Plymouth Fury

Old September 8th 04, 03:04 PM
dreas

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
om...
> > I wasn't even aware that the Fury was built much after the 70s.

> The name was in use almost to the end of the 80s. They called it the
> "Gran Fury"; along with the very similar Dodge Diplomat it was one of
> the stereotypical squad cars of the decade. See for instance
> http://www.allpar.com/model/fury.html

I have one of these, an '87, and as a primary car it's just the right size
with excellent visibility in all directions. It says 'Caravelle' on the
trunk
lid, but it's RWD and has a 318...

> Unless it is truly in little old lady/church/etc. condition or has
> some special (and documentable) provenance, the cash value and
> collector interest of that last generation would be modest. They're
> decent enough grocery-getters if you get a good example.

I find mine to be a much better car than any of the K-car based
models being produced at the same time, and it would be very hard
to convince me to trade it in for anything else. I prefer it to the '95
Crown Vic taxi that I drive daily, and I doubt that such a no-nonsense
car will ever be built again...

It was also cheap.

-'dreas

Old September 8th 04, 04:04 PM
Charlie Self

dreas writes:

>I find mine to be a much better car than any of the K-car based
>models being produced at the same time, and it would be very hard
>to convince me to trade it in for anything else. I prefer it to the '95
>Crown Vic taxi that I drive daily, and I doubt that such a no-nonsense
>car will ever be built again...
>
>It was also cheap.

Had a Crown Vic, hated it. Seating was impossible for a 240 pounder who was
also 6'2"...about like a Saturn.

Your last line indicates exactly why it will be some time before we see low
end, good cars again. They are cheap, thus the margin is low (relatively). Look
at models like the Geo and the Escort. Models either grow in size and cost or
die.

Look around and check out the number of smaller, lower cost vehicles that are
worth having these days. Then check out the number of bloated SUVs and pick-up
trucks. For some real fun, try to buy a real working farm pick-up truck, with
rubber floor mats, 3 on the floor (hell, even on the column) and a straight 6
or small V8 and NO fancy crap.

Charlie Self
"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and
hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
Old September 9th 04, 12:18 PM
dreas

"Charlie Self" > wrote in message
> dreas writes:
>
> >I find mine to be a much better car than any of the K-car based
> >models being produced at the same time, and it would be very hard
> >to convince me to trade it in for anything else. I prefer it to the '95
> >Crown Vic taxi that I drive daily, and I doubt that such a no-nonsense
> >car will ever be built again...
> >
> >It was also cheap.

> Had a Crown Vic, hated it. Seating was impossible for a 240 pounder who

was
> also 6'2"...about like a Saturn.
>
> Your last line indicates exactly why it will be some time before we see

low
> end, good cars again. They are cheap, thus the margin is low (relatively).

Look
> at models like the Geo and the Escort. Models either grow in size and cost

or
> die.

Well, the abovementioned car sat on a used car lot for several months before
came along, and the salesman nearly begged me to take it off his hands.
AFAIC,
it was the best car on the lot for the same reasons nobody else wanted it.
The
public is convinced that RWD V8's are bad, power everything and air
conditioning
are a must, and the car must look like a jelly bean. I remember when power
brakes
and steering were a big deal...

> Look around and check out the number of smaller, lower cost vehicles that

are
> worth having these days. Then check out the number of bloated SUVs and

pick-up
> trucks. For some real fun, try to buy a real working farm pick-up truck,

with
> rubber floor mats, 3 on the floor (hell, even on the column) and a

straight 6
> or small V8 and NO fancy crap.

I could probably get one easily when U-Haul flips over its current pickup
fleet...

Heh. A few years ago I was in the market for a truck. I looked at Suburbans,
but I wanted one like the '79 I once had. I was told that I had to special
order
rubber floor covering, I had to take the automatic, and still the price was
way
too high. I also looked at Dakotas. The one I wanted with the two-door ex-
tended cab, V6, 5-speed, and few options would have to be special ordered,
but for just a little more I could have the one on the lot with all kinds of
crap
on it that I didn't want. All of it was too expensive...

-'dreas

Old September 9th 04, 01:05 PM
Charlie Self

dreas responds:
>I could probably get one easily when U-Haul flips over its current pickup
>fleet...

Now, I hadn't thought of that. I'll be wanting to change soon, as I think I
said. My S10 is too small and too gutless.

>Heh. A few years ago I was in the market for a truck. I looked at Suburbans,
>but I wanted one like the '79 I once had. I was told that I had to special
>order
>rubber floor covering, I had to take the automatic, and still the price was
>way
>too high. I also looked at Dakotas. The one I wanted with the two-door ex-
>tended cab, V6, 5-speed, and few options would have to be special ordered,
>but for just a little more I could have the one on the lot with all kinds of
>crap
>on it that I didn't want. All of it was too expensive...

