Headlamp beam converters

Old June 18th 08, 09:21 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
petek

Default Headlamp beam converters

I'm intending to take my 156 1.9 m'jet JTD (2005) to France next month
and need to arrange the necessary "blanking off" of the headlights to
avoid dazzling oncoming Frenchmen.

The last time I took my own car abroad was quite some years ago and on
the older style headlamps it was easy to figure out the appropriate
area on the lens and cover it with some black insulation tape.

Being a bit of a miser I don't want to buy a set of converters unless
I can help it. Does anyone know how I can determine which area on the
156 headlamp lens needs blanking off? (and indeed will this work on
the latest type headlamps?)

TIA
petek
Old June 19th 08, 09:49 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
savamac[_2_]

On 18 Jun, 21:21, petek > wrote:
> I'm intending to take my 156 1.9 m'jet JTD (2005) to France next month
> and need to arrange the necessary "blanking off" of the headlights to
> avoid dazzling oncoming Frenchmen.
>
> The last time I took my own car abroad was quite some years ago and on
> the older style headlamps it was easy to figure out the appropriate
> area on the lens and cover it with some black insulation tape.
>
> Being a bit of a miser I don't want to buy a set of converters unless
> I can help it. Does anyone know how I can determine which area on the
> 156 headlamp lens needs blanking off? (and indeed will this work on
> the latest type headlamps?)
>
> TIA
> petek

You could try Halfords - have a furtive look at the instructions on
their converters.

Alternately, you may have to buy the converters - they're cheap.

Count yourself lucky you're an alfista :

My brother recently took his BMW 3-series to Tuscany for the annual
family top-up of wine / food / sun.

Being a law-abiding individual, he wanted to purchase headlamp
deflectors for the trip.

As he couldn't find anything suitable in the local motor spares
emporium, he turned to his BMW dealer -

"Yes sir, no problem, we can provide 2 small pieces of sticky-backed
plastic, plus two sachets of wet-wipes to remove the adhesive residue
from your headlamps on your return to the UK. That will be £28.00
please. "

This is not a mis-print.
Old June 20th 08, 10:50 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_3_]

"petek" > wrote in message
> I'm intending to take my 156 1.9 m'jet JTD (2005) to France next month
> and need to arrange the necessary "blanking off" of the headlights to
> avoid dazzling oncoming Frenchmen.
>
> The last time I took my own car abroad was quite some years ago and on
> the older style headlamps it was easy to figure out the appropriate
> area on the lens and cover it with some black insulation tape.
>
> Being a bit of a miser I don't want to buy a set of converters unless
> I can help it. Does anyone know how I can determine which area on the
> 156 headlamp lens needs blanking off? (and indeed will this work on
> the latest type headlamps?)
>
> TIA
> petek

Park in front of something so you can see the headlight pattern, or even
hold something in front of the headlights so you can see where the light
goes and you need to mask off the light that points up and to the left - any
light that would dazzle on-coming traffic on the left.