Montalban, Former Chrysler Pitchman, Dies At 88

Old January 15th 09, 01:48 AM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
Comments4u

Default Montalban, Former Chrysler Pitchman, Dies At 88

Former Chrysler pitchman Ricardo Montalban, known for the phrase "reeech
Corinthian leather" when referring to the Chysler Cordoba, died Wednesday
morning at home. He was 88. Interestingly, in the early Cordoba
commercials, the phrase he used was "fine Corinthian leather".

Montalban's association with Chrysler went far beyond the Cordoba. He also
did commercials in the early 80s for the K car based LeBarons and New
Yorkers. And in a subtle touch, a modified Dodge Aspen wagon was featured
on his show Fantasy Island.

Comments have poured in from around the world. Former DaimlerChrysler CEO
Jurgen Schrempp said "I've aways liked Fantasy Island. I envy people who
can successfully achieve their fantasies." Current Chrysler CEO Robert
Nardelli said "This is important... did he cash the last check we sent
him?"

Hollywood reporter Mona Barrett informed William Shatner, Montalban's
adversary in TV and movies, of Montalban's death. "He was still alive?"
asked Shatner. "You mean... Genesis *did* work?"

Montalban is survived by fellow former Chrysler pitchmen and women Joe
Garagiola, Jack Jones, Celine Dion, and Lee Iacocca. The funeral will be
postponed for a few months, so it can be held at the same time as the
Chrysler funeral.
Old January 15th 09, 04:27 AM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
James Hatten

"Comments4u" > wrote in message
> Former Chrysler pitchman Ricardo Montalban, known for the phrase "reeech
> Corinthian leather" when referring to the Chysler Cordoba, died Wednesday
> morning at home. He was 88. Interestingly, in the early Cordoba
> commercials, the phrase he used was "fine Corinthian leather".
>
> Montalban's association with Chrysler went far beyond the Cordoba. He
> also
> did commercials in the early 80s for the K car based LeBarons and New
> Yorkers. And in a subtle touch, a modified Dodge Aspen wagon was featured
> on his show Fantasy Island.
>
> Comments have poured in from around the world. Former DaimlerChrysler CEO
> Jurgen Schrempp said "I've aways liked Fantasy Island. I envy people who
> can successfully achieve their fantasies." Current Chrysler CEO Robert
> Nardelli said "This is important... did he cash the last check we sent
> him?"
>
> Hollywood reporter Mona Barrett informed William Shatner, Montalban's
> adversary in TV and movies, of Montalban's death. "He was still alive?"
> asked Shatner. "You mean... Genesis *did* work?"
>
> Montalban is survived by fellow former Chrysler pitchmen and women Joe
> Garagiola, Jack Jones, Celine Dion, and Lee Iacocca. The funeral will be
> postponed for a few months, so it can be held at the same time as the
> Chrysler funeral.

Kind of insulting to someone who just
lost his life............

Old January 15th 09, 05:13 AM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
swiggy

"James Hatten" <Mollwitz> wrote in message

> "Comments4u" > wrote in message
>> Former Chrysler pitchman Ricardo Montalban, known for the phrase "reeech
>> Corinthian leather" when referring to the Chysler Cordoba, died Wednesday
>> morning at home. He was 88. Interestingly, in the early Cordoba
>> commercials, the phrase he used was "fine Corinthian leather".
>>
>> Montalban's association with Chrysler went far beyond the Cordoba. He
>> also
>> did commercials in the early 80s for the K car based LeBarons and New
>> Yorkers. And in a subtle touch, a modified Dodge Aspen wagon was
>> featured
>> on his show Fantasy Island.
>>
>> Comments have poured in from around the world. Former DaimlerChrysler
>> CEO
>> Jurgen Schrempp said "I've aways liked Fantasy Island. I envy people who
>> can successfully achieve their fantasies." Current Chrysler CEO Robert
>> Nardelli said "This is important... did he cash the last check we sent
>> him?"
>>
>> Hollywood reporter Mona Barrett informed William Shatner, Montalban's
>> adversary in TV and movies, of Montalban's death. "He was still alive?"
>> asked Shatner. "You mean... Genesis *did* work?"
>>
>> Montalban is survived by fellow former Chrysler pitchmen and women Joe
>> Garagiola, Jack Jones, Celine Dion, and Lee Iacocca. The funeral will be
>> postponed for a few months, so it can be held at the same time as the
>> Chrysler funeral.

> Kind of insulting to someone who just
> lost his life............

