Radio Code

Old June 11th 10, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage[_3_]

Default Radio Code

Slightly OT, but here goes : my son has lost the radio code for his Ford KA.
If you lose the radio code, is it reasonable for a dealer to charge £30 to
obtain it for you ? I would have thought it's a quick query on a
computerised database - £5 to charity would be a fair charge.

Dave S... 156 2.0 (and I know my code)

Old June 11th 10, 04:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:08:41 +0100, "Dave Savage"
> wrote:

>Slightly OT, but here goes : my son has lost the radio code for his Ford KA.
>If you lose the radio code, is it reasonable for a dealer to charge £30 to
>obtain it for you ?

If you think about *all* the labour and equipment overheads plus the
need to make a profit to stay in business, £30 sounds reasonable to
me. Doesn't mean to say I'd *like* to pay it but that's another issue.

>I would have thought it's a quick query on a
>computerised database - £5 to charity would be a fair charge.

I've never been to a main dealership (or Indy for that matter) and
thought any were remotely charitable organisations! I've had favours
as a regular but little else.

Your son needs to organise himself a bit better if he hopes to glide
through life in an easier low cost fashion than would appear to be the
case! ;-)

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old June 11th 10, 05:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage[_3_]

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:08:41 +0100, "Dave Savage"
> > wrote:
>
>>Slightly OT, but here goes : my son has lost the radio code for his Ford
>>KA.
>>If you lose the radio code, is it reasonable for a dealer to charge £30 to
>>obtain it for you ?

> If you think about *all* the labour and equipment overheads plus the
> need to make a profit to stay in business, £30 sounds reasonable to
> me. Doesn't mean to say I'd *like* to pay it but that's another issue.

OK - point taken.

>>I would have thought it's a quick query on a
>>computerised database - £5 to charity would be a fair charge.

> I've never been to a main dealership (or Indy for that matter) and
> thought any were remotely charitable organisations! I've had favours
> as a regular but little else.
>
> Your son needs to organise himself a bit better if he hopes to glide
> through life in an easier low cost fashion than would appear to be the
> case! ;-)

Equally valid point. In his defence, he doesn't share my enthusiasm for the
internal combustion engine, and regards a motor car as an expensive lump of
metal whose sole purpose is to transport him from A to B. Where did I go
wrong ??!!

Old June 11th 10, 09:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Dave Savage > wrote:

> Slightly OT, but here goes : my son has lost the radio code for his Ford KA.
> If you lose the radio code, is it reasonable for a dealer to charge £30 to
> obtain it for you ? I would have thought it's a quick query on a
> computerised database - £5 to charity would be a fair charge.

2 things worth trying:

1. Pull the radio, as it has often been scribbled somewhere on the
casing with permanent pen.

2. Google something along the lines of 'Free Ford Radio Decode' - there
are some free programs out there which can calculate codes from serial
numbers.

If that fails, I'd probably junk it and fit a 50 quid Lidl special that
does MP3 / iPod connectivity.

--
SteveH
Old June 13th 10, 09:35 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Dave Savage spoke:
> Slightly OT, but here goes : my son has lost the radio code for his Ford KA.
> If you lose the radio code, is it reasonable for a dealer to charge £30 to
> obtain it for you ? I would have thought it's a quick query on a
> computerised database - £5 to charity would be a fair charge.

Only ever happened to me once, in a 2nd hand Rover 800, and I phoned the
original dealer, they called me back within the hour, free, gratis, and very
civilised.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old June 13th 10, 08:47 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:08:45 +0100, "Dave Savage"
> wrote:

>In his defence, he doesn't share my enthusiasm for the
>internal combustion engine, and regards a motor car as an expensive lump of
>metal whose sole purpose is to transport him from A to B. Where did I go
>wrong ??!!

Like all parents, at the point of conception. After that, parents are
on a Roller Coaster they have little control over. It's a survival
exercise. Yes you can teach them some things they want to learn but
not 'sense'..

Old June 14th 10, 09:56 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dave Savage > wrote:
>
>> Slightly OT, but here goes : my son has lost the radio code for his Ford
>> KA.
>> If you lose the radio code, is it reasonable for a dealer to charge £30
>> obtain it for you ? I would have thought it's a quick query on a
>> computerised database - £5 to charity would be a fair charge.

