Drilling out sump plate holes ACCURATELY

Old December 18th 13, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Chris Hiebert

Default Drilling out sump plate holes ACCURATELY

Hi all,

I have a 1600 with some bad oil leaks around the studs which hold the sump plate to the bottom of the block. Some of them are quite loose and easily come out with only finger pressure, so I'm thinking I may have to drill/tap the holes out and get stepped studs, hopefully tightening everything up and stopping the leaks. While I'm in there I'd lock-tite the studs in as well.

First of all, does that sound like the right way to go?

Second, and more importantly, how do I go about drilling these holes out STRAIGHT?

The engine is in a Kombi so getting under it with a drill is not a problem, but keeping the drill straight so the holes don't end up cockeyed is what concerns me. Is there some kind of jig for a portable drill that could do the trick, or some other magic method that one can use?

Just thought of a third question: Are stepped studs a better way to go than helicoils?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 19th 13, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Just a thought. I,ve never seen a "guide" as such but..... is it possible to
reverse the plate and bolt it to sump via say 2 bolts and drill remaining
holes using that as guide?.
Swap over to drill remaining two. Used to be able to get oversized studs but
not sure if still available.
Have a good Christmas
John

Old December 20th 13, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Thursday, 19 December 2013 01:50:35 UTC+10:30, Chris Hiebert wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have a 1600 with some bad oil leaks around the studs which hold the sump plate to the bottom of the block. Some of them are quite loose and easily come out with only finger pressure, so I'm thinking I may have to drill/tap the holes out and get stepped studs, hopefully tightening everything up and stopping the leaks. While I'm in there I'd lock-tite the studs in as well.
>

> First of all, does that sound like the right way to go?
>

> Second, and more importantly, how do I go about drilling these holes out STRAIGHT?
>

> The engine is in a Kombi so getting under it with a drill is not a problem, but keeping the drill straight so the holes don't end up cockeyed is what concerns me. Is there some kind of jig for a portable drill that could do the trick, or some other magic method that one can use?
>

> Just thought of a third question: Are stepped studs a better way to go than helicoils?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Have a look at this product. John at aircooled.net rents the tools to do the job completely. You have to buy the inserts, and the new 6mm studs if the old ones are looking a bit ratty.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Big-Ser...ental-5610.htm

Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
www.vw-resource.com
Old December 24th 13, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Chris Hiebert

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:20:35 AM UTC-6, Chris Hiebert wrote:

John, that seems like a really good idea! Just thinking about it, though, since I'm trying to drill the case holes bigger that would mean I'd end up drilling the plate holes bigger too, which maybe isn't what I want.

Rob, I like the look of that tool set. I've heard a lot of talk of Timeserts in the same circles as Helicoils, and people seem to be going more with Timeserts.

Thanks guys, both of you have given me some new ideas and roads to explore.
Old December 24th 13, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Chris Hiebert

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:20:35 AM UTC-6, Chris Hiebert wrote:

John, that seems like a really good idea! Thinking about it more, though, if I'm trying to drill the case holes bigger that would mean I'm also drilling the plate holes bigger, which I probably wouldn't want.

Rob, that's an interesting tool set. I've seen a lot of talk about timeserts in the same breath as helicoils, and people seem to lean more towards the timeserts.

Thanks! You've both given me some new ideas and roads to explore, once the Kombi emerges from the snowbank it's currently in.