If Ricardo doesn't like it, he can always haunt the writer into the grave.
Because I'm a humorist, I'd like my obit to read much in the same vein.

Regardless, nearly every celeb is always open for satirization, even when
they die. And it doesn't matter who it is. Watch SNL this weekend (or any
week-end) and see who'd death they mention in their weekend update segment.
And they pic on everyone.

I still recall with a tear how they informed us that Morris the Cat had
passed away by suicide. He had tried many times before without succeeding
because he always had 9 lives.

SWIGGY

Old January 15th 09, 02:50 PM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
Pete E. Kruzer

Funeral Director Says Interior of Montalban Casket Made of Fine
Corinthian Leather
Old January 15th 09, 03:45 PM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
edward ohare

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:50:34 -0800 (PST), "Pete E. Kruzer"
> wrote:

>Funeral Director Says Interior of Montalban Casket Made of Fine
>Corinthian Leather

Actually it looks like both the legend and orignal posters assertation
are wrong. Here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o
is says "soft Corinthian leather".

Old January 15th 09, 08:05 PM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

This thread made me look up the commercial, not knowing what the car looked
like.

Nice man, nice voice, shame about the car....

He talks about "tastefulness", but the car sure looks ugly.... That curious
American penchant for mixing vinyl with metal in the roof...

DAS
(From London)
---
[...]

Old January 15th 09, 08:31 PM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
edward ohare

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:05:11 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"
> wrote:

>This thread made me look up the commercial, not knowing what the car looked
>like.
>
>Nice man, nice voice, shame about the car....

Just a note here that the Cordoba was a huge success, outselling the
Pontiac Grand Prix and Ford Elite, while being higher priced than
either. The Chevy Monte Carlo outsold the Cordoba, but cost over
$1000 less, pretty significant in in what was then the $4xxx and $5xxx
base price ranges.

>He talks about "tastefulness", but the car sure looks ugly.... That curious
>American penchant for mixing vinyl with metal in the roof...
>
>DAS
>(From London)

Ugly? With Jaguar lamp treatment and a knock off Rolls grill? <G>
Old January 15th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries,alt.auto.mercedes
Count Floyd[_2_]

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:32:37 UTC, Father Guido Sarducci
> wrote:

> Damn that is one UGLY car.

Wasn't that bad for the early/mid '70's. Take a look at the 73 Monte
Carlo. Long hood/short deck "luxury coupes" were the fad in the
'70's. With a 318 V-8 they could get over 20mpg on the highway. The
drivetrains were bulletproof, but the bodies, unfortunately were prone
to rust.
Old January 15th 09, 10:25 PM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
Joe Pfeiffer

"Dori A Schmetterling" > writes:

> This thread made me look up the commercial, not knowing what the car looked
> like.
>
> Nice man, nice voice, shame about the car....
>
> He talks about "tastefulness", but the car sure looks ugly.... That curious
> American penchant for mixing vinyl with metal in the roof...

For its time, the first-generation Cordoba was a very nice-looking
car.
Old January 16th 09, 12:48 AM posted to alt.auto.mercedes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,alt.startrek,alt.obituaries
Bret

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> This thread made me look up the commercial, not knowing what the car
> looked like.
>
> Nice man, nice voice, shame about the car....
>
> He talks about "tastefulness", but the car sure looks ugly.... That
> curious American penchant for mixing vinyl with metal in the roof...
>
> DAS
> (From London)
> --
> To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
> ---
> "edward ohare" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> Actually it looks like both the legend and orignal posters assertation
>> are wrong. Here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o
>> is says "soft Corinthian leather".

I had a '77 Cordoba, and I had always liked the way it looked. The drive
train was pretty reliable, but the body rusted out, both rear leaf spring
shackles broke and the springs poked through the trunk. The passenger side
door could only be opened from the inside, and only if you kicked it open.

Worst of all, the fancy cover on the trunk lock fell off.

Ah, the good old days .......

Montalban, Former Chrysler Pitchman, Dies At 88 Comments4u Driving 75 January 21st 09 01:37 AM
instrument cluster dies, then comes for a minute, then dies for several minutes, repeat... [email protected] Technology 2 June 30th 07 02:13 AM
Old scan reposts (all bad) 1976 Chrysler Cordoba w-Ricardo Montalban Brown Frt Qtr.jpg 267507 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 December 7th 06 11:53 AM
1995 Chrysler New Yorker 3.5 - engine dies DonBecker Chrysler 7 January 6th 06 05:00 AM
Iacocca returns as Chrysler pitchman MoPar Man Chrysler 0 July 7th 05 01:09 AM