, not being a mechanic, I would rather have some qualified guidance
>from this newsgroup prior to pursuing this idea any further than the thought
>stage. I have already plugged my EGR valve port to prevent it from
>introducing contaminants into the engine and the engine seems to be idling
>smoother, so why not do the same with the PCV valve?

Aside from all the correct replies posted about the PCV valve...you
also need to fix your EGR system. The EGR valve is supposed to be
closed at idle...if your car idles better with it disconnected, it's
because your EGR was sticking open. You should replace it and clean
out the passages. Without an EGR, combustion temperatures are higher,
causing your engine to knock and ping under load, and eventually
you'll burn up your pistons.
Old June 13th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

j wrote:

> I am not a mechanic, but this is in regards to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with
> a 6 cylinder engine that has 138,000 miles on it, is still in very good
> condition, and has always had Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
>
> It is my contention that the PCV valve, on an engine this old, is likely to
> decrease the engine life due to the fact that it is introducing contaminants
> into the intake and cumbustion chamber.

Most of the gasses that accumulate in your crankcase are blowby and
originated in your intake manifold or combustion chambers. They will do
minimal harm putting them back in there (unless the blow-by is pretty
serious, in which case the engine is shot already).

--
Paul Hovnanian
If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators
Old June 26th 20, 11:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, June 8, 2006 at 8:36:55 PM UTC-4, John S. wrote:
> j wrote:
> > I am not a mechanic, but this is in regards to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with
> > a 6 cylinder engine that has 138,000 miles on it, is still in very good
> > condition, and has always had Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

> It is clear from the rest of this post that you are not a mechanic.
>

> > It is my contention that the PCV valve, on an engine this old, is likely to
> > decrease the engine life due to the fact that it is introducing contaminants
> > into the intake and cumbustion chamber.

> And on from which automotive expert are you getting this information.
>

> > In order to make my car last longer, I am thinking of permanently removing
> > the PCV valve and replacing it with a homemade filter, but leaving the hose
> > that the PCV valve is connected to unplugged all the time and hanging in the
> > air with the homemade filter attached. In other words, I will unplug the PCV
> > valve and throw it away, leave the hose hanging in the air, and where the
> > PCV valve had formerly been attached to the hose there will be a filter
> > (primarily to prevent bugs and dust from entering the engine).
> >
> > Where the PCV valve had formerly been plugged into the valve cover, I will
> > place a homemade filter in the hole on the valve cover. This will allow to
> > crankcase to ventilate, but there will be no longer be any sucking action. I
> > remember as a child seeing "oil breather caps" on valve covers. I don't see
> > any reason why this technique shouldn't work on a modern engine.
> >
> > However, not being a mechanic, I would rather have some qualified guidance
> > from this newsgroup prior to pursuing this idea any further than the thought
> > stage. I have already plugged my EGR valve port to prevent it from
> > introducing contaminants into the engine and the engine seems to be idling
> > smoother, so why not do the same with the PCV valve?

> The guidance is...NO!

What an arrogant ass...talking down to this guy like that..shame