#2 cylinder not firing

Old November 26th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A VFW[_2_]

Default #2 cylinder not firing

boy, am I perplexed.
seems there's miss. I pulled spark plug wires out of the dist. cap , one
at a time at idle.
of course each wire pulled produced a noticeable bigger miss until I got
to #2. I replaced the distributor cap , the plug, wire and checked the
compression.
WTF could it be?
Old November 26th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 26, 12:24*pm, A VFW > wrote:
> boy, am I perplexed.
> seems there's miss. I pulled spark plug wires out of the dist. cap , one
> at a time at idle.
> of course each wire pulled produced a noticeable bigger miss until I got
> to #2. I replaced the distributor cap , the plug, wire and checked the
> compression.
> WTF could it be?

Did you remove the valve cover and confirm that both valves open and
close normally on #2?

Chris
Old November 27th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

A VFW wrote:
> boy, am I perplexed.
> seems there's miss. I pulled spark plug wires out of the dist. cap , one
> at a time at idle.
> of course each wire pulled produced a noticeable bigger miss until I got
> to #2. I replaced the distributor cap , the plug, wire and checked the
> compression.
> WTF could it be?

Compression really *is* good?

Possible vacuum leak, at manifold-to-head gasket for one.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old November 27th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A VFW[_2_]

In article
" > wrote:

> On Nov 26, 12:24*pm, A VFW > wrote:
> > boy, am I perplexed.
> > seems there's miss. I pulled spark plug wires out of the dist. cap , one
> > at a time at idle.
> > of course each wire pulled produced a noticeable bigger miss until I got
> > to #2. I replaced the distributor cap , the plug, wire and checked the
> > compression.
> > WTF could it be?

> Did you remove the valve cover and confirm that both valves open and
> close normally on #2?
>
> Chris

well, I did check the compression , it's 150 in #2.
and I did check the lash on all cylinders.
The weird part is I located the miss by looking for the spark to jump
into the cap on each cylinder and #2 had no spark jump when I held the
wire close to the socket. all other cylinders had the spark jump just
fine.
thanks for the suggestions.
Old November 27th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

A VFW wrote:
> In article
> >,
> " > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 26, 12:24 pm, A VFW > wrote:
>>> boy, am I perplexed.
>>> seems there's miss. I pulled spark plug wires out of the dist. cap , one
>>> at a time at idle.
>>> of course each wire pulled produced a noticeable bigger miss until I got
>>> to #2. I replaced the distributor cap , the plug, wire and checked the
>>> compression.
>>> WTF could it be?

>> Did you remove the valve cover and confirm that both valves open and
>> close normally on #2?
>>
>> Chris

> well, I did check the compression , it's 150 in #2.
> and I did check the lash on all cylinders.
> The weird part is I located the miss by looking for the spark to jump
> into the cap on each cylinder and #2 had no spark jump when I held the
> wire close to the socket. all other cylinders had the spark jump just
> fine.
> thanks for the suggestions.

"and #2 had no spark jump"
Ah.

That is a horse of a different color.

Curious. And you replaced the cap and the wire(s).

Is it remotely possible that the Coil is not producing
any spark when the distrib cam lobe for #2 gets in position
to open the points?

If this is a vac distrib, also have a look at the tiny
braided pigtail connected to the advance plate. If broken,
that can interrupt spark (though why only #2 is a mystery).;

Jim
Old November 27th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I have once seen a dead cylinder spark with an electronic ignition kit
installed in the distributor!

So I will ask if you have points or is the distributor now equipped with
electronic ign?

I usually sand the area where the condenser grounds to make sure that does
not cause problems.
I have seen a tachometer cause problems too!

I will assume that you do not have fuel injection on this engine!

AND why don't people give more pertinent information when posting a
question?
What year?
Which model?
What size?
Stock or non-stock? If non-stock what mods?

Old November 27th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A VFW[_2_]

In article >,
Speedy Jim > wrote:

> A VFW wrote:
> > In article
> > >,

> >> Did you remove the valve cover and confirm that both valves open and
> >> close normally on #2?
> >>
> >> Chris

> > well, I did check the compression , it's 150 in #2.
> > and I did check the lash on all cylinders.
> > The weird part is I located the miss by looking for the spark to jump
> > into the cap on each cylinder and #2 had no spark jump when I held the
> > wire close to the socket. all other cylinders had the spark jump just
> > fine.
> > thanks for the suggestions.

> "and #2 had no spark jump"
> Ah.
>
> That is a horse of a different color.
>
> Curious. And you replaced the cap and the wire(s).
>
> Is it remotely possible that the Coil is not producing
> any spark when the distrib cam lobe for #2 gets in position
> to open the points?
>
> If this is a vac distrib, also have a look at the tiny
> braided pigtail connected to the advance plate. If broken,
> that can interrupt spark (though why only #2 is a mystery).;
>

> Jim

Well, Mystery solved!
after replacing just about all of the above, I thought why just one
cylinder not getting the juice. why , the distributor wasn't doing it's
job. So, I grabbed one off an engine that was running fine. and Voila!
so, I just assumed, even tho. the cam in the old 009 "looked" OK, it
must be worn down on #2.
I may even extract the "shaft" to measure it. No, it doesn't seem to
wobble.
thanks , again for your suggestions. Boy, when these cars get old , they
sure try some "interesting'" tricks. Who's the turkey?
g.
Old November 28th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

strange but thanks for providing us with the solution to the problem! ;-)