> 2 things worth trying:
>
> 1. Pull the radio, as it has often been scribbled somewhere on the
> casing with permanent pen.
>
> 2. Google something along the lines of 'Free Ford Radio Decode' - there
> are some free programs out there which can calculate codes from serial
> numbers.
>
> If that fails, I'd probably junk it and fit a 50 quid Lidl special that
> does MP3 / iPod connectivity.

I think Ford radios are sort of built-in to the dash - not standard size and
not easily replaced without leaving big gaps, or unsightly plastic
surrounds. I might be wrong tho.

Old June 14th 10, 11:21 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

"GT" > wrote:
> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Dave Savage > wrote:
>>
>>> Slightly OT, but here goes : my son has lost the radio code for his
> > > Ford
>>> KA.
>>> If you lose the radio code, is it reasonable for a dealer to charge
> > > £30
>>> obtain it for you ? I would have thought it's a quick query on a
>>> computerised database - £5 to charity would be a fair charge.

>> 2 things worth trying:
>>
>> 1. Pull the radio, as it has often been scribbled somewhere on the
>> casing with permanent pen.
>>
>> 2. Google something along the lines of 'Free Ford Radio Decode' -
> > there
>> are some free programs out there which can calculate codes from
> > serial
>> numbers.
>>
>> If that fails, I'd probably junk it and fit a 50 quid Lidl special
> > that
>> does MP3 / iPod connectivity.

> I think Ford radios are sort of built-in to the dash - not standard
> size and
> not easily replaced without leaving big gaps, or unsightly plastic
> surrounds. I might be wrong tho.

You just get a fascia surround from Halfrauds. Like the the one I got
for my GT.

--
Catman (.sig limited by device)
Old June 14th 10, 11:57 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> "GT" > wrote:
>> "SteveH" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> 2 things worth trying:
>>>
>>> 1. Pull the radio, as it has often been scribbled somewhere on the
>>> casing with permanent pen.
>>>
>>> 2. Google something along the lines of 'Free Ford Radio Decode' -
>> > there
>>> are some free programs out there which can calculate codes from
>> > serial
>>> numbers.
>>>
>>> If that fails, I'd probably junk it and fit a 50 quid Lidl special
>> > that
>>> does MP3 / iPod connectivity.

>> I think Ford radios are sort of built-in to the dash - not standard
>> size and
>> not easily replaced without leaving big gaps, or unsightly plastic
>> surrounds. I might be wrong tho.

> You just get a fascia surround from Halfrauds. Like the the one I got
> for my GT.

Yes - that's the 'unsightly plastic surround' I was talking about. I have
one in my 156 and it doesn't quite match the colour of either the radio or
the aluminum effect part of the centre console. Also, its clips didn't hold
it in place very well as the front of my radio is removable for security and
it tended to pull the fascia off most times too! Bluetac was the answer to
that by the way!

Old June 14th 10, 12:37 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

"GT" > wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> "GT" > wrote:
>>> "SteveH" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> I think Ford radios are sort of built-in to the dash - not standard
>>> size and
>>> not easily replaced without leaving big gaps, or unsightly plastic
>>> surrounds. I might be wrong tho.

>> You just get a fascia surround from Halfrauds. Like the the one I
> > got
>> for my GT.

> Yes - that's the 'unsightly plastic surround' I was talking about. I
> have
> one in my 156 and it doesn't quite match the colour of either the
> radio or
> the aluminum effect part of the centre console. Also, its clips didn't
> hold
> it in place very well as the front of my radio is removable for
> security and
> it tended to pull the fascia off most times too! Bluetac was the
> answer to

that by the way!

That's a shame. I don't even notice mine is there any more. It blends in
pretty much perfectly and certainly shows no inclination to come out
with the radio fascia, although the removal of that is fun and exciting

--
Catman (.sig limited by device)

Radio Code KWS Mazda 8 February 7th 07 08:24 PM
156 Radio Code Rock Beer Alfa Romeo 2 October 6th 06 06:03 PM
Radio code Richard Alfa Romeo 10 February 4th 06 09:54 PM
radio code opunarms VW water cooled 0 November 29th 05 09:03 PM
first dead battery, now no radio. code ? what code ? Scott Audi 12 January 25th 05 05:07 PM