2001 GT Performance Mods - "cross-roads" - performance increase!!

Old April 28th 05, 07:31 PM
BigAl

Default 2001 GT Performance Mods - "cross-roads" - performance increase!!

I want to reach out to all you other GT owners and see what has proven
to work for you in successfully increasing your horsepower/performance
on your "once" stock Mustang GTs?

I am thinking of getting a Diablo Tuner to advance the timing and such
to tweak out some more HP and all around "responsiveness" to the
throttle! Then...I'm planning on adding a MAC-StraightShot Cold Air
intake to assist in opening up the motor even more! (I would imagine
I'll have to tune the motor again with the Diablo to adjust for thethis
change with the Diablo.)

Has anybody else tried this "combo" of performance mods? Also...how
does this "tuner" work? It has to remain hooked up right? Does it run
off of the car battery and tucked under the hood or dash? To avoid
waisting time and money I'm looking for advise on what has proven to
work for all of you out there and what "hasn't" been such a success!

THANKS!

Old April 28th 05, 08:25 PM
japhar81

I dont think the CAI will do you much good performance-wise, maybe 1-2hp
max.. The tuners usually re-flash the onboard chip, so you plug them in,
program your settings, and then unplug them.

oups.com...

Old April 28th 05, 09:46 PM
Jason

I am new to the group, but I would like to answer this one

I have a 99GT with the following:
BBK long tube Headers
BBK H pipe with Cats
Flowmaster 40 series cat back
FRPP pullies
MAC cold air intake (fender)

I dyno'd last night at the local shop at 248hp and 290ft-lbs I ordered a
Diablo Predator today along with a set of 3.73 gears.
If your interested in waiting a week, I will post the results of the tuner
on the dyno.
Jason

oups.com...

Old April 28th 05, 11:31 PM

Just for everyone thats kinda new to this stuff... The CAI makes a bigger
difference in cases like this because of the high-flow exhaust put on here.
(more air in only matters when the engine can push it back out).

Old April 29th 05, 12:36 AM

And even then it doesn't have THAT big of an impact. The biggest power gains
come from engine work (ie heads, cams, etc), forced induction (supercharger,
turbocharger), nitrous oxide, etc. Depends on what you are wanting to do
with the car. Gears are also a good way to get the car quicker, but mileage
on highway will suffer a little.

-Mike

--
Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!
http://www.MeltAwayCellulite.com/

Old April 29th 05, 01:33 PM
BigAl

I'm "definitely" interested in your results! I am now leaning towards
just the Diablo and the same gears! I am a bit suprised on the fact
that you only pushed out 248hp with the exhaust and pulley upgrades you
already have? I have an 01 and I haven't dyno'd it but was told they
produce 260hp stock. I must have been mis-informed or is there a big
difference from 99 to 01? I wouldn't think so? My car only has 30K
miles on it though too....I really need to find a good shop here in
Iowa that can dyno my car and see where I am at and what "true" gains I
am making I guess.

Thanks though and YES..definitely let me know your increased results!

Al

Old April 29th 05, 01:38 PM
BigAl

I don't want to go too crazy! My wife will drive this
occassionally...she drives a good stick ( hehe ) but I don't want to
push things too much where I'm at a point of workig on this all the
time! It's a family toy that has never seen rain, sleet or snow! I'm
just looking for ~15-20hp gain is all and with that...a more
"responsive" throttle (i.e. when you rev the motor up and let down on
the peddle...i'd like the motor to react to that in a more REAL TIME
than delayed...make sense??) I am new though and may be trying to do
something that will not be the best for me?

Thanks for your response! Anything else you'd like to add..send it on
over!

THX
Al

Old April 29th 05, 02:44 PM
Jason

Keep in mind that the advertised 260hp is at the flywheel. With an 18% loss
through
the drivetrain (which is reasonable) that would be 292hp at the flywheel and
342ft-lbs
That's a 32hp and 42ft-lbs gain over stock, which is not too bad.

Jason

I'll let you when I get have on the dyno with the tuner
oups.com...

Old April 29th 05, 08:16 PM
BigAl

Thanks Jason! Yeah...that now makes sense! YES...quite the
difference. Man...I wouldn't think that the exhaust would really make
that much difference. But like "Japhar81" said...intake increase is
only cashed-in "if" it's able to let OUT the extra taken IN. I'm
learn'n......! Thanks. I'll eagerly await for your new dyno
measurements.

Old April 29th 05, 10:46 PM
Steelawesome

Save the money you would spend making all the minor changes and go for the
best bolt on, the supercharger. You don't have to shoot for 200 extra HP but
it's nice to know you can turn up the boost when you get ready to. I say
bolt on a blower because some of those other parts will come off if you ever
decide to supercharge. It's what every Mustang owner will do eventually.

oups.com...