HELP! Doors won't close with new gaskets!!

Old August 8th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ervin Charles

Default HELP! Doors won't close with new gaskets!!

Hey Group,
I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel on the restoration of
the wife's 76 vert but I've run into a problem. After installing the new
door gaskets (from CIP) the doors won't close all the way even with a lot of
pressure. It's as if the gaskets are too thick. I don't have the door latch
mechanisms installed yet because I am thinking I may have to replace these
gaskets. I've made sure that the front part of the gasket is not being
pinched by the door. The frame has not sagged during restoration, at least I
have even gaps all around the door/body so I don't think it has sagged. The
gasket is pushed completely back into the channel all the way around the
door.
Anyone else had this dilemma? How do I fix it? Different source of
gaskets?
Thanks for any and all advice...
Charles E.

Old August 8th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
TerryB

Ervin Charles wrote:
> Hey Group,
> I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel on the restoration of
> the wife's 76 vert but I've run into a problem. After installing the new
> door gaskets (from CIP) the doors won't close all the way even with a lot of
> pressure. It's as if the gaskets are too thick. I don't have the door latch
> mechanisms installed yet because I am thinking I may have to replace these
> gaskets. I've made sure that the front part of the gasket is not being
> pinched by the door. The frame has not sagged during restoration, at least I
> have even gaps all around the door/body so I don't think it has sagged. The
> gasket is pushed completely back into the channel all the way around the
> door.
> Anyone else had this dilemma? How do I fix it? Different source of
> gaskets?
> Thanks for any and all advice...
> Charles E.

Charles, it has been many years since I did my gasket replacement and I
remember having the same problem, cept mine is a sedan. If you can sit
the car out in the hot sun for a few hours then try to close the doors.
You may need to close with lots of force, just don't get crazy. If
you get them to close all the way, leave them shut for a few day and
let the rubber take the shape it needs.

Old August 9th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

TerryB wrote:
> Ervin Charles wrote:
>
>>Hey Group,
>> I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel on the restoration of
>>the wife's 76 vert but I've run into a problem. After installing the new
>>door gaskets (from CIP) the doors won't close all the way even with a lot of
>>pressure. It's as if the gaskets are too thick. I don't have the door latch
>>mechanisms installed yet because I am thinking I may have to replace these
>>gaskets. I've made sure that the front part of the gasket is not being
>>pinched by the door. The frame has not sagged during restoration, at least I
>>have even gaps all around the door/body so I don't think it has sagged. The
>>gasket is pushed completely back into the channel all the way around the
>>door.
>> Anyone else had this dilemma? How do I fix it? Different source of
>>gaskets?
>>Thanks for any and all advice...
>>Charles E.

> Charles, it has been many years since I did my gasket replacement and I
> remember having the same problem, cept mine is a sedan. If you can sit
> the car out in the hot sun for a few hours then try to close the doors.
> You may need to close with lots of force, just don't get crazy. If
> you get them to close all the way, leave them shut for a few day and
> let the rubber take the shape it needs.

The hinges may need adjusting too, to undo adjustments done in the past
to compensate for the poor seals... thin seals: adjust door inwards
thick seals: bring door outwards. same for the lock strike plate part in
the B pillar.

jan

--
Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells
Old August 9th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ervin Charles

Okey Dokey,
I'll slap everything back together this weekend and do my best to get
them closed. I'll let you know how it works out! Thanks for the advice..
Charles