Well, I'd love an auto instead of my current 5 speed, but that's mainly because
I'm in the line for a knee replacement before year's end (I hope). I also live
in Virginia, so AC is kind of nice. But otherwise, I can live without
carpets--very easily--and a simulated wood dash and plus seats and such. A
plain old bench seat with good headrests for protection and a decent seat belt
set up and I'm fine. I don't even need a radio/tape player, etc. I keep
forgetting it's there, and when I turn it on and get an announcer, I usually
turn it right off. I gotta listen to enough idiots for my work.

Old September 9th 04, 08:32 PM
Charlie Self

Robin Banks offers:
>> I could probably get one easily when U-Haul flips over its current pickup
>> fleet...

>Err, I dunno. I had a friend that was a UHaul manager. I was in the market
>for a box van kind of truck (for a company I worked for), and they've got
>those PU front end with a box on it kind of trucks, so I was shopping. My
>buddy warned me strongly not to buy it, and told me to go to Ryder or
>Hertz/Penske instead.
>
>He said that UHaul has a tendancy to run their trucks into the ground before
>offing them, whereas Ryder/Penske do it at regular intervals.
>
>He himself bought a used Ryder van (which said something to me), so that's
>what I did... bought a Ryder, and the company's still using it. (8 years
>later.)

When we were moving earlier this year, we rented a couple of cargo vans from
Enterprise. They appear to keep those in great shape.

Got the bigger truck from Budget, and it was OK, too. That doesn't say either
of them won't grind 'em up and spit 'em out before selling the older units, but
for PUs and small vans, I was led to understand they got rid of them before
wear got too bad.

Worth checking, maybe.

Old September 10th 04, 02:54 AM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> For some real fun, try to buy a real working farm pick-up truck
> with NO fancy crap.

I'm told that you can manage this by going to a truck center or a
dealer that advertises its liking for fleet sales. If you come in
with a knowledge of what you want and what it sells for, and your
financing prearranged, the story goes, you can get a good deal on a
workaday sort of truck -- efficiently. Never had occasion to try it
myself.

Cheers,
--Joe
Old September 10th 04, 10:11 AM
Charlie Self

Robin Banks notes:
>Fleet auctions can be a good place too. Just look for local fleet suppliers,
>then call and ask when & where they dispose of their old stock. They're
>happy
>to tell you, since they just want to get rid of them when it's time for next
>year's fleet to come in

I should have thought of that. Many years ago, I worked as an insurance
investigator for a very short while. A lot of driving at 6 cents a mile. One of
the guys I worked with used to buy telephone company cars when they were rolled
over...IIRC, about 70,000 miles back then. Usually a couple hundred bucks,
lasted him a year or so, then on to the next auction.

Pay was so poor he couldn't buy two at once!

Old September 10th 04, 11:05 AM
Hans Sundkvist

Say What???
I am not very familiar vith the american used car market, but a couple
hundred $$ for a 70,000 mile car sounds *very* cheap!
And for such a "hardly broken in" car to only last a Year???

What kind of cars were those? Yugos?

Regards,
/Hans Sundkvist
Ostersund
Sweden

Old September 10th 04, 11:23 AM
Charlie Self

Hans Sundkvist responds:

>Say What???
>I am not very familiar vith the american used car market, but a couple
>hundred $$ for a 70,000 mile car sounds *very* cheap!
>And for such a "hardly broken in" car to only last a Year???
>
>What kind of cars were those? Yugos?

Read the entire post...especially the parts about "many years ago" and "6
centers per mile".

The cars were usually small or medium sized, Fords, Chevies, Plymouths,
whatever models were available in the early and mid-60s. Many sold for 100
bucks, those with lower mileage went for a couple hundred. Fleet car mileage
turnover varied, but in many cases, 70,000 miles was a replacement marker.
Metallurgy 40 years ago wasn't what it is today, so a vehicle that made 100,000
miles was a big deal.

Old September 10th 04, 12:13 PM
Hans Sundkvist

OK! I see...

Well, to be honest, my standards is the old Volvos and Mercens-Benz,
that easily roll at least 500,000 km (ca300,000 miles) before showing
major signs of wear... ;-)

I have actually seen many volvo and Benz taxis here in Sweden with over
a million km on the odometer...

My father's 1975 benz rolled over 560,000 km before the rust finally
retired the (still running good) car...

Best regards,
/HS

plymouth duster gopher2 Dodge 0 September 9th 04 05:49 PM
1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv. Rockman Antique cars 1 January 27th 04 03:08 PM
Trophy winning 1969 Plymouth Valiant Peanutjake Antique cars 2 September 18th 03 03:33 PM