A few oil drops

Old June 21st 05, 02:46 PM
Joao Eliseu

Default A few oil drops

I’m noticing that there a few oil drops from the vertical tube that comes from the
oil filler and ends under the car near cilinder#2 with a plastic cap on it when
I park the car.
The oil doesn’t come from the air filter, because the tube that comes from it is
dry.
How can the oil climb the generator pedestal to get out from there?

Joao
Old June 21st 05, 05:53 PM
Joao Eliseu

Michael Cecil > wrote:
>On 21 Jun 2005 06:46:50 -0700, "Joao Eliseu" >
>wrote:
>

>>I’m noticing that there a few oil drops from the vertical tube that comes

>from the
>>oil filler and ends under the car near cilinder#2 with a plastic cap on it

>when
>>I park the car.
>>The oil doesn’t come from the air filter, because the tube that comes from

>it is
>>dry.
>>How can the oil climb the generator pedestal to get out from there?

>Doesn't that just provide some ventilation into the case? The oil just
>"distills" it's way out when the engine gets hot, I think.
>
>--
>Michael Cecil
>http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
>http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

Yes, it is to vent, so if it doesn't leak, it doesn't have oil? :-)
I think that may be, there is another reason...

Joao
Old June 21st 05, 08:54 PM
Kevin Holzer

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> I’m noticing that there a few oil drops from the vertical tube that comes from the
> oil filler and ends under the car near cilinder#2 with a plastic cap on it when
> I park the car.
> The oil doesn’t come from the air filter, because the tube that comes from it is
> dry.
> How can the oil climb the generator pedestal to get out from there?
>

> Joao

Has your engine been rebuilt lately or did you just recently have a new
gen/alternator (or a new stand, for that matter) installed?
There is a little notched gasket-like thing that is under the generator
stand which prevents oil from splashing up the oil filler tube (in the
gen stand). It only correctly blocks the most oil when positioned
correctly in one of the eight possible (!!) positions.
-Kevin
Old June 21st 05, 09:48 PM
Joao Eliseu

Kevin Holzer > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>> I’m noticing that there a few oil drops from the vertical tube that comes

>from the
>> oil filler and ends under the car near cilinder#2 with a plastic cap on

>it when
>> I park the car.
>> The oil doesn’t come from the air filter, because the tube that comes from

>it is
>> dry.
>> How can the oil climb the generator pedestal to get out from there?
>>

>> Joao

>Has your engine been rebuilt lately or did you just recently have a new
>gen/alternator (or a new stand, for that matter) installed?
>There is a little notched gasket-like thing that is under the generator
>stand which prevents oil from splashing up the oil filler tube (in the
>gen stand). It only correctly blocks the most oil when positioned
>correctly in one of the eight possible (!!) positions.
>-Kevin

Yes, it was rebuilt 800km ago (500 miles). I have to speak with the guy you rebuilt
it.
Do you have the gasket position diagram?

Joao
Old June 21st 05, 10:03 PM
Tim Rogers

"Joao Eliseu" > wrote in message

> I'm noticing that there a few oil drops from the vertical tube that comes

from the
> oil filler and ends under the car near cilinder#2 with a plastic cap on it

when
> I park the car.
> The oil doesn't come from the air filter, because the tube that comes from

it is
> dry.
> How can the oil climb the generator pedestal to get out from there?

.................Take the oil filler cap off while it's running and look to
see whether it has excessive crankcase 'blowby'. Does it use oil?

Old June 21st 05, 10:50 PM
P.J. Berg

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> Michael Cecil > wrote:
>
>>On 21 Jun 2005 06:46:50 -0700, "Joao Eliseu" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I’m noticing that there a few oil drops from the vertical tube that comes

>>from the

>>>oil filler and ends under the car near cilinder#2 with a plastic cap on it

>>when
>>
>>>I park the car.
>>>The oil doesn’t come from the air filter, because the tube that comes from

>>it is
>>
>>>dry.
>>>How can the oil climb the generator pedestal to get out from there?

