Help me diagnose this splutter...

Old August 11th 11, 11:29 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

Default Help me diagnose this splutter...

"Catman" > wrote in message
> On 11/08/2011 08:51, R C Nesbit wrote:
>> Gt spoke:
>>> I got a cable and diag software. I found 2 fault codes: P0300 -
>>> "Misfires
>>> detected (generic) and P0303 - "Cylinder 3 ifnition failures".

>> These are the same fault codes we get on Lesley's 147 2.0TS
>>
>> Code comes on, car is hard to start, rough idle and needs more revs to
>> get
>> moving.
>> Clear the code and everything is fine, but error returns very quickly
>> (10 -
>> 15 miles)
>> This was with the generic software with the cable.
>> I downloaded the AlfaDiag software and it now also reveals P0141
>> "O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)"
>>

> Is this the lambda sensor? I thought it only had one.

I used the FiatECUScan software (as its free) on my 2.0JTS and there are
many Lambda parameters that suggest there are at least 2 lambda sensors,
maybe 4:

Lambda 1 signal (pre-cat)
Lambda signal 2 (pre-cat)
Lambda signal 1 (after-cat)
Lambda signal 2 (after-cat)
Lambda sensor 1 integrator
Lambda sensor 2 integrator
Lambda 1 status (pre-cat)
Lambda 1 status (after-cat)
Lambda 2 status (pre-cat)
Lambda 2 status (after-cat)

Old August 11th 11, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 11/08/2011 11:29, GT wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 11/08/2011 08:51, R C Nesbit wrote:
>>> Gt spoke:
>>>
>>> These are the same fault codes we get on Lesley's 147 2.0TS
>>>
>>> Code comes on, car is hard to start, rough idle and needs more revs to
>>> get
>>> moving.
>>> Clear the code and everything is fine, but error returns very quickly
>>> (10 -
>>> 15 miles)
>>> This was with the generic software with the cable.
>>> I downloaded the AlfaDiag software and it now also reveals P0141
>>> "O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)"
>>>

>> Is this the lambda sensor? I thought it only had one.

> I used the FiatECUScan software (as its free) on my 2.0JTS and there are
> many Lambda parameters that suggest there are at least 2 lambda sensors,
> maybe 4:
>
> Lambda 1 signal (pre-cat)
> Lambda signal 2 (pre-cat)
> Lambda signal 1 (after-cat)
> Lambda signal 2 (after-cat)
> Lambda sensor 1 integrator
> Lambda sensor 2 integrator
> Lambda 1 status (pre-cat)
> Lambda 1 status (after-cat)
> Lambda 2 status (pre-cat)
> Lambda 2 status (after-cat)

Interesting

I think the JTS is a bit more complex, though.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 147 TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 11th 11, 02:41 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:44:14 +0100, "Dave Savage"
> wrote:

>if the compressor (whatever that is) is unwell, how much
>are we talking to get it fixed / replaced ?

First Google guess ( I don't know these guys)

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-Romeo...00000002707188

To this, you will need to add fitting and filling costs. At another
guess, I wouldn't be surprised if that pair added 250UKP to the
purchase price. A refill and leak test alone will be 50-100UKP (ish)
depending on supplier.

If you can see the compressor under the bonnet and it looks a simple
job to replace then the labour might well be less. The 156 tends not
to be that easy to work on and the engine bay can be a bit cluttered
however.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old August 18th 11, 08:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"GT" > wrote in message
b.com...
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> On 20/01/2011 12:13, GT wrote:
>>> 156 2002, 2.0 JTS petrol. I (the car)had a splutter/cough a year or so
>>> ago
>>> and it eventually went away on its own. Its come back now and I would
>>> like
>>> to at least figure out what is causing it, if not fix it. The problem:
>>>
>>> Its independent of gear (done it in 3rd, 4th 5th). I don't tend to rev
>>> over
>>> about 4000 most of the time as its a nice torquey engine. Problem occurs
>>> under load, usually at around 2000 revs. It is repeatable - the 270
>>> degree
>>> slip road onto the M8 at the top of Livingston is about a 50mph corner,
>>> 5th
>>> gear. As I come out of it I speed up to er... 70 (ho humm!) and it will
>>> splutter most times there. It also does it in 3rd coming out of the
>>> silly
>>> little roundabouts they stick along in-town dual carriageway 40mph
>>> stretches. Its a cough/splutter, lack of power, followed by 'beep beep'
>>> motor control failure - go to dealer. As I feel the splutter starting,
>>> if I
>>> back off on the accellerator and just speed up more gradually all is
>>> well.
>>> If I drop a cog and increase the revs, all is fine.
>>>
>>> I have ruled out dirty fuel as its been through several fill ups.
>>> I have rules out engine temperature as it doesn't make any difference.
>>> I have ruled out spark plugs and electrics because the revs are low, so
>>> the
>>> demand is not so much - wouldn't this cause problems at higher revs when
>>> there are more sparks per minute?

>> *maybe*

> I got a cable and diag software. I found 2 fault codes: P0300 - "Misfires
> detected (generic) and P0303 - "Cylinder 3 ifnition failures".
>
> "The emissions Monitoring system has detected misfires, an Air/Fuel
> micture problem or other indicators of emissions exceeding the permissible
> level. Check the plugs, ignition and fuel systems, and the ending
> mechanical condition, and that the oild level is not too high, or oil
> change overdue. Defects contribute also to O2 sensor degradeation and
> premature catalytic converter efficiency loss.
>
> The reason for this fault is that the EDU has received very high signal
> from the sensor. The fault is not is not detected now, but it is stored in
> memory. Clear fault codes, and observe for future appearance of the same
> fault. Dashboard warning light was activated for this fault."
>
> Sounds like the spark plug or wiring is failing on cylinder 3. I checked
> out the throttle sensor and whatever I did to the pedal, the software
> reported a valid position - I couldn't get the graph to flicker or jump at
> all.
>
> Any thoughts to add?

Still not done anything about this yet, but another point to report that
might point to something specific: I've been experimenting over the last few
days and it appears to behave perfectly (faster) when the engine is cold -
only starts to splutter under heavy engine load and after the temp guage
starts to move - maybe over 60deg.