156 Airbag recharge

Old September 6th 10, 01:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Malcolm Osborne

Default 156 Airbag recharge

My '99 vintage 156 TS is now 11 years old, coming up for an (expensive) 280
000Km service! Have to change cambelt once again.

A while ago, I noticed a sticker on the doorframe stating that the airbags
should have had the gas cylinder(s) recharged by 2009. I'll get that checked
at the service, but has anyone had that done? Presumably this would be one
of your MoT check items (which we don't have here)?

Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Old September 6th 10, 01:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
> My '99 vintage 156 TS is now 11 years old, coming up for an (expensive)
> 280 000Km service! Have to change cambelt once again.
>
> A while ago, I noticed a sticker on the doorframe stating that the airbags
> should have had the gas cylinder(s) recharged by 2009. I'll get that
> checked at the service, but has anyone had that done? Presumably this
> would be one of your MoT check items (which we don't have here)?

After 10 years, they take the airbag out and fit a large spike. That is a
much safer option - nobody speeds, nobody crashes, everybody pays 100%
attention to the road etc etc..

;-)

Old September 6th 10, 02:06 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Malcolm Osborne wrote:
> My '99 vintage 156 TS is now 11 years old, coming up for an (expensive) 280
> 000Km service! Have to change cambelt once again.
>
> A while ago, I noticed a sticker on the doorframe stating that the airbags
> should have had the gas cylinder(s) recharged by 2009. I'll get that checked
> at the service, but has anyone had that done? Presumably this would be one
> of your MoT check items (which we don't have here)?

Not an MOT item. I spoke to my tame expert, whose reaction was basically
'no one *ever* changes the generator'

BTW it's not a cylinder, it's a gas *generator* which is a euphemism for
'bomb'

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old September 6th 10, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Malcolm Osborne > wrote:

> My '99 vintage 156 TS is now 11 years old, coming up for an (expensive) 280
> 000Km service! Have to change cambelt once again.
>
> A while ago, I noticed a sticker on the doorframe stating that the airbags
> should have had the gas cylinder(s) recharged by 2009. I'll get that checked
> at the service, but has anyone had that done? Presumably this would be one
> of your MoT check items (which we don't have here)?

My 4 year old car hasn't had working airbags for at least 2 years.

I'm working on the assumption that I won't crash it!

--
SteveH
Old September 6th 10, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Malcolm Osborne > wrote:
>
>> My '99 vintage 156 TS is now 11 years old, coming up for an (expensive) 280
>> 000Km service! Have to change cambelt once again.
>>
>> A while ago, I noticed a sticker on the doorframe stating that the airbags
>> should have had the gas cylinder(s) recharged by 2009. I'll get that checked
>> at the service, but has anyone had that done? Presumably this would be one
>> of your MoT check items (which we don't have here)?

> My 4 year old car hasn't had working airbags for at least 2 years.

Serious question, how do you know?

> I'm working on the assumption that I won't crash it!

Spoken like a true biker

Old September 6th 10, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> > My 4 year old car hasn't had working airbags for at least 2 years.

> Serious question, how do you know?

The airbag light has been on since before I bought it, and Alfa Diag is
telling me about a couple of errors it can't clear.
--
SteveH
Old September 6th 10, 10:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> SteveH wrote:

> >> Serious question, how do you know?

> > The airbag light has been on since before I bought it, and Alfa Diag is
> > telling me about a couple of errors it can't clear.

> Ahh. I thought that was an MOT fail.

No - airbags aren't a testable item.

If they were, I'd be removing the wiring from the lamp and fitting a
delay timer to it. ;-)
--
SteveH
Old September 6th 10, 11:46 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
Catman > wrote:
> Malcolm Osborne wrote:
>> My '99 vintage 156 TS is now 11 years old, coming up for an (expensive) 280
>> 000Km service! Have to change cambelt once again.
>>
>> A while ago, I noticed a sticker on the doorframe stating that the airbags
>> should have had the gas cylinder(s) recharged by 2009. I'll get that checked
>> at the service, but has anyone had that done? Presumably this would be one
>> of your MoT check items (which we don't have here)?

> Not an MOT item. I spoke to my tame expert, whose reaction was basically
> 'no one *ever* changes the generator'

No one, ever? Anyone here perhaps? :-)

The sticker on my 156 says to replace them in 2011 and I was just
wondering on how to replace those things. Haven't looked in the
on-line catalogs yet, but I have a suspicion that those 'bombs' are
not on sale just everywhere. And that replacing them might be
considered hazardous job only to be carried out by qualified
personell.

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

The party adjourned to a hot tub, yes. Fully clothed, I might add.
-- IBM employee, testifying in California State Supreme Court
Old September 7th 10, 05:59 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Stef wrote:
> In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
> Catman > wrote:
>> Malcolm Osborne wrote:
>>> My '99 vintage 156 TS is now 11 years old, coming up for an (expensive) 280
>>> 000Km service! Have to change cambelt once again.
>>>
>>> A while ago, I noticed a sticker on the doorframe stating that the airbags
>>> should have had the gas cylinder(s) recharged by 2009. I'll get that checked
>>> at the service, but has anyone had that done? Presumably this would be one
>>> of your MoT check items (which we don't have here)?

>> Not an MOT item. I spoke to my tame expert, whose reaction was basically
>> 'no one *ever* changes the generator'

> No one, ever? Anyone here perhaps? :-)

Or no one that Jamie Porter has ever done business with, which is
probably a rather larger sample

> The sticker on my 156 says to replace them in 2011 and I was just
> wondering on how to replace those things. Haven't looked in the
> on-line catalogs yet, but I have a suspicion that those 'bombs' are
> not on sale just everywhere. And that replacing them might be
> considered hazardous job only to be carried out by qualified
> personell.

I set off a seatbelt pre-tensioner in SWMBO's 145 a couple of years
back. I still recall looking repeatedly at my hands and counting as I
simply could not believe my luck. Don't mess with them is my advice. YMMV.

Old September 7th 10, 06:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> Stef wrote:
> > In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
> > Catman > wrote:
> >> I set off a seatbelt pre-tensioner in SWMBO's 145 a couple of years
> >> back. I still recall looking repeatedly at my hands and counting as I
> >> simply could not believe my luck. Don't mess with them is my advice. YMMV.

> > That would be my advice as well, but the sticker say otherwise. ;-)
> >

> Pretty sure the manual advises one to give it to a professional.

The most sensible advice is don't worry about it - but most of all,
don't crash.
--
SteveH

a/c recharge ? randy pape Technology 1 July 7th 07 11:25 PM
AC Recharge 98 A6 2.8 ddayaudi via CarKB.com Audi 4 May 1st 07 08:26 PM
alpha romeo 156 airbag light on matt2386 Alfa Romeo 4 December 7th 06 04:05 PM
Alfa Romeo 156 Airbag control warning light active again so no protections E Maurer Alfa Romeo 5 December 15th 04 05:00 AM
AC recharge on a C3 JR Corvette 24 September 27th 04 04:17 AM