New to 4x4s questionable assumptions

Old September 19th 04, 05:30 PM
Spooky

Default New to 4x4s questionable assumptions

I will be needing a 4wd in a year. I am starting my planning now to be sure
I make the right choice.
So I am here to read your usenet, and ask stupid questions. Forgive me in
advance for my lameness.

First off. I am going to need a dedicated off road vehicle
I know some people are against trailering thier rides, but for my intents
(traveling hundreds of highway miles) to go off road in the national
forests, blm, public use areas etc.
I want somthing that I will not be afraid to drop the hammer in.

I feel that the vehicle must be well rounded, and not dedicated to one
particular aspect of off roading, ie; rock crawling, sand rail, mud buggy,
etc

obviously my opinions are formed by ignorance so I will continue

I had considered a larger vehicle such as a Suburban, but recently I
realized it would be better to trailer the 4x4 to a rv, rather then pull a
trailer with one.

My inital thought was a Jeep, I am a fan of dodge already.
However I would consider purchasing a used baja/ralley/off road race truck
as well.

ideally I would like to carry a minimal amout of gear, and up to 3
passangers

so a larger 4x4 might be in order, such as a Bronco, Ram Charger, Blazer, I
also feel that one of these might me more secure then a jeep as well. by
secure I mean I would like to park the thing with my hunting gear, leave it,
and the stuff still in it when I return.

I don't really care what make/modle I would prefer somthing older with a
carburated not computer controlled motor, although I have heard that some
times offroading is better with fuel injection.

What would really sell me would be the truck with the most current
technology available (aftermarket upgrades), with new things being developed
as well. I'm not sure but I think jeep probally wins this round

on the other hand, what do you guys think about just building/buying a tube
frame 4 passanger buggy for off roading at high speed with the wife and
kids?

thanks
Spooky

Old September 19th 04, 10:58 PM
HarryS

"Spooky" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I will be needing a 4wd in a year. I am starting my planning now to be
>sure
> I make the right choice.
> So I am here to read your usenet, and ask stupid questions. Forgive me in
> advance for my lameness.
>
> First off. I am going to need a dedicated off road vehicle
> I know some people are against trailering thier rides, but for my intents
> (traveling hundreds of highway miles) to go off road in the national
> forests, blm, public use areas etc.
> I want somthing that I will not be afraid to drop the hammer in.
>
> I feel that the vehicle must be well rounded, and not dedicated to one
> particular aspect of off roading, ie; rock crawling, sand rail, mud buggy,
> etc
>
> obviously my opinions are formed by ignorance so I will continue
>
> I had considered a larger vehicle such as a Suburban, but recently I
> realized it would be better to trailer the 4x4 to a rv, rather then pull a
> trailer with one.
>
> My inital thought was a Jeep, I am a fan of dodge already.
> However I would consider purchasing a used baja/ralley/off road race truck
> as well.
>
> ideally I would like to carry a minimal amout of gear, and up to 3
> passangers
>
> so a larger 4x4 might be in order, such as a Bronco, Ram Charger, Blazer,
> also feel that one of these might me more secure then a jeep as well. by
> secure I mean I would like to park the thing with my hunting gear, leave
> it,
> and the stuff still in it when I return.
>
> I don't really care what make/modle I would prefer somthing older with a
> carburated not computer controlled motor, although I have heard that some
> times offroading is better with fuel injection.
>
> What would really sell me would be the truck with the most current
> technology available (aftermarket upgrades), with new things being
> developed
> as well. I'm not sure but I think jeep probally wins this round
>
> on the other hand, what do you guys think about just building/buying a
> tube
> frame 4 passanger buggy for off roading at high speed with the wife and
> kids?
>
> thanks
> Spooky

Wrong bait the fish aren't biting.