TOCA Race Driver II (PS/2) - review of sorts...

Old October 28th 04, 04:02 PM
AndyC

Default TOCA Race Driver II (PS/2) - review of sorts...

I know it's not PC (as it were) but if anyone's interested, below is a
recent post I made about the PS/2 TOCA Race Driver II game after someone
asked if anyone had played it. It's a bit sim-like so I thought you might be
interested...

"anyone played etc etc..."

I have. And still playing TOCA RD (1) too, so have been able to do a fair
comparison.
Gear: PS/2 to 21" TV, Digital Surround, Logitech GT Driving Force Steering
wheel.

For:

Graphics - Although some reviews have said that curbs etc are poor quality
polygons, you really don't notice it. And what's more everything else makes
up for it. It really is a nice game to sit back and watch the reply of, or
maybe enjoy on a longer straight.

Sound - Sound is excellent, esp' if you can get surround. hearing the cars
behind and the engine in front etc is spot on. What's more in replay mode
the classic doppler (Sic?) sound as a pack of cars go past is excellent.

Physics - Great. Really do feel like you're connected to the road. Lots of
feathering the throttle on exit of corners, and not so easy to lock up as it
was in TOCA RD 1.

Damage - Pretty good. but I'm not sure why I always have a dent in the back
of the car like I've reveresed into a lamp post every time I brush a
barrier. TOCA RD 1's damage was better, but the the car graphics are better
in RD 2.

Driving in a pack - The SEAT racing was a blast. Really close racing and
probably the best racing in a game I've ever done (although I did feel I
had a speed advantage!). Generally though the race experience is excellent.

Against:

Physics - I know it was a for, but it's just too real. Or just too stiffled.
When you startup it defaults to "sim" which is basically massive traction
control and a bit of ABS. It makes it easier to drive for sure, but you keep
getting terrible bogging down out of the corners if you induce a little
slide. If you select "pro race mode" (and why can't you save this!!!) then
it's almost too much, anything with over 300Bhp is basically like driving it
on ice. Lots of fun but really not a race winning proposition. There needs
to be a sliding scale on the traction control or something to dial it in as
you need it (a bit like F1 04).
Oh, and rally mode (which I've been trying out) is ****-poor I think.
Someone needs to be shot, after a few goes on GT3 or WRC2.

Locked tracks - This is a big disapointment. When you start you have only
two classes unlocked. And only a few cars at that. As you progress (see
below) then you unlock more classes, but you have to be demon quick to
unlock all the cars in that class. As a simulator it's too much like arcade
mode.

Career Progression - No chance to qualify. No chance to setup car. No chance
to learn the track it seems. All a bit clunky when it comes to the career
mode. Amazing as it is I think I preferred TOCA RD 1 for this, and I thought
that was bad!

Top speed handling - 150Mph in a DB9 down the back straight of Bathurst and
if eyelid twitches I'm off... it's too sensitive with a L'tech Driving Force
wheel. It's almost impossible to not crash when at full chat which is a real
shame, and I'm dreading my first big car race at Monza or similar!

Driving view : Why isn't there an uninterrupted head hight driving postion,
ala GT3. I'm stuck with bumper cam, or roof cam which is plain silly when
you're racing the F150 trucks...

Overall :

I'm frustrated every time I play it. But I'm really enjoying the racing.
I think if I was to go and do a few laps of GT3 I'd probably go off TOCA RD2
quite quickly, but at the moment I'm enjoying the pack race feel.
Is it better than TOCA RD1? Not sure, a I think so, but to be honest RD1 is
a friend I know well, and a good race will get you to the front. In RD2 (and
"pro race mode") a good race will get you into several spins...

Would I recommend it?
If you've got RD1 and GT3 probably not to be honest. If you want a very nice
looking game and a more "arcade" feel than RD1 then it's probably the one.

Final word:
Perhaps I'm hard, after all I'm not a professional racing driver, so my
ability to drive a GT40 round Leguna Seca without traction control might be
accuratley represented in the game. But why have a game that reflects
reality to readily? better to have one that flatters a bit ;o)

Old October 29th 04, 11:42 PM
Destroy

<snip decent review>

Question that comes to my mind is why the heck didn't you simply wait
for GT4?

Old October 30th 04, 04:57 AM
crossbone

Let it be known that on Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:42:33 GMT, Destroy
> wrote:

><snip decent review>
>
>Question that comes to my mind is why the heck didn't you simply wait
>for GT4?

Online play, more real racing circuits, car damage, online play, more then 5
opponents, $30 price, and online play.

Old October 30th 04, 01:37 PM
Dave

In article >, crossbone > wrote:
>Let it be known that on Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:42:33 GMT, Destroy
> wrote:
>
>><snip decent review>
>>
>>Question that comes to my mind is why the heck didn't you simply wait
>>for GT4?

>Online play, more real racing circuits, car damage, online play, more then 5
>opponents, $30 price, and online play.

Yes, the choice of racing circuits in this game is terrific! A
lot of courses you'll never see elsewhere.

And getting tired of waiting for Godot, err GT4!
Old November 1st 04, 09:23 AM
AndyC

"Destroy" > wrote in message
> <snip decent review>
>
> Question that comes to my mind is why the heck didn't you simply wait
> for GT4?

I was going to, but GT4 is now slated for early 05... too far away.

And, compared to GT3, TOCA RD1 was the better race track racing game. Better
AI and better (i.e. real) tracks.

Don't really regret buying it I think.

AndyC