Idiot kills idiot over a Taurus

Old October 24th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Default Idiot kills idiot over a Taurus

8th-grader killed in car theft
Owner could face charges; teen had long record
BY EILEEN KELLEY AND WILLIAM A. WEATHERS | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

KENNEDY HEIGHTS - Quavale Finnell's 15th birthday is Thursday.

He didn't make it.

Instead, his body landed in the Hamilton County morgue after he was
shot before dawn Monday by a homeowner as the teen apparently tried to
steal the man's car on Odin Avenue.

Police said Quavale was found in the driver's seat of a 1994 Ford
Taurus with a gunshot wound in the 3700 block of Odin. He was an
eighth-grader at Central Fairmount Elementary School, on the city's
West Side.

Police said the bullet hit him in the chest, just under his left arm.

It wasn't clear why Quavale was in Kennedy Heights Monday morning. Some
in the neighborhood said they think he lived there, but his mother, who
lives on Grove Street in South Fairmount, told police that she expected
him home before school.

Police said Bennie D. Hall Jr., 61, the owner of a home on Odin, went
outside at 6 a.m. to warm up his car and went back into his house.

When Hall came back outside, he saw someone driving away in the gray
Ford Taurus, police said. Hall fired at the fleeing car.

Police said Quavale, who had a juvenile record with 13 cases ranging
from jaywalking to breaking and entering, turned around in a dead end
and sped away down another street before he crashed into a parked Kia
and a fire hydrant.

The car finally came to a halt with its rear wheels on an embankment
wall.

News of the shooting shook neighbors.

Rodney Lawson, 41, who lives on Odin, said he heard three shots but did
not immediately think the crash and the gunshots were related.

Said Donta Wright, 33, the owner of the Kia: "He was slumped over in
the (front seat) of the car."

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said his office will decide,
probably within 10 days, whether to pursue criminal charges against
Hall.

Under Ohio law, the use of deadly force is permitted if a person
believes he or she is about to be killed or seriously hurt. People also
may use lethal force to defend their homes or businesses.

The amount of force used should be tied to the threat posed by an
assailant, Deters said. "If you're in a fist fight, you can't take out
a rifle and shoot somebody," he said.

Hall was questioned but later released, police said.

"Do we believe this gentleman is a flight risk? Absolutely not," Sgt.
Gary Conner of the homicide unit said. Conner said other officers told
him that Hall was upset.

"I think if he ever had to do it again, he wouldn't (have shot),"
Conner said. "He was very remorseful, from what I am hearing."

Quavale's fingerprints led police to his mother, Cassandra Finnell,
late Monday morning. Police said she collapsed on the floor after the
news. Three children, including two infants, draped themselves over her
as she cried, Conner said.

"This is not the time," Finnell said Monday night when asked about her
son.

Brandi Solomon, who said she had known Quavale for about six months,
described the teen as troubled but likable.

"I know he didn't want his life taken just like that," Solomon said.
"God has given him a chance over and over again, and this one was the
last one." Pic at http://tinyurl.com/ybsp3s
-----

- gpsman

Old October 25th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Not saying that the car owner who was the victim in this case did the
right thing. But bear in mind that back in our countries early history
men were hung for stealing a horse. A horse was a persons livelyhood.
You could not survive without a horse. You needed it as transportation
to get to work, to plow fields, to get to the store, etc etc. In the
sense of it's necessity and utility, a horse then is no different than
a car. Only a car is a modern day work horse that happens to be
mechanical rather than organic. It basically surves the same
function/purpose. An top of that, most of America these days does not
have adequate public transportation if at all.

Karma, it's all Karma. The 8th grader got what was coming to him.
Imagine if he didn't die from the Taurus incident. How many more
victims he would have hurt allong his self destructive path stealing
many more cars. Not just Tauruses but Firarries and Porches, Mercedes
and BMW's. Cars that some people might have worked their wholes lives
to afford. They might have paid for their cars with their hard work,
flesh, blood, sweat, and tears.

As Charles Darwin stated, "survival of the fittest". The idiot dying
of a gunshot wound to the chest was natures way of sorting out who's
fit to live and who should just fall by the way-side and not pass on
their defective genes.

East-

Old October 25th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), gpsman said in
rec.autos.driving:
> 8th-grader killed in car theft
> Owner could face charges; teen had long record

This is exactly what is wrong with this country. This guy worked hard
for his property and you say that he should just let this punk take it.
No wonder this nation is going down the ********.

--
"An armed society is a polite society."
--Robert Heinlein
Old October 25th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article t>, necromancer wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), gpsman said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>> 8th-grader killed in car theft
>> Owner could face charges; teen had long record

> This is exactly what is wrong with this country. This guy worked hard
> for his property and you say that he should just let this punk take it.
> No wonder this nation is going down the ********.

In the UK as I understand it, if you defend yourself or your property you
go to prison and get sued successfully by the criminal. That's where the
USA is heading.

The criminals in office are making things safe for criminals and then
using the crimes to justify having more power to monitor the entire
population and have more control over our daily lives.

It's better that every thief, every criminal _FEAR_ that his victim is
armed and will kill him. Nothing else will reduce crime more than that
deterent.

As to the criminals in political office, that fear was to be put into
them with the 2nd admendment. (which they are always trying to get rid of
in one way or another, wonder why?)

