Leak in Master Cylinder

Old May 17th 05, 08:58 AM

Default Leak in Master Cylinder

I took my 89 Civic car to two mech. They told me my car is leaking
from m/c. They told me to replace right away. I talked about brake
line leaking. They jacked it up and showed me my brake line are all
fine. He said just change the m/c. My simply thought is m/c is so
small I'm thinking I can changed by myself. I believe
the leak is between m/c and power boost. is there a seal or
gasket place bewteen m/c and power boost. all I can do is just
unscrew two bolts holding a m/c from power boost. do you think
I just replace the seal or gasket rather than replace the whole
master cylinder?

Old May 17th 05, 12:23 PM
TeGGeR®

wrote in
oups.com:

> I took my 89 Civic car to two mech. They told me my car is leaking
> from m/c. They told me to replace right away. I talked about brake
> line leaking. They jacked it up and showed me my brake line are all
> fine. He said just change the m/c. My simply thought is m/c is so
> small I'm thinking I can changed by myself.

Sure can. But make sure you get that new pushrod adjusted correctly. It you
don't, the brakes will not work properly, and may even lock on as you
drive.

It can also be difficult to bleed all the air out of the new master
cylinder without bench-bleeding it, so you'd get a spongy pedal.

And you have to get all the hydraulic connections undone without stripping
the nuts, which can be a _lot_ harder than it sounds, even with the correct
type of wrench.

> I believe
> the leak is between m/c and power boost. is there a seal or
> gasket place bewteen m/c and power boost. all I can do is just
> unscrew two bolts holding a m/c from power boost. do you think
> I just replace the seal or gasket rather than replace the whole
> master cylinder?

There is an almost 100% chance at this point that the seals INSIDE the
master cylinder are bad, and those likely due to corrosion in the bore.

The sort of questions you're asking are those of someone who does not
really understand his braking system. Uness you want to spend a week or so
fussing with this to get everything right, I'd suggest serious Googling,
library reading, or just pay the mechanics for their knowledge and
experience.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 18th 05, 02:23 AM
SoCalMike

TeGGeR® wrote:
> library reading, or just pay the mechanics for their knowledge and
> experience.

id recommend this, at least until youve done other brake work first,
like pads, flushes, replacing wheel cylinders and calipers on your own.
ive only needed one m/c done, on my old vw vert, and i paid the $150 or
so to have it done.
Old May 18th 05, 05:21 PM
Jason

In article >,
Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:

> In article .com>,
> wrote:
>
> > I took my 89 Civic car to two mech. They told me my car is leaking
> > from m/c. They told me to replace right away. I talked about brake
> > line leaking. They jacked it up and showed me my brake line are all
> > fine. He said just change the m/c. My simply thought is m/c is so
> > small I'm thinking I can changed by myself. I believe
> > the leak is between m/c and power boost. is there a seal or
> > gasket place bewteen m/c and power boost. all I can do is just
> > unscrew two bolts holding a m/c from power boost. do you think
> > I just replace the seal or gasket rather than replace the whole
> > master cylinder?

> That's bad news if it's leaking out near the booster.
>
> You can probably replace the MC yourself but you must have the repair
> manual. There's lots you can screw up without following the procedures
> and knowing the specifications. The consequences would be severe.

Great post. I agree with you. I have seen some posts in recent months
related to people that have air in the brake lines. It causes all sorts of
problems. While changing a master cylinder-if you don't follow the proper
procedures--you can end up with air in the brake lines. It reminds me of
an old poster I seen in a garage owned by a mechanic. It said PAY ME A
LITTLE NOW OR A LOT LATER. It's a variation of PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old May 19th 05, 02:36 AM
jim beam

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
<snip>

> It is a good idea to get this done ASAP
> since your braking system is an important safety feature.

^^^
nice understatement!

Old May 19th 05, 07:26 AM
SoCalMike

TeGGeR® wrote:

> Here's a fun one:
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rusty...old_rotors.jpg
> This person came to me complaining of "grinding" from her Aerostar's
> brakes. How long had this been happening? "Oh, it just started..." Yeah,
> right.
> Yes, the inner rotor face is totally gone. It takes a while to work the
> piston back into the caliper when it's sticking out that far.

shoulda kept driving it, and it woulda turned from a vented rotor to a
solid one!

Master Cylinder Questions Noice87 VW air cooled 5 May 6th 05 04:32 AM
dual ci6rcuit master brake cylinder JS VW air cooled 3 December 20th 04 02:42 PM
'97 Voyager - Brakes MamaB Dodge 20 December 6th 04 12:26 AM
67 beetle master cylinder spacer Hal VW air cooled 8 November 13th 04 03:17 AM
Master Cylinder - which part number should I use? Chuck Townsley VW air cooled 4 October 21st 04 03:55 PM