>>Doesn't that just provide some ventilation into the case? The oil just
>>"distills" it's way out when the engine gets hot, I think.
>>
>>--
>>Michael Cecil
>>http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
>>http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

> Yes, it is to vent, so if it doesn't leak, it doesn't have oil? :-)
> I think that may be, there is another reason...
>

> Joao

That is a perfectly natural result of blow-by, this will increase
crankcase pressure as the engine wears.

J.
Old June 21st 05, 10:53 PM
P.J. Berg

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> Kevin Holzer > wrote:
>
>>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>>
>>>I’m noticing that there a few oil drops from the vertical tube that comes

>>from the

>>>oil filler and ends under the car near cilinder#2 with a plastic cap on

>>it when
>>
>>>I park the car.
>>>The oil doesn’t come from the air filter, because the tube that comes from

>>it is
>>
>>>dry.
>>>How can the oil climb the generator pedestal to get out from there?
>>>

>>>Joao

>>Has your engine been rebuilt lately or did you just recently have a new
>>gen/alternator (or a new stand, for that matter) installed?
>>There is a little notched gasket-like thing that is under the generator
>>stand which prevents oil from splashing up the oil filler tube (in the
>>gen stand). It only correctly blocks the most oil when positioned
>>correctly in one of the eight possible (!!) positions.
>>-Kevin

> Yes, it was rebuilt 800km ago (500 miles). I have to speak with the guy you rebuilt
> it.
> Do you have the gasket position diagram?
>

> Joao

The metal "gasket" has louvers which should point down and to the
right(Away from the centerline of the engine).

J.
Old June 21st 05, 11:06 PM
Joao Eliseu

"P.J. Berg" > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>> Kevin Holzer > wrote:

>>>from the

>>>it when

>>>it is

>>>Has your engine been rebuilt lately or did you just recently have a new

>>>gen/alternator (or a new stand, for that matter) installed?
>>>There is a little notched gasket-like thing that is under the generator

>>>stand which prevents oil from splashing up the oil filler tube (in the
>>>gen stand). It only correctly blocks the most oil when positioned
>>>correctly in one of the eight possible (!!) positions.
>>>-Kevin

>> Yes, it was rebuilt 800km ago (500 miles). I have to speak with the guy

>you rebuilt
>> it.
>> Do you have the gasket position diagram?
>>

>> Joao

>The metal "gasket" has louvers which should point down and to the
>right(Away from the centerline of the engine).
>
>J.

Something like this?

_ _ _
_ \ \ \
/.\
\_/

looking from the rear to the front of the car

Joao
Old June 21st 05, 11:58 PM
P.J. Berg

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> "P.J. Berg" > wrote:
>
>>Joao Eliseu wrote:

>>>Yes, it was rebuilt 800km ago (500 miles). I have to speak with the guy

>>you rebuilt
>>
>>>it.
>>>Do you have the gasket position diagram?
>>>

>>>Joao

>>The metal "gasket" has louvers which should point down and to the
>>right(Away from the centerline of the engine).
>>
>>J.

> Something like this?
>

> _ _ _
> _ \ \ \
> /.\
> \_/
>
> looking from the rear to the front of the car
>

> Joao

Eggsactly.. )

J.
Old June 22nd 05, 12:02 AM
Joao Eliseu

"P.J. Berg" > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:

>on

>from

>>>you rebuilt

>>>The metal "gasket" has louvers which should point down and to the
>>>right(Away from the centerline of the engine).
>>>
>>>J.

>> Something like this?
>>

>> _ _ _
>> _ \ \ \
>> /.\
>> \_/
>>
>> looking from the rear to the front of the car
>>

>> Joao

>Eggsactly.. )
>
>J.

Any way to check if it is there and on the right possition without removing a *lot*
of parts from the engine or any?

Joao

More criminal coddling - State of VA drops red light cameras Garth Almgren Driving 22 April 8th 05 09:55 PM
E36 Engine Temperature Jonathan BMW 9 January 2nd 05 04:53 AM
93 Caravan Transmisson drops out - electrical saabturbo Dodge 30 September 28th 04 02:54 PM
Mysterious drops in power Ernest Audi 1 June 3rd 04 01:08 PM