Old October 25th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"gpsman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> 8th-grader killed in car theft
> Owner could face charges; teen had long record
> BY EILEEN KELLEY AND WILLIAM A. WEATHERS | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS
>
> KENNEDY HEIGHTS - Quavale Finnell's 15th birthday is Thursday.
>
> He didn't make it.
>
> Instead, his body landed in the Hamilton County morgue after he was
> shot before dawn Monday by a homeowner as the teen apparently tried to
> steal the man's car on Odin Avenue.
>
> Police said Quavale was found in the driver's seat of a 1994 Ford
> Taurus with a gunshot wound in the 3700 block of Odin. He was an
> eighth-grader at Central Fairmount Elementary School, on the city's
> West Side.
>
> Police said the bullet hit him in the chest, just under his left arm.
>
> It wasn't clear why Quavale was in Kennedy Heights Monday morning. Some
> in the neighborhood said they think he lived there, but his mother, who
> lives on Grove Street in South Fairmount, told police that she expected
> him home before school.
>
> Police said Bennie D. Hall Jr., 61, the owner of a home on Odin, went
> outside at 6 a.m. to warm up his car and went back into his house.
>
> When Hall came back outside, he saw someone driving away in the gray
> Ford Taurus, police said. Hall fired at the fleeing car.

Hall deserves a medal. -Dave

Old October 25th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
223rem[_2_]

That was topnotch shooting! Much better deterrent than prison for these
people. Probably next time ghetto punks would think before stealing
someones property.

Old October 25th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

necromancer wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), gpsman said in
> rec.autos.driving:
> > 8th-grader killed in car theft
> > Owner could face charges; teen had long record

> This is exactly what is wrong with this country. This guy worked hard
> for his property and you say that he should just let this punk take it.
> No wonder this nation is going down the ********.
>
> --
> "An armed society is a polite society."
> --Robert Heinlein

Yep. However the law is the law and I thought Texas was the only state
that permitted shooting to protect property. Here (wa), unfortunately,
the owner would be in jail.

Harry K

Old October 25th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Harry K wrote:
> necromancer wrote:
>> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), gpsman said in
>> rec.autos.driving:

>>> 8th-grader killed in car theft
>>> Owner could face charges; teen had long record

>> This is exactly what is wrong with this country. This guy worked hard
>> for his property and you say that he should just let this punk take it.
>> No wonder this nation is going down the ********.

> Yep. However the law is the law

When laws don't make sense and give the advantage to criminals, most
law-abiding people will say "**** the law."
Old October 25th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera

Backshooting somebody as he drove away would probably be examined
closely by the district attorney's office even in jurisdictions where
you might (might -- see below) be allowed to use deadly force in a
simple property crime.

As a practical matter, it's also a good thing the owner didn't crank
off a stray round into an innocent bystander, and the little junior
crime wave at the wheel hit some inanimate and uninhabited objects
instead of expiring with his foot on the gas and his car pointed at
pedestrians or oncoming traffic, eh?

Sometimes what you can tactically do, what you legally may do, and what
you ought to do are three different questions -- and the last,
especially, is a judgement call you will have a lot more time to think
about after pulling a trigger than before.

As for Texas, it strikes me as being pretty much in the US mainstream
on the use of force and of deadly force. This may stand in contrast to
its Wild West image (reinforced by media reports on what was dubbed the
"make-my-day law" when it was being discussed -- penal
code section 9.32, subsection b -- and of its place in the vanguard of
concealed-carry reform). If you take a life there, you'd better have
specific good reasons why it was both
lawful and necessary (and might want to explain them after the advice
of, and in the presence of, your attorney). See for instance
http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes...00.htm#9.41.00
My layman's guess is that it turns on a judgement call by the DA's
office, and possibly a jury, regarding Section 9.42(3)(B).

Cheers,
--Joe

Old October 25th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Brent P said in
rec.autos.driving:
> In the UK as I understand it, if you defend yourself or your property you
> go to prison and get sued successfully by the criminal. That's where the
> USA is heading.

Doesn't surprise me. We've been headed down this path since the '60's.

> The criminals in office are making things safe for criminals and then

Birds of a feather...

> using the crimes to justify having more power to monitor the entire
> population and have more control over our daily lives.

Exactly why we have The Second Ammendment.

> It's better that every thief, every criminal _FEAR_ that his victim is
> armed and will kill him. Nothing else will reduce crime more than that
> deterent.
>
> As to the criminals in political office, that fear was to be put into
> them with the 2nd admendment. (which they are always trying to get rid of
> in one way or another, wonder why?)

They want to get rid of it for the exact same reason that we need it and
why the founders of this nation put it in.

--

"There's not a shred of evidence that the jerries murdered anything
close to 7 million jooz. Another monstrous lie just like the 9-11

-- Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend, 12/01/2004
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/9oog5

Idiot speeder kills self racing thru cemetery necromancer Driving 0 June 6th 06 04:40 PM
Taurus vs. Bus necromancer Driving 1 March 16th 06 01:09 PM
"Driving like maniac" speeder kills 10 year old boy - Lawyer calls it an accident Paul. Driving 0 September 24th 05 05:08 PM
Idiot drives ATV off cliff - Kills self, cripples son Paul Driving 28 June 17th 05 08:24 PM
ford taurus 2000 sel. white rims available? xenon hids bad for taurus? Lucky No One General 1 May 14th 04 09:56 PM