Hard Top or Soft Top

Old January 29th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Hard Top or Soft Top

I'm new to the Jeep segment of 4X4's and i want to purchase one, but does anyone know of i can interchange a soft top and a hard top? on either a 98' or 97' TJ sport? thanks

--
paulakn

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-380942.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old January 29th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

AFAIK tops are interchangeable from '97-'02, i think. Around '03 they went
with a slightly different latch system, if I am correct.

news

Old January 29th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I believe you are correct and some mods would be needed to run the newer tops. Many
of us run part year hard and part year soft.
-jenn

Old January 30th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"jbjeep" > wrote in message
>I believe you are correct and some mods would be needed to run the newer
>tops. Many
> of us run part year hard and part year soft.
> -jenn
>

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:18:58 -0500, "Matt Macchiarolo"
> > wrote:
>
>>>AFAIK tops are interchangeable from '97-'02, i think. Around '03 they
>>>went
>>>with a slightly different latch system, if I am correct.

Top / Latch from a 2003 works fine on my 99...you need a plug adapter to
make the wiring connection from the top to the jeep. Found one at JeepsRUs.

Jerry S.

Old January 30th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Maybe it's 04 then...my wife's 04 Unlimited has so much plastic crap on the
windshield frame...

Old January 30th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The hard top is a pain in the neck to install, remove and store, unless you
have a barn with lots of unused space and a convenient beam to hang a hoist
from. In the yard to garage, it is always getting in the way. Other than
that, "all" TJs can interchange soft and hard tops, although there are some
issues when you try to mix model years.

Earle

news

Old February 4th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yes, the tops are interchangeable. Some TJs come with a Dual Top Option,
both tops. The soft top can be raised or lowered whenever you want, but has
to be removed when the hard top is in use. The hard top takes two people to
remove, or you can buy or build a sling that can lift the top off for you
and hang it from the ceiling in your garage.

news

Old February 4th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Some of us can go all year with no top ... <hehehe>

Old February 4th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

But the Unlimited is a long-wheelbase TJ, and its top won't fit anything
else anyhow.

. ..

Old February 4th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ditto.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/